Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Sewing things together is the primary reason I don't do projects with granny squares. Well, that and the fact I can't seem to make any two squares the approximate same size! :think

I'm planning on joining the strips as I go, or I may never get the darn thing assembled!

Anna:hook

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Rose! I finished my cousin's blanket on the looooong (18 hour flying and 2 layovers as well) flights and will be posting a pic of it as soon as I get one.

I'm bound and determined to join FIL's blanket this week before I head out to Colorado next Wednesday. (anyone know what day today is? I seem to have lost track...)

Greetings from the world traveler! I just got back (last night) from China.

Glad to see some new/returning faces around here.

Melibean, I'm with Rose on this one. I truly dislike handsewing, so I 'cheated'. I joined my strips with slipstitches. On my original that's been through the wash a couple of times now I can barely even tell that it wasn't whipstitched together. When you first do it, you can see a bit of a ridge on one side (make sure to join from the same side on all strips or it might look a little funky...) but now it's great!

First, welcome back Addey! I can't imagine the memories you must have!

I was late finishing the flannelghan for my wife's birthday (last Saturday - but I did show it to her and she's thrilled :manyheart ) and now I remember why I like to make one-piece afghans :lol - sewing is NOT my favorite thing! I'm not finished yet, but should finish by this weekend (OMG - that's TOMORROW! :eek ).

On my next one, I'm going to try the slip stitch technique, too.

I'll post pics when I finish.

OooOOOoooo I can't wait to see the pics Gene! I'm glad she's thrilled. (Then again, if she's anything like me, I'm thrilled with anything someone speficically makes just for me, doubly so if it's my hubby.)

I do get to see a lot of places, but mostly here in the US and in the middle of nowhere more often than not. See, I do training at power plants, and they tend not to be in the middle of everything. That's OK though, I'd much prefer the country than the city any day. If you want to read some of my memories and see some of my photos, check out my blog (also below). I occasionaly include craft stuff, but not so much lately.

Today is Friday. Go catch up on our jetlag hun!

Can't wait to see pics!

Gene - you're in good company. This is why I made it in strips instead of blocks. I tried going straight across and I got so tangled up in the disaster spread out in front of me that i just cut all the skeins off and stuffed it in my 'better than being sent to her room where all the good stuff is' bag! (I'm such a mean mommy!)

3 strips officially joined!!! 2 more and I'm done although I think it might be time to put it to the side again since it is getting warmer again It took me 20 min to finish the last part of strip 3 last night and I was sweating horribly when I was done that I had to put it down and just try to cool off. I never though i would say this but I can't wait for fall and winter. I have so many things I want to do but I can't do it in the summer.

Addey,

Thanks for the heads up on your blog - I'll definitely check it out!

Michele,

We think alike - sometimes I do more work trying to get around the joining thing than it would have been just biting the bullet and sewing.

Anna,

Granny Squares aren't my favorite, that's for sure. So when my daughter asked me to do this one, I almost croaked:

th_2000-10-20-butterfly_blanket2.jpg

I couldn't refuse. The result was worth it.

That's her when she was 12 - now she's a mommy herself.

Wow! Very cool. You're such a good dad to do that for your daughter. It looks great and it looks like she really loves it.

I plan on taking some time tomorrow to start joining strips and finish downloading pictures from the camera and writing up the rest of my trip...

It's finished! It's only a week late (was supposed to be for her birthday last Saturday), but she understands, especially since I was trying to do this in secret, and could only work on it while she was out of the house. :hook

Anyway, here it is, done in Flannelghan style using P hook (11.5mm) and two strands of RHSS in Light Sage and Lavender.

1231448259_bce9c29a1e_m.jpg

░░░░░░░░░░(clickable)░░░░░░░░░

1232312844_7b56dcc397_m.jpg

Don't look at the floor - I was making the bed and decided to take the pictures.

As much as I dislike sewing, I am pleased with the look. She has seen the colors, but not the finished project. She'll be home from work in about an hour. It'll be on the (made up) bed when she walks in the bedroom.

Gosh! Making the bed and you crochet!! I wish you were my husband! That looks beautiful!

That's awesome! can't wait to hear how much your wife loves it!

Where can we get one of you?!? Hubby that crochets and strips/makes the bed! Sounds like you're a keeper!

Did I mention that I make her breakfast after her all-night shift? :manyheart

She LOVES my vegan oatmeal pancakes. (If you want the recipe - let me know).

Beautiful and such soothing colors, Gene.:clap

...oh, sharing a recipe?? I'd love to see what that pancake recipe looks like.

Cool pics. When do you head out again?

Wednesday, this time to the Golden, Colorado area. Not quite so exotic, but more my style. This means I'll have had almost a week at home, but it doesn't feel that way. I'm just glad I was awake enough when scheduling this trip not to do it earlier in the week... Monday is my 2nd aniv. and Tuesday I have my first dr. appointment for my pregnancy. So... needless to say, my traveling days are numbered, which is fine by me at this point.

Thanks Rose.

Unfortunately, there may be a problem. I woke up spotting heavilly this morning and my doctor hasn't given up hope, but does have concerns.

Please keep me in your thoughts and pray if you're so inclined. I don't ask often, but I need a little hug now. (and DH has been more than supportive today, but he's hurting and scared too.)

Maybe you need to cancel this trip. Seriously. If you can afford to (or scrape by if you can't).

Of course you're added to my prayers hun. :hug You have more thoughts, prayers and hugs being sent to you then you'll know what to do with .:hug

I know how stressful spotting is. :( Try to keep calm. Stressing more won't help. Think of it as your body saying slow down and take care of me. :c9

Don't forget - send hubby out for Dove Unconditional Chocolate:yes (pint size so it's a single serving). It's so good it makes everything better.:yes

:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Archived