Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

:yay WOOT!!! Extra yarn!! I have that hoodie pattern and yarn for it. I love the fact that it came in about a million different sizes. I'm going to make mine in a blues colorway. I hope it turns out nice. I think I'll start that one right after I finish MIL's blanket.

I didn't get the blanket done last night. I logged out and just crashed. I may not get to it tonight, even though Jim works late. I'm going right from work over to my "sister's" house to watch her daughter for a few hours untill her ex can get there.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uboo....you're right, I'm sorry! I got confuzzled. :lol

Yes....Rose's wedding was a highlight!! I got to spend some quality time with an aunt and some cousins this year, too. I have a new neice (unless there's something hiding in the ultrasound! lol) due in November.

I did something somewhat unusual today, though. I paid to join a website. I'm (we're...I am still having a hard time with that after 2 years!!) really strapped for cash, but I felt this was necessary. I joined www.richardsimmons.com today. I weigh around 312 pounds. My cholesterol is high. My mother had a heart attack at 54, her father had his first at 55 (and is still alive, but is 91 with Alzheimers).

I have his Foodmover, and lost 50 pounds once before. I can do it again. The hard part is getting it through my DH's head that it HAS to be done...and when he's at home we don't do restaurant portions. :) (He's a chef, so that will be hard for him! lol)

And as a reward for exercising? Why, crochet-time of course!! :lol

Just an idea, but i heard that instead of a normal dinner plate use a smaller plate then the portions will not seem so small. I seen it on a health channel. He did a survey thing. He gave people a big plate and asked them to surve them selves then he did the same thing with a smaller plate. and the smaller plate had less food but looked almost the same. I hope this can help.

I've thought of that, Amanda, but we don't have smaller plates! LOL I just need to learn when to say when and watch what I eat and get off my duff. :) Thank you for the thoughts, it feels great having people here to help me!!

I went to Wal-Mart in Huron, and they had Jiffy Softee Chunky for $1 a skein! I bought "hot blue," "circus," and "carnival." for hoodies!! :lol I didn't get quite enough of the "circus" but I'm heading to another town today and hopefully I can get the same yarn there. :) This means, with savings like that, I will probably (maybe) get the Romance yarn...6 skeins, though! YIkes!! I will see if there is a comparable yarn for less, though, too. Always frugal...:lol

We're not getting the back door after all. We'll see what my BIL can find and if he can't find one I'll get the one I really want next pay day. With DH having had to run to Sioux Falls for a funeral, I had to pay both house & car insurance with the check, so that put us short this payday. It's all good though, as long as we behave with the checkbook. :)

I won a Slimaway on eBay, so I'm waiting for that to come in the mail!! :lol And I'll be ordering for my flannel-ghan this afternoon, after I get back from town. Tomorrow we'll be at the laundromat washing our king-sized comforter (someday I'll have a washing machine big enough to handle it! :lol), so I'll get groceries then, too.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Wow! Sounds like you've gotten things going in a positive direction, or at least forward! :P

Every time I pick up my FIL's blanket to finish this one last round on the border, I keep getting called away.... Hopefully I'll finish it today so I can wash it tomorrow. I have to frog and restart my MIL's (not flannelghan, something much more 'girly'). The test swatch I did was great but used a different yarn. With the right yarn, the overall width is about 5-10 inches too small!! It would make a great baby blanket though. :lol I'll have to keep it in mind for future projects. I'm going to do a test with the right yarn 1 hook size up. It'll have to be 'good enough' because I don't want to go higher than a K with a single strand of Caron SS.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend. I am.

I'm leaving for Orlando tomarrow morning! We have FRONT ROW CENTER concert tickets for the BLACK SABBATH/DIO Reunion Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!

I will give you my whole yarn stash if you take me with you!! I have every DVD/CD of Black Sabbath and Ozzy, you have to report every single moment

I'm jellous too. I'm not as huge a fan as Uboo is... but still... that's a concert not to miss!

I'm done!! I finished the OU Flannelghan for my FIL!!! (I decided not to put an OU on it, I just couldn't get it to work out the way I wanted to and decided it would be overkill.

th_OUFinished.jpg

Here's a detail of the edge.

th_OUCornerDetail.jpg

And as you can see, Scout approves of it. (She said she had to test it out for Popop Jim.....)

th_ScoutSnuggle.jpg

It was such a nice day out I decided that I had to get pictures outside in the better light. Therefore, Scout and I headed out to the park and playground a few blocks from the apartment. There were tons of kids out. The kids giggled while Scout played on the equipment, but I got lots of strange looks from the other parents. I guess they've never seen a teddy bear who loved the playground that much. :shrug You can see the pictures from our adventures here or read about them here. I didn't post the finished flannelghan pics there because sometimes my MIL reads my blog and you can see my Flickr photos from the blog.

Enjoy and I hope you're having as nice weather as we are!

Addey - BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE IT!!

RoseRed - I'm jealous!! Have a blast!!

I just dropped....:eek $87.57 at http://www.yarnsupply.com (I couldn't remember what people thought of them...I hope it's all good!!). Knitting-warehouse did NOT have the green I needed!! And, since I was going to spend $12 in shipping, I added $21 in more yarn to get free shipping...:think That adds up, right?? :lol

So...to recap: Yarn for 2 flannel-ghans; 2 more of the circus softee chunky to round off what I got at WM for 3 hoodies; and I am going to substitute Bernat Soft Boucle in Earth Shades for the Lion Brand Romance on that pattern floral fantasy pullover pattern. Afghans first, then I think I will do a hoodie and the floral fantasy at the same time. Heck, I may just have 4 workbaskets going at once...:lol

Now to go finish that baby hearts blanket...I realized part way in that it's kind of like a mile-a-minute pattern. I've since told DH and DS that if I ever even consider a MAM pattern, to just shoot me on the spot. :lol They're very pretty, but I just am having a hard time finishing it up.

But I have 3 of 10 strips connected...yay me!! :cheer

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure Jim's dad will love it too. I got the edging out of a book of edgings I bought a while back. I wanted something kinda big (without it, it only came up to DH's waist, but almost to my armpits and his dad is almost as tall as he is) but not 'girly'. I think I suceeded. It gets washed tomorrow and then put away. If I get his mom's done by the end of the month, they'll be getting them for their birthdays (both in October), if not, they're getting some other little things we picked up and the blankets for Christmas.

Have fun Rose and I'll try and remember to remind you on Monday! :P

Addey, that's beautiful! I love the color scheme, too:clap

I've decided to do this ghan for my friend after all...:blush I need something warm, speedy, and with minimal attaching!!:hook

Hey Darski....:hug

OK - popping in with my coffee here - mornin' everybody.

Addey - got you posted in post 1 - make sure the colors are right.

morrigan - it's not a MAM pattern - it's a scarf pattern that mulitplies like cute little bunnies! lol

I can't wait - gotta go get ready!

RoseRed - either way...lol Even though I had the heart strips all matching...when I started to connect them, so far I have 2 out of 4 that are shorter. Or 2 out of 4 that are longer. :lol Take your pick!

I'm off to the laundromat today to wash our comforter (it's a king), so I will work on this a bit up there, too. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

RoseRed - looks good, although technically it's crimson and cream, but close enough.

Heather- I know what you mean. I'm surprised that all my strips for the two flannelghans I've done are all exactly the same length, well, within .25 inches and who cares at that point, that's just ease. Good luck with the joining.

Thanks. I'm sure baby won't mind, but I know my brother will point it out!! :lol

I'll ask this in the "help" section too, but maybe someone here can help. I'm doing the hoody pattern from Bernat. I got the Softee Chunkee Carnival yarn, and I've done about 6 inches of the back and already gone through 1 skein. The pattern calls for 4, I bought 5. I need to check my gauge yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm fairly close. Any suggestions other than gauge?? It also seems to be tighter than the pattern, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not using the denim or the pink camo they did...any thoughts? I'll try to post a pic tonight if need be....

Have a great Monday all!!

I got that same hoodie pattern. I got it off of one of the super big skeins they had at JoAnn's over the winter. I'm wondering if they were refering to 4 or 5 of those, not the 'standard' skeins? I bought 4 or 5 of the big skeins, figuring if I have too much, it is great for a really warm baby blanket. :D

It's been a while since I've posted but I did manage to finish my "Chicago Bears" colored afghan for my friends for X-mas.

IMG_6056_edited.jpg

I have also begun another one with some yarn that my MIL got at a rummage sale for a total of $2.00. It's a fingering weight yarn in gold and brown. The finished ghan will be lapghan size but for $2 who can complain!!??

Archived