Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Try loosely tying the corners, where each color change occurs, then it'll be lined up correctly and be easier for you.

thanks, I am using safety pins and it seems to be coming out straight :D

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Addey - I am very sorry for your loss. :hug :hug :hug I cannot imagine how you must be feeling, so I will just pass along some :hug

Uboo - I will be doing 2,using Bernat Super Value. :) One will be silver and deep sea green, the other will be black and medium navy. Both are Christmas gifts. :) And don't worry about being alone for too long...I have a lofty goal of around 20 to make for Christmas next year!!

Oh my, we better get going then :clap I am thinking of doing another one, but next time in a light and dark colour so you see the pattern a bit better..can't wait for you to start yours. the colours sound gorgeous

Darski I adore that blue ghan...it's gorgeous would love to curl up in it..

I think once the pink is sewn together and the border on it will be fine, I think it looks pretty.

Darski, you could always do a "girlie" border on the pink one...you have me thinking now.:eek

The one for a friend is pink and white, and i've only done a few rows to get it started. Maybe I should morph it into a RR...In fact, I may just have talked myself into it. I certainly have PLENTY of yarn for it!

I LOVE the way the blue turned out!!:clap

Darski,

Thanks for sharing the pics.

The blue one looks great!

Maybe the smaller one, because of the smaller blocks, needs a different stitch - hdc instead of dc? Or extended hdc (ehdc)? I haven't made anything with it, but have tried it on a test swatch. Makes a nice fabric.

I think I forgot to post the final picture of my ghan when it was finished. I kept it very simple and did not add too much in the border because it just didn't seem to need more. This will be spending its life in a truck sleeper so this seemed to be good to go...

lumber1-1.jpg

I really liked this (blue) one but the pink and white one is just awful and should not be seen in public.

Does anyone have an explanation of why a smaller, pink and white version just didn't work? I know "Darski did it" could explain much of the problem. I was thinking that the pink is too pale with the white but the lovely ghans we are seeing here with subtle colours would seem to say that strong contrast is not what is needed... :sigh

I did get this pic of it not yet completed...

pink1.jpg

It looked worse when it was finished. I figured it would do to put on a floor for a baby... who doesn't know any better :rofl (Let's hope that baby doesn't grow up to crochet that awful scarf. Is it possible that early exposer to ugly crochet caused that.... hmmmnn :think )

Darski I am doing a smaller version I used a 7 hook, and for my blocks I chained 25, and am doing 12 rows of each block, maybe that would help?

Hey Darski, the blues are great.

I think the pink is OK, but not seeing it in person could change my perception. (Great, there I go with the big words again...)

I think it's the pink. I'm not fond of that color pink. I actualy haven't seen any pinks out there that I really like. This is a problem as my MIL asked for an afghan in "pinks and purples". I'm in trouble. I can find lovley purples in all kinds of shades, but no pinks I'd use on an adult blanket, and not many for a child's either.

And I really am doing just fine. The emotional pain is gone, there's just this longing of sorts every time I see a family in the airport or whatever. Then again, I'm not sure I've ever really known how to grieve. I've never grieved long over loosing a family member or a thing. (I do get very attached to my things and do feel sad when they break, get lost or are replaced... odd, but true.) I miss my great-grandmother, but even shortly after she died I was at peace about it... only a week or two really. And this wasn't even really a baby yet, barely past the ball of random cells stage. I don't know, I'm rambling, but really, I'm fine. The optimist in me is back and so is my humor, so life is good.

Thanks for all the hugs though, I really do appreciate them and did need them last week.

just starting my fourth strip, and ended up frogging what I had stitched together, not the strips just the whip stitching, it was just off enough to drive me nuts :P I am strange like that, so anyway, I am going to stitch her all together again and will post an updated pic soon.

I managed to do 2 1/2 strips on the long drive to visit my SIL this weekend. Could have done more, but we spent a large portion of the trip back talking about a kitchen remodel. :eek

Hopefully I can finish the third strip watching the Nascar race Saturday and make a good dent in the 4th watching football on Sunday.

Anna:hook

I managed to do 2 1/2 strips on the long drive to visit my SIL this weekend. Could have done more, but we spent a large portion of the trip back talking about a kitchen remodel. :eek

Hopefully I can finish the third strip watching the Nascar race Saturday and make a good dent in the 4th watching football on Sunday.

Anna:hook

i am still utterly amazed at how quickly they do work up.

I am so tempted to try one in rose and green for my aunt... but her LR is a bit fussy for this .. :sigh

They do work up quick.. at least until I get to the joining together part. My FIL's is sitting in the back bedroom mocking me every time I go in there. I still haven't joined even two of the strips together. I really need to get off my butt and do this...

well I can't believe this, I had finished almost four strips, and ran out of yarn, I had bought whatever Michaels had..not knowing how much I would need.

Guess what? I can't even come close to matching the dye lot on the green..So I have to frog the whole thing and start over..:(

Now I am not one to share personal stuff, but hoping someone might have some words to cheer me or help me to feel brave.

I went for my yearly mammagram last week, got a call last night that the Dr. found something suspicious, and I have to go back for a cone one..Am I freaking out? a little, it's the waiting. My Mom was diagonosed at the exact age I am right now, my grandmother was dead at 40..

I am going to crochet my heart out and try and keep my mind busy, thanks for listening.:manyheart

well I can't believe this, I had finished almost four strips, and ran out of yarn, I had bought whatever Michaels had..not knowing how much I would need.

Guess what? I can't even come close to matching the dye lot on the green..So I have to frog the whole thing and start over..:(

Now I am not one to share personal stuff, but hoping someone might have some words to cheer me or help me to feel brave.

I went for my yearly mammagram last week, got a call last night that the Dr. found something suspicious, and I have to go back for a cone one..Am I freaking out? a little, it's the waiting. My Mom was diagonosed at the exact age I am right now, my grandmother was dead at 40..

I am going to crochet my heart out and try and keep my mind busy, thanks for listening.:manyheart

:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

We are here and praying for you.

Have you already frogged it all? I would be tempted to make borders the newest art form rather than undoing it all. :eek

last October I knitted 7 scarves using the Knitty dot com hearts pattern to give to women who are survivors and they have all been around for at least 5 years. They have made progress so all is not lost.

I second what RoseRed said!!

I mean, I came here for the CAL, but have found several shoulders to lean on this summer... 2007 has been a tough year for my family and we're all just ready for it to end so we can start fresh with 2008.

If they didn't find it last year, but found something this year, chances are pretty good you found whatever it is early. There have been wonderful strides in all medicine in the last several years.

But yes, crochet your mind out and keep those hands busy. (Although, I didn't touch my hooks at all last week... I just didn't want to... haven't done much this either... guess I needed a short break :shrug)

thanks everyone, I go from complete panic to thinking whatever happens I can deal with...,I really wish the Dr's didn't give us so long to wait. I read on the internet, a recall mammogram is in the top ten for stress on a woman..

anyway I have almost finished two strips now, Darksi I hated to frog it, but I wanted to save my burgundy, it was the green that couldn't be matched..the yarn is $5.00 a skein so I am trying to save every bit of burgundy I can.

I will never buy Patons again for a big project, their dye lots are so far off, and Michaels never carry enough for a large afghan.

Cost of yarn so far $160.00

stress relief priceless :D

Cost of yarn so far $160.00

stress relief priceless :D

I like to keep my afghan costs to under $100 if possible and preferably under $50 - I look for sales, use coupons. I also like to use "no dye lot" yarns for that very reason, so I can go back and get more if needed.

Just sending some :hug :hug :hug your way Uboo!!

It's been a stressful year, I think, instead of a lucky one. Even with my now working full time, we still are scraping by. They lost another banquet chef where my DH works, and wanted to hire an old one back at $2 more an hour than what he's making!! His boss said NO WAY....give the chef's position to my DH and hire the other guy back to work UNDER my DH. Now no one knows what the board will do, so a raise is not looking promising. *sigh* His aunt, who took him & his sister in the summer their father died while my MIL got set up in a new home (he was 11, she was 8, I believe), passed away last night, so a funeral is coming up for him. I can't go, because I can't miss work. :(

I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my mother's unexpected death (heart attack at 54 with no warnings, but she did have high BP), so I'm a bit off-kilter.

I better hush now...go clean house before I start bawling!! :lol

:hug :hug :hug to all of us!!

I like to keep my afghan costs to under $100 if possible and preferably under $50 - I look for sales, use coupons. I also like to use "no dye lot" yarns for that very reason, so I can go back and get more if needed.

Trust me it was not my intent to spend this money lol, and in Canada we don't have the selections of yarn you have..makes me so mad. I did look for no dye lots but it was all cheap horse blanket type stuff :lol If I make another I'll order Carons for sure I found a site that has it for $1.84 a skein and very reasonable s&h.

I figure I'll have some left over skeins to take back.

Just sending some :hug :hug :hug your way Uboo!!

It's been a stressful year, I think, instead of a lucky one. Even with my now working full time, we still are scraping by. They lost another banquet chef where my DH works, and wanted to hire an old one back at $2 more an hour than what he's making!! His boss said NO WAY....give the chef's position to my DH and hire the other guy back to work UNDER my DH. Now no one knows what the board will do, so a raise is not looking promising. *sigh* His aunt, who took him & his sister in the summer their father died while my MIL got set up in a new home (he was 11, she was 8, I believe), passed away last night, so a funeral is coming up for him. I can't go, because I can't miss work. :(

I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my mother's unexpected death (heart attack at 54 with no warnings, but she did have high BP), so I'm a bit off-kilter.

I better hush now...go clean house before I start bawling!! :lol

:hug :hug :hug to all of us!!

:hug to you, it seems all these things come at once doesn't it? I lost my mom at a young age, so I so understand...when the one year was coming up, I made a real conscience effort not to put too much on it, not sure if that makes sense, but I think we fear and dread the one year so much that we make it harder, I found the day was not near as hard as I thought it would be, My Mom died on Mother's Day so I get it all at once.

Do you have kids? I made it a point on the one year day to take my daughter (who was very young then) to the park for the day, I could hear my Mom saying "don't you dare waste a day missing me, spend time with your daughter "

I will be thinking of you :manyheart

Thank you Rose Red. She died the Monday before Thanksgiving, so I'm muddling through. :) I try not to think about it too much, but when I have questions on things, I'm so used to just calling her up, and I can't do that anymore! :lol Dad just doesn't have a clue about things like sewing! :lol

Our birthdays were May 10 (mine) and May 17 (hers) so this last May was kind of rough. We went back to the Hills the weekend of the 18th and spent it with my Dad and my brother and his family, and just drove around the Black Hills. It was a nice time. :)

I think what hurts the most is when I realize I don't miss her...is that horribly awful?? I miss her with all my heart, don't get me wrong. At family things, like this past May, I don't really realize she's gone. That's when I really start tearing up inside, I guess.

Ah well...all things pass with time, right? :)

I am very grateful that 2 weekends before she passed, we went back for my DS's 14th b-day and she had just finished up a knit afghan for him, like the ones she made my brother and me as kids. It was almost like she knew it was going to happen. She made sure we made it back for his b-day/Thanksgiving (we did both that weekend, because it's so expensive to travel). All of Dad's laundry was done, all of her stuff was put away. The house had just been cleaned, she had most of the Christmas shopping done. It was like she got it all ready, then just said OK, let's go.

Doggone it....gotta go...eyes are wet! :)

My mom and dad weren't very "crafty" people, which is amazing because I remember visiting my grandparents and my grandfather (at least on my dad's side) was always showing me how to make toys out of little bits of wood. And of course, my grandmother taught me how to crochet and knit - (OMG - that was over 50 years ago). By the time I got serious about my crochet, my grandmother was gone.

For my next flannelghan, I'm going to use the larger skeins - like Caron Pounder and Red Heart Jumbo. That will reduce the cost (and the color choices). I'm also going to try to make it in one piece using the tapestry crochet method by carrying the unused color along and bringing it up for the color change. I dislike sewing the strips together so much, I'll try ANYTHING to avoid it. It will also be done in half double crochet or similar stitch for a tighter look. A tighter stitch will help hide the unused color, as well. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you Rose Red. She died the Monday before Thanksgiving, so I'm muddling through. :) I try not to think about it too much, but when I have questions on things, I'm so used to just calling her up, and I can't do that anymore! :lol Dad just doesn't have a clue about things like sewing! :lol

Our birthdays were May 10 (mine) and May 17 (hers) so this last May was kind of rough. We went back to the Hills the weekend of the 18th and spent it with my Dad and my brother and his family, and just drove around the Black Hills. It was a nice time. :)

I think what hurts the most is when I realize I don't miss her...is that horribly awful?? I miss her with all my heart, don't get me wrong. At family things, like this past May, I don't really realize she's gone. That's when I really start tearing up inside, I guess.

Ah well...all things pass with time, right? :)

I am very grateful that 2 weekends before she passed, we went back for my DS's 14th b-day and she had just finished up a knit afghan for him, like the ones she made my brother and me as kids. It was almost like she knew it was going to happen. She made sure we made it back for his b-day/Thanksgiving (we did both that weekend, because it's so expensive to travel). All of Dad's laundry was done, all of her stuff was put away. The house had just been cleaned, she had most of the Christmas shopping done. It was like she got it all ready, then just said OK, let's go.

Doggone it....gotta go...eyes are wet! :)

I think you were replying to me but I am not sure lol..anyway you cry when you want to cry, it's the people that don't cry and grieve that run into problems. I found the first year the silliest things made me cry, would you believe it was once Butterball turkeys? lol I was shopping and it was around thanksgiving and when I saw the turkeys I remembered all the Christmas's and stuff and had a total meltdown in the meat section.

I think we have to remember we don't get over loss, we go through it. Our lives won't be the same but it's not to say they won't be good.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty when you don't feel bad, I remember one day I realized I hadn't thought about Mom for a few days, and felt terrible guilt right away, but I also knew my Mom would give me a good kick in the butt if I was sad everyday.

Believe it or not you get to the point where you can remember your loved one's and laugh, it all takes time. :manyheart

Archived