Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Geesh! I'm down to the last panel of the next-to-last strip, and I'm out of yarn! I'll have to get some more before continuing (next weekend).

Laying out the 7 panels per strip and 7 strips wide makes it approximately 63 inches x 67 inches (not sewn yet) without the edging. I figure another 3 - 4 inches for the border, depending on the style I pick. That makes it big enough for our king sized bed.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Sounds nice Gene! I hate when I run out of yarn at the end of a project. Should be nice and warm and snuggly too.

I haven't joined the strips for FIL's yet. I came home with a tight back and now it feels like someone is trying to remove my left shoulder blade with a screwdriver or pry-bar.... And, since I'm a lefty, I doubt I could hold onto the hook well enough to join anyhow :P What's that quote about mice and men?? :lol

Cool! Mine got put on hold.... again... to work on a baby blanket for my cousin. His wife is due next month :eek I've also decided with finances this way, I'm going to put off giving the in-laws their blankets until Christmas. We have small b-day stuff for them already.

I have 7 panels sewn together, which just takes forever. You know?! I realized when I was sewing a panel on this morning that I somehow messed up and am missing a panel. SO, I have to work on that one really quickly later on. It'll work out in the end.

Well, I finished with the ghan. Not sure I'll start another. I'm in the middle of a graphghan and a few other projects. Although, I did thoroughly enjoy this ghan. Here's a picture.

00195gyb1090668058

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. I think the person it's for will really like it. Although I won't know until Thanksgiving because that's when she gets it!!!

rlanto - I love it!!! That turned out great!!

I have some color ideas for the "ghan-a-thon" I have planned for the next year! lol One cousin (technically my cousin's daughters and son, here) likes blues. For her, I'm thinking denim blue and navy blue? Oh wait....Bernat has a "damson" that I love!! (Just found it! lol) Another cousin likes pinks...and I forgot what she said about her son. lol I'll have to e-mail her.

We just got home from MN and we're almost ready to head out to the drive-in...we're going to see Harry Potter and my son doesn't know it yet!! LOL

I'm getting close to the wire - my wife's birthday is this Saturday and I'm still working on the last strip. She works only one day this week, so it'll be a close call if I make it.

Still have to decide on the border. :think

Good luck Gene! I know how hard that is trying to get those last bits done.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!! I look forward to doing another one soon. I have to get a few more WIPs to take care of before I start another.

Very pretty looking! I'm almost finished my Cousin's blankie (a round ripple in bright rainbow colors). I'm off to China the end of this week until the middle of next. I may put it together next weekend. I sooo can't wait until I can catch a break in this whole travel routine....

Good luck Gene! I'm sure she'll love it when you give it to her.

Very pretty looking! I'm almost finished my Cousin's blankie (a round ripple in bright rainbow colors). I'm off to China the end of this week until the middle of next. I may put it together next weekend. I sooo can't wait until I can catch a break in this whole travel routine....

Good luck Gene! I'm sure she'll love it when you give it to her.

Addey,

What a wonderful experience - one of my daughters spent 8 months in China teaching English. She wants to go back after she finishes college.

I'm really looking forward to this trip, mostly.

The 18-hour flight each way will be killer.

I've been told the translator that my company has hired for the trainers doesn't have a technical background.

I don't know a single word of cantonese. (sp?)

12-hour jetlag can't be fun.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited. I've never been out of North America before. I'm not going to be in Shanghai proper, and from what I understand, the area I'll be in isn't all that much. I shall enjoy it and hopefully get at least a few cool pictures. (Keep an eye out on my blog, that's where I'll post 'em...)

to join this CAL. :hook

My DH picked out a cool pattern that looks like the flannel-ghan, but when I started working on it I just about cried. This pattern was worked across the ghan and you add a new skein for each color change! I hadn't even worked all the way across the foundation row and I already had 8 skeins attached !! :eek

I came and pulled up a picture of this one as asked him if it was OK if I did this one instead. He didn't see that there was much difference and gave me the go-ahead. This is MUCH easier than the other one. :manyheart Love that man!

I'm making this in burgundy and black out of 100% wool. This yarn is a slightly thinner WW and won't be quite as bulky, but will be really warm. I'm hoping I have enough yarn to do this new pattern, but if not, the way it's worked up will be OK if a different dye-lot is used. (I hope!). This is the yarn I'm using. It's really nice to work with so far.:yarnhttp://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/3797/

The other advantage of this pattern over the first one I started with is that I can take this as a road trip project when we drive to Phoenix for Labor Day (about 8 hour trip one-way). There was no way that other one would survive a road trip without getting all the skeins tangled. It would be lying by the side of the road before we even got out of New Mexico!:thair

Looking forward to keeping up with things here!

Anna:hook

Yay we are having a cold couple of days so ya know what that means it is time o grab the flannel gahn again. time to finish strip #4!!!!

I have a question for everyone did you guys whipstitch your strips together or did you do it soe other way?

i was never much of a sewer so this might be a challange but I am on my 5th strip. I'm trying to get it done while it is cold and rainy and such. I just want something I can snuggle under untill I can get to the post office to send it to my mother.

Greetings from the world traveler! I just got back (last night) from China.

Glad to see some new/returning faces around here.

Melibean, I'm with Rose on this one. I truly dislike handsewing, so I 'cheated'. I joined my strips with slipstitches. On my original that's been through the wash a couple of times now I can barely even tell that it wasn't whipstitched together. When you first do it, you can see a bit of a ridge on one side (make sure to join from the same side on all strips or it might look a little funky...) but now it's great!

i'm actually enjoying whipstitching (does that make me strange??? lol) it makes me want to make a bunch of squares just so I can join them lol. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

I have 3 strips almost totaly joined. I have 2 pannels left on the 3rd strip then it is totaly done and then just boom 2 more strips and I am done.

Archived