Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am almost done with my 4th strip!!!!! One more to go and then I join the group of people whoh are no looking forward to joining these. I have never done it before and I guess I should learn to whipstitch sometime.

I am almost done with my 4th strip!!!!! One more to go and then I join the group of people whoh are no looking forward to joining these. I have never done it before and I guess I should learn to whipstitch sometime.

:yay:cheer Join the club, I'm only on my 4th strip and am already not looking forward to the joining. :lol

Like I suggested to Darski, you can use a slip stitch to join with, but you do get a little bit of a 'right' and 'wrong' side. I honestly don't think it makes a big difference to me, but some might. Whipstitch is actualy quite simple, it's almost hard to mess up. (I have though, so it's not impossible...)

PC180026.jpg

Here's a little sample I did up to help with sewing the strips together.

It's a lot easier if you tie the corners together to make sure that all the blocks line up at first.

OK! The wife has gone to the beach with our son and some friends. She said she wouldn't be back until probably after sunset.

I'm home alone, so I can work her green/lavender flannelghan all day. I'm on strip 3 - let's see how far I can get (if I can stay off of Crochetville) :think

840227958_62a21cf882_m.jpg

Lookin' good Gene! I hope to finish my strips tomorrow night. DH is going out with the guys for the evening, so I can just sit and crochet and not have to be social!

3rd Strip Completed:

840811610_fe384433a7_m.jpg

I thought you'd like to see my progress so far. :hook

That is looking so good so far. I really like the two colours and they are working and playing well together :wlol

I can't wait to see the whole thing. :manyheart

These are so fast. maybe I will do the next one in sl st. I hate to give up on these.

That is looking so good so far. I really like the two colours and they are working and playing well together :wlol

I can't wait to see the whole thing. :manyheart

These are so fast. maybe I will do the next one in sl st. I hate to give up on these.

darski,

You've got me thinking about the border (thinking ahead, you know?). It IS a "Lumberjack Flannelghan" which implies masculinity, but it IS for my wife, so I'm seriously thinking of doing a lacier border than originally planned.

Thanks for making me think about it. :hug

darski,

You've got me thinking about the border (thinking ahead, you know?). It IS a "Lumberjack Flannelghan" which implies masculinity, but it IS for my wife, so I'm seriously thinking of doing a lacier border than originally planned.

Thanks for making me think about it. :hug

I can be useful :rofl

I do think you could get away with a little something more.

The border I used on my other one was a little frilly, almost. It was a round of DC and then a round of sc-ch3-sc around. It gave it almost a 'frayed' look to the edge. I'll probably use that again or something simmilar for FIL's. I might try something a little more girly for MIL. I mean, hers will be pink and purple after all....

The border I used on my other one was a little frilly, almost. It was a round of DC and then a round of sc-ch3-sc around. It gave it almost a 'frayed' look to the edge. I'll probably use that again or something simmilar for FIL's. I might try something a little more girly for MIL. I mean, hers will be pink and purple after all....

It was yours that got me thinking of doing something or other for the edge. For my sons, I need that extra length so I think just plain old DC will get me there best but the pink and white... well we will see

Geesh!

I would have finished strip 4 yesterday, but I turned on the TV to watch the Tour de France coverage and made a color change error because I wasn't paying enough attention.

After frogging and restarting after two blocks I had to stop at 4 blocks to make sure it was put away before my wife came home from the beach (surprise, you know?).

Oh well, I'll be able to work on it again Thursday evening and Friday morning. I definitely will finish the 4th strip then - maybe at that time, I'll stitch it together.

My next opportunity will be next week because we'll be on the road until then.

Thanks for all the encouragement. :manyheart

Gene,

That is sooooo pretty!! I'm tempted to do one in those colors for MYSELF!! LOL

Next week I'll be ordering the grey and dark green yarn for my friend's. I can get RHSS less expensively through Crafts. etc. (Hobby Lobby's online store) but I just don't like those colors. I really hope the Bernat Super Values I picked out will look good. I have no way of looking first, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

For my border (I have 2 sides done on the border!!) I did 2 rows of sc in purple, 1 row of sc in variegated, and the last row I'm doing scallops: sc, sk 1, 5 dc in next, sk 1, sc in next, and then I'm doing 3 sc in each corner. It really looks sharp and I hope to have pictures for y'all this weekend!!

oooOOOoo pictures!! I'm planning on getting strip 4, and possibly 5 done tonight while DH is out playing Warhammer with the boys. I'll also finally get around to putting new bateries into the camera and snapping a pic. DH says his dad's really going to like his blanket. I hope he's right. It'll probably be another month until I can order the pink and purple for my MIL's. We had a suicidal AC unit last month and the bills are VERY tight at the moment.

Addey - I soooo completely feel for you!! :hot Last summer we didn't have AC at all. It hit 118 one day, and inside the house my thermostat (which tops out at 90) was beyond pegged. I literally slept through most of the days!! This summer we have 2 window units which helps tremendously. May you get repairs or replacements soon!! :hug

Addey - I soooo completely feel for you!! :hot Last summer we didn't have AC at all. It hit 118 one day, and inside the house my thermostat (which tops out at 90) was beyond pegged. I literally slept through most of the days!! This summer we have 2 window units which helps tremendously. May you get repairs or replacements soon!! :hug

We started out the summer with 3 window units. They were the landlady's. They came with the apartment. Last winter when I wanted to remove them to save the $200/month heating bills, I was given a very stunned look and told 'but they're screwed into the windows!'. I gave up on that fight. In February, the landlady replaced the windows with brand-new vinal windows. DH and I got a friend to help us put the units back in in June. We didn't screw them in because 1, I never have in other places and 2, I'm not putting holes in brand new windows. Well, a week later the one unit decided to commit suicide and land on the sidewalk and hit a parked car. Now the remaining 2 units are screwed in so well it'll take a nuclear blast to dislodge them (her DH did it...), we owe $800+ to the lady who's car was hit, have to replace the 3rd unit if we want one and will now not be able/allowed to remove the units over the winter.

(Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant, but it's been making my last month or so misserable with the already tight finances we have with DH only working part time and me being gone so much on business travel that I just can't stay on top of the bills... What I wouldn't do for a full-time accountant!!)

Archived