Pencil or knife hold?

I hold mine with my thumb and my middle finger and my yarn wrapped around my index finger all in my right hand... I've been told this was the wrong way :lol but it gets the job done. I taught myself with a book that didn't show the hands just the stitches so i just did what was comfortable. I already knew how to knit so my yarn is held like I'm knitting

:cheer If pencil is underhand, then I am a pencil.

Here is a funny wee video which shows my weedy plant pots to best advantage but also shows how I hold my crochet and how easy it is to work this way.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

It's a knife hold for me. I am self taught after first learning to knit. I never knew about different holds, just holding it like a knife gave me more control and an easier way of crocheting. I have been crocheting for years, but am still learning so much about it.

For many years I did the pencil hold and then arthritis started taking over the hands and body and I changed to the knife hold so I could continue to crochet. The pencil hold for me was much faster but am learning to go with a little more speed on the knife hold.

I hold mine with my thumb and my middle finger and my yarn wrapped around my index finger all in my right hand... I've been told this was the wrong way :lol but it gets the job done. I taught myself with a book that didn't show the hands just the stitches so i just did what was comfortable. I already knew how to knit so my yarn is held like I'm knitting

You and I are kindred spirits, then! I thought I was the only one that did that! :lol I am the same way, learned to knit long before a friend taught me to crochet, and holding the yarn in my right hand just seemed to make more sense...much later a co-worker showed me the 'error' of my ways and I re-learned, holding the yarn in my left hand, but still when I start the foundation row or I'm making something small I hold that yarn in my right hand and kind of 'flick' the yarn around the hook as I go...if I try to do it the 'correct' way it just goes all wrong. I do use the pencil grip both ways though.

Archived