JulieKay

ladeis with posted pictures of their afghans nice ones

i just came to step by and say hello to every one

its 2;30 am and i have exam after less than 9hours and i`m not done studying

wish me luck

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The positive is that I have not hit the quilt shops for that time and therefore I may have cured my addiction for fabric :yes I now have to tame the yarn addiction and then I will be cured.:no

Ain't ever happening...curing the yarn addiction! I LOVE walking around the store and petting the yarn:D even if I don't buy any - yeah, right, like that has maybe happened once:( ...and then only because there were so many choices that I couldn't make up my mind on the colors I wanted!:lol

ladeis with posted pictures of their afghans nice ones

i just came to step by and say hello to every one

its 2;30 am and i have exam after less than 9hours and i`m not done studying

wish me luck

Good luck!!:clap :clap Keep calm and you'll do just fine!

Julie, your joining method is the exact way I've always done it, too - and you're right, it does have a beautifully neat look when it's finished.:c9

(...BTW: you explained it much more clearly than I would have!:hook )

JulieKay, Thanks for sharing your joining method for doing afghans with

squares. I been helping put together afghans for Warm Up America at

my local Michaels and your method sounds alot better than the method

we been using. Plus, it will look nicer when finished! Thanks for sharing.

Ines- you might be CURED, but then you will be BORED !!! :lol

To the ladies asking about my handy-dandy joining method-- this is what I do for every afghan done in pieces, then put together .

I lay out the entire thing the way it will be when finished . I start at the top corner and take the first and second row of squares , one at a time and sc them together in the back loop only , then pick up the 2nd square in the 1st and 2nd row, continue adding them on with sc--- I do this clear across the rows ,so at the end , I have the first 2 rows of the project sewn together horizontal-wise .

THEN, I start with the 3rd row, adding that onto the 2nd row in the same way. I do the sewing just like when you sew fabric togeher, place the good sides ( right sides ) together, so you are actually looking at the wrong sides and always using the back loops only . It makes a very neat edging when done, and you can sew on a whole strip at one time .

Of course then the down side is, you will have to go back once all the horizontal rows are done and do all the rows vertically, but they are easier, because everything is at least ATTACHED in the order it goes in already .

Anyhow, that's my way of joining and it seems to go pretty fast .

I've joined mine together this way for as many years as I can remember, my great aunt who taught me said its neater, and of course you don't have all those loose ends.

q8_ crochet All the best for your exam. Will be thinking of you. :cheer

I have spent all morning tidying all the nooks, crannies and corners where I store craft .....I am amazed at what I have acquired.

Julie that is how I pieced the Jewel afghan I made... the one with oodles of 2 inch squares. I usually sew my motifs but this one worked well doing it the way you explained.

I really have to stop acquiring stuff. I have run out of inventive ways of storing my collection. I am certainly not a minimalist.... I am a maximalist...in other words a horder.

Athba- good luck on your test-- what are you studying for ?

It sounds like a lot of you use this same joining method. It really is fast and not bad once you get the hang of it .

Debby- last year, I put together 48 afghans for WUA --- the ladies in our town donated squares to the library, then I put them all together. I used this way to join them since I had so many to do -- I needed a quick way .

Hope it works well for you !

Ines- this sounds like a good challenge for you, if you make it a rule not to buy any more yarn til you use up what you have . That will give you a good experiment to try - and I bet you'll come up with some beautiful projects out of what you have ! :)

Julie, I've not actually joined this CAL yet (although I have been following it...hehehe...). Anyways, I was wondering about your joining method. When you say "back loops only" are they the true back loops, or...? since you're actually sc'ing with the wrong side facing you...or...?

Just curious... :D

Thanks!

~k

Ines- you might be CURED, but then you will be BORED !!! :lol

To the ladies asking about my handy-dandy joining method-- this is what I do for every afghan done in pieces, then put together .

I lay out the entire thing the way it will be when finished . I start at the top corner and take the first and second row of squares , one at a time and sc them together in the back loop only , then pick up the 2nd square in the 1st and 2nd row, continue adding them on with sc--- I do this clear across the rows ,so at the end , I have the first 2 rows of the project sewn together horizontal-wise .

THEN, I start with the 3rd row, adding that onto the 2nd row in the same way. I do the sewing just like when you sew fabric togeher, place the good sides ( right sides ) together, so you are actually looking at the wrong sides and always using the back loops only . It makes a very neat edging when done, and you can sew on a whole strip at one time .

Of course then the down side is, you will have to go back once all the horizontal rows are done and do all the rows vertically, but they are easier, because everything is at least ATTACHED in the order it goes in already .

Anyhow, that's my way of joining and it seems to go pretty fast .

Let me see if i understand this...you sc all of them from top to bottom??Frist 2 rows and then move down the line??This doesnt leave a bulky backside??

Maybe im just confussed on how you do this...i will sit down tonight with a few of them and see if i can figure it out.

Does this idea suck? What if we make the executive decision to post our whereabouts (pics) on our BS's every Friday? A weekly visual update! I mean, for sure post whenever you please, but ... ya know? (I just got a new digital camera for Christmas and I'm so not used to it yet that I forget I actually CAN take pics now! I need incentive even for that. Sheesh, how lazy and forgetful can I really be?)

Brae

Brae, that sounds like a neat idea to me. That would help keep me motivated to make even just a little headway before each posting lol.

I sew them on as I go too so I don't have to count up all the little squares but I have joined one with sc's and I like it that way too.

Everybody's BS are looking real good. I'll get a pic of mine up towards the end of the week.

I like the idea but mine doesn't really change much. Well it might if I spent more time on it I guess. :wlol

...just that it is not like squares where you can see the piles happening.

Hi Kelle and Shay -

Since you both had questions about my joining method, I thought I'd answer you both in one post -

Kelle- If you were looking at your granny square fron the right side, you'd be using the back loop to stitch them together . So, in order to do it the way I do, you'd still be using that loop , BUT ,from the angle you are holding them to put them together, it's actually your FRONT loop or top loop .

* Doggone, this would be so much easier to show someone in person - :lol

Anyhow, let me try to explain it a little bit clearer and see if it helps .

Let's say you have all your squares completed for your afghan. You are now ready to join them together . Start by laying them out in the pattern or design that you are trying to make,so that the entire afghan is laying out in the design it will be when finished .

Start with the 1st square on the first row, and the 2nd square on the first row . Hold them together - RIGHT sides facing each other .Leave a long tail to weave in later, then start by sc'ing into the back loop ( which is actually the ONLY loop you can see real well from the wrong side ) .Sc into that same loop of each of them, then continue across the squares, sc'ing into both your first and second square, so when you are done, they will be hooked together .Don't finish off, just grab the 2nd square from row one and row 2, place them together in the same way you did the first 2, and continue on with your sc's to join them--- do this clear across the afghan, so that you will be joining the first 2 rows together all in one big long strip .

Shay- yes, it does leave a ridge on the back of your work. If you prefer, you can slip stitch using the same method and that leaves a smaller ridge . From the front, it still looks very nice and neat .

I hope this helps explain it a little better . If you still have a question, shoot it my way and I'll try again ! :)

And Kelle-- come on in, the water's fine ~~~~~:help

Brae

Sounds good to me !

Let's designate Friday as our Photo days-- so those of you with cameras that would like to share your photos, I'll ask that we designate Friday as our Photo day -- please post your progress ( or lack of ) :lol ,that day so we can all see what each other has accomplished each week .

Thanks for the idea ~:)

Hi Julie, I am trying to work out how you do your squares and I am still confused. I have never single crocheted my squares together and want to try.

You say to take first square from row 1 and second square from row 1, but dont finish off and take the second square from row 2. Im lost. I need pictures.

Im also having issues with bringing in a new color and using that new color when you come round to it again on the next row.

Can anyone help here.

Im trying to do the casablanca and am having problems with the bi color squares.

Photo friday would be great, just have to remember that it would be my saturday when I post them.

Morning Ladies,

Hope everyone's evening was enjoyable. I like the idea Friday show and tell :lol Sounds like fun. I have hopes of getting somethings done today at work, as I will be stuck behind this computer watching another car auction.

Hi Tracey. You have a great job that you can do crochet while you work. You had better not put your hand up during that car auction. Thats always my fear if I ever went to one. Also being friday soon you will have to have something for show and tell.

Ladies this will be like school where you bring something for show and tell. My girls used to do that in there early primary school years. Kelly is starting grade 7 this year and Emma will be doing grade 5. Do they call it primary school over there. After primary school its High School then University.

H

Ladies this will be like school where you bring something for show and tell. My girls used to do that in there early primary school years. Kelly is starting grade 7 this year and Emma will be doing grade 5. Do they call it primary school over there. After primary school its High School then University.

Kyra is in 4th grade and they call her school Intermediate. They only have 4th and 5th graders there. Elementary is up to 3rd grade. Sean is in 6th grade and goes to the Junior high. And Eric in 10th goes to the high school. Then off to College/University.

Archived