Charity blitz 2007 See totals Post #2

Jimmie Lu

I think if we try hard the blitzers can get the job done of 200 stuffies.

KristenMN here in the board has a ton of free patterns listed here at the ville that are simple and fast. So do a search and see all the wonderful argumi patterns that are out there

Jimmie Lu- In case you haven't noticed..

There aren't many of us left. So 200 stuffies .....HMMM...Tall order. I think I can come up with a few animals.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I provide as much as I can to the months I can make and seem to feel the months I could not do as many as others sorta made me feel I was not good enough so shooting for High number like 200 makes me think I should back out for fear I would not be good enough to be a charity worker

I have 3 shawls so far. I will need the address of who they are sent to. I'm planning on making at least 1 more if not 2 yet this month.

• 2 weeks later...
I provide as much as I can to the months I can make and seem to feel the months I could not do as many as others sorta made me feel I was not good enough so shooting for High number like 200 makes me think I should back out for fear I would not be good enough to be a charity worker

Oh, I sure hope you aren't discouraged if others are able to do amazing things with their time during the month. I sure understand though, that if a member sends in 100 hats for example, that if you're only able to do 3, it might seem like your contribution is small. However, I have to remind myself this too, that each thing that you donate affects someone, the person who receives it. It's like the story of the little boy who is throwing back stranded starfish who have been washed ashore due to the tide. There were millions! Someone asked him why he even bothered, since there were so many starfish, and that he's not making a difference in the large amount of them. He simply smiled, threw one in the ocean, and said "I've made a difference for that one."

This was something I noticed when I first started doing charities. There are sooooo many very worthy charities out there, that deserve all the attention that I can give them. There are so many hospitals, homeless shelters, teen centers, cancer centers, orphans, homeless animals, out there, that if you made one item for each, you'd never send something to every one out there. However, we can make things for the places we are able to do. Even if we're the only person making items, we are affecting the lives of lots of people.

Another way of thinking of this, is not to think of just the one item that you're making. Think of how it'll effect peole in the long run. Perhaps this one item will inspire someone to learn to knit/crochet/sew themselves, and will be able to make items for charity, that will inspire others to make items for charity, etc. and it becomes a cycle of charity. Imagine? Beverly Q. on her (www.bevscountrycottage.com) website that is FILLED with charities and patterns, says that this all started for her when someone made a tiny cap for her preemie. That one cap helped her launch an amazing database for others who are seeking to do charity work. Imagine, if that person had said that their little hat wasn't worth giving, or wasn't important.

I want to encourage you to keep up the wonderful work that is giving to charity. It is hard, and thankless, but know that you are making a difference. Lives are being touched, and people are receiving love from people they may never meet.

You've done so much for this group so far, and I hope everyone keeps working here, even though things have died down a little. I know everyone is busy, but if we can remember that even one small item is a beautiful gift to someone, and will bring them peace and love. I also hope that if you're not able to make that one item, that you are not discouraged, but come back the next month, or whenever you are able to start back up. No one here will reprimand you for leaving, but will rejoice at your arrival! :)

Thank you all for your work! I love looking at the pictures of the beautiful items that everyone has made, and given their time to create. I see so much time and care put into each item, that represent time that you spent away from other duties that you could have been doing. It's such an inspiring thing to see all the hours and hours of work that went into each beautiful creation! I look forward to contributing my shawl this month, and continuing working with this fine group of people.

Sorry for the long post... I just had a lot to say.

Hugs :hug and Happiness:manyheart

Victoria

I sure do 2nd that Victoria!

I'm not able to do a bunch some months but I feel good about the few I made. It never worries me that I'm not doing a ton of items each month. I'm proud of myself to make at least 1 thing a month and made that my goal when I joined the blitz.

I've got only the 3 shawls for this month and will try to get them in the mail by the weekend.

I just wanted to let everyone know I received a box full of 7 beautiful prayer shawls today for the JOY Sisters Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church from Cherri. My friends and I are so thankful to all of you who are making shawls for those in spiritual need.

I'm not sure the post office always delivers packages to the church. The last time I got a package, the church secretary had to go pick up the package. I had no clue the box (it was a small one) wouldn't be just delivered straight to the church. (Not a big deal, the post office is only about 1.5 miles from the church.) But it might be easier on her if everybody just mails their packages directly to me. You can just PM me for my address if somebody else hasn't given it to you already. :)

Thanks again so very, very much!!!!

Finally...here is the wishlist for the Hope Center For Women in Nashville.

I have donated several baby blankets to them. They are always very appreciative.

I spoke with the director and this is what she said they need the most.

Baby blankets-- they put a baby blanket in each new mother gift bag.

Hats and booties

Non crochet related

Extra large to XXX large maternity clothes

New born diapers and size 1 diapers

Size 6 diapers

Johnson and Johnson baby products<-- they put these in the gift bags too.

PM me for my address :)

I have 2 shawls to send in for August. I wanted to get more done but spent most of the most finishing the afghan for May's charity. I still have to trim the fringe and decide whether to knot the ends or brush them out. But I should have them in the mail before too long. My daughter - the tempermental model.

(Images are clickable!)

"]th_prayershawl2.jpg

th_prayershawl1.jpg

LOL! My garage looks like a pack-n-mail store, I have tons of boxes, BUT NEVER the right size.

:lol I know what you mean I have a lot of boxes but they were either way too small or way too big. Had to break down and buy one but got them on their way.

Here's a pic of the shawls I made that are getting sent

th_shawl.jpg. The scalloped shawl came out real pretty, but I had to make it one motif wider than the pattern. The shawl in the back is large enough for a man/large woman.

And here's Princess Stripe on her disaster shawl. My cats really love it when I have disasters. I wont buy Lion Brand Homespun again. The issue was not only Dye-lot, there was a fiber/texture problem also. Anyhow the kitties love their new lounge pad.

th_princess.jpg

Finally...here is the wishlist for the Hope Center For Women in Nashville.

I have donated several baby blankets to them. They are always very appreciative.

I spoke with the director and this is what she said they need the most.

Baby blankets-- they put a baby blanket in each new mother gift bag.

Hats and booties

Non crochet related

Extra large to XXX large maternity clothes

New born diapers and size 1 diapers

Size 6 diapers

Johnson and Johnson baby products<-- they put these in the gift bags too.

PM me for my address :)

just wanted to update who August is for

Well, I know I have not been heard from in awhile, but I have been here lurking. I wanted to thank everyone for their pa

ticipation in the June Blitz. As you can see, we received a really nice assortment for all of those really sweet little souls.

100_2370.jpg

These are being delivered this weekend. Thank you again.

Shari

I did finally accomplish some charity crochet last night since I finished the top I was working on for myself.

I made 2 preemie blankets.....more yarn in the craft bag to work on at lunch today.

Hello Everyone! I know I have been keeping a low profile this summer but I want to thank everyone in advance for the September Charity Blitz. It's for the Agape Clubhouse in Deland, FLorida. They are a Homeless Outreach Center and Soup Kitchen. They serve 1 Hot Meal a Day 7/365.

They also hand out clothing, tolietries, blankets, etc. to the homeless. It is not surprising that Florida has a very large homeless population...primarily due to the weather and these people can use whatever you have in your heart to send. Some examples could be:

Blankets

scarfs

hats

fingerless gloves

shawls

wraps

lapghans

pillows

totes

Anything really. It does get nippy in Florida in the winter months, especially after dark.

This is one of my ministries...I also support a women's and children's shelter in Daytona Beach. I truly appreciate all that you do and am so grateful to be a part of such a wonderful community.

I plan to make weekly drop offs to the Center as items come in next month. When I informed the ladies at Agape...they were jumping for joy.:yay

Items can be sent to:

Donna Flowers

1770 Pine Street

Deland, Florida 32724-2225

Any questions, please feel free to contact me and again THANKS for all you do!!:manyheart

Archived