Fun With Kool-Aid

angel

Thanks to a very wonderful Secret Pal from Secret Pal 9, I was lucky enough to receive (among a truck-load of other things) 6 hanks of Knit-Picks "Bare" merino and lots of Kool-Aid :) - this is what I came up with:

yarndyed1.jpg

yarndyed2.jpg

I have dyed another two hanks which I will get pictures of later. I am saving the last one :)

-- Michelle

Wow Michelle! You did a fantastic job! :clap Look how cool color combinations you got! :cheer I´ve seen in a blog the same dying with Kool-aid, and the girl there calculated that and knitted wonderful stripped socks! What are you going to do with these hanks?

:manyheart

Vik, I saw a "self-striping" tutorial for socks which seems like a bit of fun - but very fiddly for me :)

Shell, I will have to send you some of this kool-aid!

-- Michelle

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That yarn is wonderful.

Is there some instructions on the web about how to dye with Koolaid?

I'm always interested in trying new things and I like the two colors of yarn dyed like that.

That yarn is wonderful.

Is there some instructions on the web about how to dye with Koolaid?

I'm always interested in trying new things and I like the two colors of yarn dyed like that.

I'm pretty sure if you do a search in google & something will come up. I google everything!

I have heard that you can only dye "natural" fibers (like wool) in order for the koolaid to stick.

Great link thanks. I wonder if you use less water to mix the koolaid would you get a deeper color way?

Good cause I have some cotton I want to try it with but I want deeper color. Oh and I am using Flavor-Aid which I suppose is just a Kool-aid knock off. No sugar of course. :D

Cotton won't hold the dye, you need wool to have the dye hold the colors. Cotton dyes best with Rit or similar fabric dye.

RIT would actually be a nightmare on yarn..it takes forever for all the 'lose' dye to rinse out. For cotton Jaquard cotton dyes or even Dylon would be better. For now when dyeing cotton I use Dylon as I'm still fiddling with it (I mostly do wool) and don't want to add the larger cost yet. But please, stay away from the RIT if you like the current color of your hands after crocheting LOL!

Archived