How do you pronounce Patons?

aliciasjoy

I've always said it with a short a, like General Patton, but my friend recently said it with a long a, like Payton. She said she was sure I must be right, but I told her I had no idea if I was and had nothing to back up my pronunciation.

I searched the threads to see if anyone else had wondered, because I remember the "skane/skeen" discussion thread and also the "bookle/booclay" one, but couldn't find anything. Can anyone tell me the proper pronunciation so my friend and I can start saying it the same way?

We Brits do not always follow logical spelling conventions. :lol

I wouldn't pronounce it with a short "a" unless there were two t's, as in the General.

Smiles,

I just called an 800 number on their site, and the person on voice mail pronounced it as "pay-ton". I guess I've been saying it wrong! :cheer

Now that was a smart idea! I've been saying it wrong too. Oops. Gee, maybe it's time to call Bernet too. :lol

Gee, maybe it's time to call Bernet too. :lol

Just called them up! It's the same number as the one for Patons. They pronounced it "ber-nat". At least we've been right on this one :yes

ETA: Oops! I guess I should have said that "at least I've been saying that one right!"

Nightowl, our "english" rules would also dictate that it would have to be spelled Patton to be pronounced as such, and yet, I have been pronouncing it that way as well for all these years. I guess I'm not very good at following rules.

:cheer I have been using Patons yarns for more than 50yrs and it was always pronounced Paytons, like Peyton Place.

Now, that takes you back doesnt it!

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS Do your realise that when I read posts made my Americans, I read them with a Kiwi accent?

Well I've always pronounced it "Patton" I guess I thought if it was "Pay-Ton" it would have beed spelled Peyton, like "Peyton Place"

Same here.

The online dictionary says "Peyton" click the red sound icon to here it:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paton

They pronounced it "ber-nat". At least we've been right on this one

Really? Ber nat? Sounding like mat?

If so I'm wrong on that one, too. I say Ber neigh sounding like sleigh.

I've always said "Ber neigh" for Bernat (I thougt it was French) and as for boucle I've always pronounced it "bu- clay" since it is a French word.

But of course this is all said with a very Southern Accent so I'm sure it still souds funny even if I do pronounce it right!

I just called an 800 number on their site, and the person on voice mail pronounced it as "pay-ton". I guess I've been saying it wrong! :cheer

You are kidding me! I always pronounced it like "patton", except one time in a LYS, I said "peyton" for no good reason. The store lady then called it "patton", so I figured that must be the correct pronunciation.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Just called them up! It's the same number as the one for Patons. They pronounced it "ber-nat". At least we've been right on this one :yes

ETA: Oops! I guess I should have said that "at least I've been saying that one right!"

ha! I've been pernouncing Patons wrong, also---this lady in town always says pay-tons, and I always say pat-tons; we've been having this little silent battle of wills. :)

It's strange because I've thought about this for awhile, and I know the rules of American English say it should be pronounced the way it is, but I just hate the sound of the correct pronunciation. ::shrug::

I had a craft store lady in Grand Forks, ND actually SNAP at me after I said Ber-nat (like mat)--"It's pernounced BER-NAY!" I feel much better knowing I was right---she thought I was sooooo stupid.

Nicole

:cheer Patons was originally Paton & Baldwin Ltd and this would have been the names of the two people who founded the company.

:think This is why it is not spelled Peyton but is pronounced the same.

:yay Just another bit of interesting information.

Bernat I always imagined was pronounced Burr gnat, Boucle is Boo clay, You say tom aye toe and I say tom are toe.....

Here are a few for you to try.

Ngaruawahia, a small town north of Hamilton, on the Waikato, which is the river which runs through my city.

Te Aroha, Te Awamutu, Ruapehu, Whangamata, Whitianga.

These are all place names in NZ or as it is sometimes called, Aotearoa, The Land of the Long White Cloud.

This should keep you all busy for a while.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Boo-clay, crow-shay, ber-nat....I'm okay with those, but I am wrong on Patons.

patons

Nope, even in lower-case I still want to say "Patton."

Now I've looked at it too long and it looks weird either way.

Do I have to stop using the yarn now?

I've been mispronouncing Paton's also. Another yarn brand that I had been mispronouncing until a clerk in a lys corrected me is Berroco. I was pronouncing it as Berrocko. The clerk informed me that is Berrowco, lol.

Archived