How do you pronounce Patons?

aliciasjoy

I've been mispronouncing Paton's also. Another yarn brand that I had been mispronouncing until a clerk in a lys corrected me is Berroco. I was pronouncing it as Berrocko. The clerk informed me that is Berrowco, lol.

No kidding? I'm going to have to make myself a pronunciation sheet for yarn/pattern company names to memorize if this keeps up!

We Brits do not always follow logical spelling conventions. :lol

I wouldn't pronounce it with a short "a" unless there were two t's, as in the General.

Nightowl, our "english" rules would also dictate that it would have to be spelled Patton to be pronounced as such, and yet, I have been pronouncing it that way as well for all these years.

:haha mudpie

I was really meaning with it being a British (Scottish) company and all. . .

I suppose we should all be grateful that Mr Paton was not named Featherstonehaugh (pronounced, believe it or not, Fanshaw)!

Smiles,

My rule is if the average price per "skain" is under 4$ it gets the plain old flat american pronounciation hence Ber-nat. If the average price is OVER 4$ I fluff it up and try to sound like I can actually afford such a thing...lol... hence Paytons... lol, see how good that works? Of course now I'll find out that Red Heart is really pronounced "Reed Hey-rt"... ROFL :think

Archived