Furry Ingrate

I made a "kitty-pi" type felted cat bed in siamese colors (cream, brown, blue) to match my cat and she won't have anything to do with it. She's rather elderly and I think it freaks her out when her claws get snagged on it. She did sleep on it just enough that it's now embedded with cathair...

what to do with a pizza-sized basket o' cat hair? :think

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try applying some catnip spray on it...that might get her interested in it.

I have been thinking of making a cat bed for one of my older kitties I think she may be getting arthritis (sp?) and want to make her something comfortable to lay on...

My cat is rather old also, and I made her a blanket out of homespun which she refuses to use. Now if I could only figure out how to crochet a cat bed that looks like a basket of clean folded laundry I'd be golden!

My cat is rather old also, and I made her a blanket out of homespun which she refuses to use. Now if I could only figure out how to crochet a cat bed that looks like a basket of clean folded laundry I'd be golden!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl Just this morning, I brought a fresh load of unfolded laundry into the bedroom and threw it on the bed. Left the room for maybe 30 seconds and came back in to fold it, and my cat was asleep on top of the pile, burrowed into it like he'd been there for hours. :rofl

Perhaps a lint roller could clean up the majority of the cat hair, and then you could use the basket to hold yarn? It might look really cool, actually! Besides, if you have a cat, then everything you crochet has a little bit of her in it already, so you probably don't have to use the lint roller too strenuously! :D

:2spin:rofl:2spin:rofl just crochet a bunch of little blankets, purchase a cheap laundry basket, like one of those little wicker ones from Walmart and put the blankets in it for the kittie. My kitties do the same thing. Forget the kittie beds for my kitties they want boxes of clothing or clean laundry. The wicker laundry basket worked for mine, but they still insist on cuddling up in the clean laundry before I put it away sometimes.

Kim

my fur babies love fleece.i just bought some cheap fleece and cut it up into blankie sizes and layed them down on their bed area,. 10 min later. the queen was preening :lol :lol :lol she looked down her regal face and looked at me as if to say

bout dang time woman:P :P all of my kittys love the fleece. is cheap and warm good luck:hug :hug

My DH and I share our living space with 4 cats and 5 rats. My oldest cat, Eric, is the queen of the roost. [The name thing is a long story. She knows she's a girl. The shelter and I were confused :think ] Her territory has been limited, as she's gotten less willing to wrestle with the other cats, to the sofa and some parts of the living room. Luckily, this is where I do most of my computer work and my crochet, so she doesn't really complain.

Unless I put a real fuss up, she tries to steal everything I'm working on, so I've gotten into the habit of using leftover yarn and making her a blanket:

queen-of-cats.jpg

(She also insists on stealing any empty envelopes or bits of paper I leave lying around, as you can see in the picture.) She is NOT getting a blanket out of the wool-and-silk I'm using at the moment, for the Cathedral of Trees (http://precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html ).

You *can* have pet hair spun into yarn, but wow! It takes a *lot* of cat hair to come up with a useful amount:

http://www.vipfibers.com

Thanks for making me laugh!

tbird

I actually went out and bought my cat a bed which, for many, many months, she shunned completely. One day, I decided to give it away. That evening, I came home and she was asleep in it and has been using it since.:blush

Sometimes, they're such eerie little creatures.

I actually did try that trick of using the wicker basket, then I piled a bunch of old receiving blankets in it thinking that would do it. The cat used it for a few days until she realized i did it for her, then refused to get back in it again :think

Could you put an *old* sweatshirt or something in it? Something that smelled like you?

Or is it possible that part of what she's after is heat? I know cats get more sensitive to cold as they get older. Maybe a hot water bottle?

Then again, she may just be demonstrating her position at the top of the heap :-)

Your very right at this somtimes it is just the smell of their owner their looking for, but also the heat because sometimes when you pull out your laundry it is warm, but sometimes my honery things will get into the baskets even thought the laundry isn't warm, lol. So also it could be the thing of being her demonstration of being at the top of the heap, like "look at me I'm up here and higher than all of you buggers", lol

Kim

Ohhh! Eric looks *exactly* like my boo-bear (not his real name) who now lives with my Mom. They're inseparable so I had to go get myself another cat. And I had to get the really old one who'd been in the pound for over a month because I thought she needed a good retirement. Yesterday was the SECOND $300 blood test of the year (yay, we found a dose of thyroid meds which doesn't turn her into zombie-girl) plus the $50 bonus bag of prescription kidney food which I'm sure she'll immediately stop eating, lol.

My cat is pretty finicky about her beds (yes, plural). She prefers the fleece lined oval foam ones. I got her a fake fur one and she refused to go near it. My trick for getting cats to use their beds is to sit and stare at it like you're reading the paper or something. Within a few minutes, they can't stand the fact that you're engrossed in something so they come and sit on it.

My trick for getting cats to use their beds is to sit and stare at it like you're reading the paper or something. Within a few minutes, they can't stand the fact that you're engrossed in something so they come and sit on it.

You know that cats can read right and somewhere there is a cat reading over someone's shoulder and you are going to be in so much trouble when your cat finds out what you are doing! :rofl

Cats so hate it when their maidservants (owners) get smart :devil

You know that cats can read right and somewhere there is a cat reading over someone's shoulder and you are going to be in so much trouble when your cat finds out what you are doing! :rofl

Cats so hate it when their maidservants (owners) get smart :devil

Yes! and apparently they read with their bottoms!

Or maybe they're speed readers who scan the page and think "What's so interesting about this? I don't see MY name anywhere"

We paid $75 for a heated bed for our aged Bull Terrier with arthritis. He won't go near it. Our younder Jack Russell Terrier thinks its the bees knees though. Winston, the Bull Terrier will only sleep on the Tempurpedic bed. We have one at home, and when we go to the inlaws he pushs them out of the bed so he can squeeze into theirs. Its so funny, he weighs 75 pounds and takes up almost the whole bed!! They love him and bear with his bed hoggieness. :manyheart

Oh my! I tell you, our cat, we bought her a bed in a wicker basket, oh heck no, cats want what they "shouldnt" have..lol..they definatly have a mind of their own, but put an empty box in the room and you can bet she will be in it...I love this thread, cats are too funny!!

Siamese are 'heat-suckers'. They need a source of heat, be it human or machine. Put some type of heat in that bed and it may be used. If the cat is in the right mood!

Our 'meser figured out the laptop gives off heat. Now she tries to crawl under it when I am trying to use it! Doesn't work well for either of us!

My two dogs are laundry lovers, They will wait until a basket of laundry is on the sofa and climb right in everytime. Even if there is Room on both couches.

Tried the own basket thing for them (Wicker) they desided to fight over it and ripped the basket to treads.

Yeah, I'm not even going to ATTEMPT to make my cat something crocheted...Franklin is a die-hard cardboard box lover :lol . He's more interested in climbing into my empty boxes from Joann.com, Herrscheners.com, etc...I'm thinking of making a nice blanket for my dog, though, to put in her crate.

LOL, my Dad's whole office saves the tops of xerox paper boxes so he can bring them home for the cats. They last a few weeks, then someone urps up a hairball then there's a big punching match for the remaining clean box (punching arguing grousing... then snuggling!) until Dad comes home to save the day.

Okay it's story time... the cardboard boxes got me!

My parents used to have a pet mini lop bunny named Spike. Here he is with a pancake on his head:

pancake.jpg

Don't ask about the pancake. Anyway, Spike was allowed to run free around the house; he had a litter box, food bowl and bed in a little cage that was always kept open, but he spent most of his time hanging around with us.

Like cats, Spike wanted to be the center of attention at ALL TIMES, so his favorite place to sit was in the center of the living room floor, next to the coffee table. That way, we were all fanned out around him on couches and chairs, watching TV, and he was able to bask in his own glory. :rofl

So one day my sister got a new Dell computer in the mail, and it came in one of those well-known large cardboard boxes. She and I took the boxes apart in the living room, for some reason, rather than the study, where the computer eventually wound up. As we disassembled the packaging, one of us propped the big Dell box upside down against the coffee table.

That created the perfect Bunny Hiding Spot.

From there on out, we COULD NOT move that Dell box. Any attempts to remove the Dell box would result in a little furry whirlwind around our ankles, complete with tiny love nips. If you were walking away with the box in hand, he'd follow you and headbutt your feet. If we put the box next to the trash can (too big to go IN the trashcan), he would jump and sit INSIDE the box and would pretend to bite you if you tried to get him OUT of it. :rofl

Finally, my sister and I took the box and painted the outside of it to match the entertainment center, so it wouldn't look QUITE so bad sitting in the middle of the living room, because, well, we weren't allowed to move it. When we brought it back inside, Spike had been running around the coffee table in frantic circles for goodness knows HOW long. :rofl

I miss that bunny. :( He passed away two days before Christmas 2005, unfortunately. *sigh* He was a really good, sweet little pal though. And he LOVED his Dell box!

Archived