Project Poll - Come And Weigh In!!

How do you complete your projects?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. How do you complete your projects?

• I work on many projects at one time.
    • I complete one project at a time.

I am still working on trying to finish a project before I start another. It's a constant battle that has yet to work out for me, lol. I do know that if it's a quick project I do finish it completely before I start another, where I tend to put an uncompleted project down is when it's a larger one. I don't like that about myself but that's sadly what I end up doing, lol. I do most of the time finish the projects, just not in a quick manner. I wish I could do better with that, but it works for me to keep trying on that, lol.

I'm currently working on some knitted socks for the first time and I have managed to complete a pair before starting on another pair. I am on the second sock of my second pair. Very basic sock that they say is quick, lol...but for me it's not, lol. Crochet is way quicker and that's what I'm use to and knitting seems to drag some for me, lol. But I am learning to control myself on not starting other different colored socks. Although I keep picturing out what colors would look good, pretty or funky, lol.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave up trying to do it one project at a time :) I always have atleast 3 going on the hook at once. I also have several (3 or 4) in bags in the closet that are nearly completed but just didn't turn out like I expected or invisioned, and they're waiting to be frogged so I can use the yarn for something else. :hook

Oh, I thought OCD was that you *couldn't* work on only one project at a time. I have about twenty going right now. Some active, some put in bins since I can't stand looking at them anymore. I have been trying really hard not to start a new one until I finish the one I have going, but I just can't seem to do it. :( That's why I think I really have a disorder.

Hmmm! I just voted, and it seems I'm with the majority! Maybe it isn't a disorder! :lol

Tina

I usually have several WIP's going at once. I always have something in a bag, ready to go wherever, a home project, and maybe a few little things like hat projects going.

I do work for several charities, plus anyone I know who is pregnant gets a gift, so I always have quite a few projects going.

But it is a good feeling to finish a project, even a small one like a hat.

:manyheart

First off, let me express how jealous I am that you can work on one project at a time. :lol I might be your polar opposite...

I'm addicted to continually starting new projects and it drives me and my dh nuts! Many will never be finished. For example, I have an afghan that I worked on forever, then set aside near the end to start another project. It would probably only take me an hour to complete. Now that I stop to think about it I haven't picked up that WIP in two years!!! :eek

:thinkI always WANT to have just ONE WIP,but it NEVR turns out that way:eek , this site has made me worse I believe...lol..now I want EVRY pattern I can get..like I will EVER live long enough to do them all...:hook

My thoughts and actions EXACTLY!:hook :hook

I think all of us hookers have way too many projects going!! I think I read or heard somewhere where an elderly woman said that as long as she had something on her needles the good Lord wouldn't take her home. And once she finished her last pair of (whatever she was making) she did pass on.

Darski, you crack me up. :lol

I just find this notion of keeping the grim reaper (or whoever you believe will take you away) at bay by having many WIPs fascinating. "Let me just do a few more rows on this shawl before you take me..." I can totally imagine myself saying this. :D

I tend to start and end projects more than complete them. Meaning, I'll start working on something and decide to do something else so I'll rip it all out and start the new project.

I don't finish much at all mostly because I seem to enjoy learning, buying, and planning projects more than the actual execution of the project.

But, I'm working on that ... I do have three WIP's right now. A pair of slippers, a hat, and a scarf.

This really has been running fairly steadily at about 4 to 1 in favor of working many WIPs at a time. I guess it does rather surprise me as most people I know, who crochet, hav A project they are making.

I am now going into W.A.D = WIP Anxiety Disorder. i finished too many wips and now I am getting worried about what to do:sweat :faint

I only have about 10 things left on my WIP pile :lol

I have more than one projects going on now. I wish I could do one thing at a time, but I get bored so easily. I get tired of working with the same colors, so I'll start something else. My husband doesn't believe that I'll ever finish the aghan I've started for him. LOL I'll finish it...I'm more than half done. It's just a slow process b/c I'm easily distracted.

I am working on a afghan that I am afraid I will have to put down to start another that needs to be mailed to the East Coast before Christmas. The one I am working on is for a family member here so it really doesn't have to be done until Dec 23rd!! I am having OCD anxiety and don't know if I am going to be able to put it down to start the one that REALLY needs to be done!!! I just can't work more than one at a time and I HAVE to finish the one I am working on before I start the new one!!! I need to break this cycle, STOP THE RIDE, I WANT TO GET OFF!!! LOL:lol

Well at least this poll has enlightened me to the fact that I am not alone!!:D

Just remember...

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... I know I can"

One of my fave children's stories. Really useful for adults too when we have to challenge our modus operandi.

I am hoping to actually get my WIPs all gone so I can try just one thing and see what it feels like.oooh scary :eek:yarn:lol

I finally located the home-made pattern I made up for my oldest WIP so I could start working on it again. I didn't really have any crochet books yet (it was Jan of this year), and I made up a granny square with popcorn centers.

I got another 8 squares done so far last week. That leaves 40 to go and joining + border. I am sad to say I left rather short tails on the squares (2-3" on some) as I hadn't crocheted in so long that I had forgotten the need for 6" tails. I'm hoping that if I weave them in carefully, if I use something like an alternating join that it'll hold onto the ends well enough.

I hope to have it done by the end of the month as it's supposed to be mailed away for Christmas. My husband was absolutely stumped for what to give his family for Christmas, so I am making home-made gifts for everyone too! I'm making a mobius wrap for his mom, a scarf + hat set for his sister, and a scarf for his dad. We came up with these items this week. If I'd known I was doing homemade Christmas gifts, I'd have started months ago!

I'm a strictly one-at-a-time kind of gal.

I learnt my lesson with cross-stitch projects. Too many times I would see a lovely pattern and start it before finishing the previous one dooming both projects to the back bedroom wardrode never to be finished. So now it's one at a time. :hook

I am definitely a multi-project person. When this thread started, I thought to myself- I wonder just how many projects I have in progress. So, I started a list in my crochet journal. It totaled 17 WIPs and 3 UFOs. :eek

I knocked off 5 WIPs so far, began & completed 4 other projects and started another new project (blame the snowman cal :lol ) so I currently have 13 WIPs. The UFOs I might frog- the jury is still out on them.

I have been racking my brain to figure out why I have sooo many projects going and the only reason is that I keep seeing awesome finished projects on this board & decide that I have to make them! :yes Also, I hate the finishing work. Most of my WIPs are 95% completed and I just have to focus on getting them done. I will always have more than one project going- I'd just like to get to the point where I have a manageable number- say 5-7 WIPs.

I am so with you Thel... all the way through your post and including the CALs here that just call my name.

I really would like to get to just one WIP just to see what that feels like. My imagination just isn't that good... :rofl

darski- :lol I have to say that all of your snowmen links are the reason I joined the snowman cal and up'ed my wip count.

Also- I too think I am suffering from WAD. I keep looking around my craft room and scratching my head thinking where did all my projects go?:goodorbad

I just want ya'll to know, I could not do it. I am finishing the afghan I am working on before I start the one that really needs to be done. I just couldn't do it. I took out the yarn and the pattern for the new one and looked them over, then thought, "well I will just do a few more rows", then I got going pretty good and thought, "well I will just finish the evening working on this one and will start the new one fresh tomorrow" . . . . . The following day, I thought, "hey I really accomplished a lot on this, if I keep going at this rate, then I should be able to finish it and still have enough time to get the new one done" . . . . . . . . . . . . well you see where this is going!! LOL:lol My aunt is going to get her Christmas present late this year unless I send it two day air priority $$$$$$$$. Oh . . . . . weeeeelllllllll (sigh).

Archived