Project Poll - Come And Weigh In!!

How do you complete your projects?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. How do you complete your projects?

• I work on many projects at one time.
    • I complete one project at a time.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I theoretically have one WIP at a time, but then all these little projects that HAVE to be done pop up - a pair of socks here, a little Halloween ghostie there, and next thing you know, I've got 12 WIPs and that 63 squares afghan that I was going to finish before I got any other pattern going is gathering dust.

I think that's why I like crocheting so much, though - I have many different projects going on, and they are all different. I'm doing a baby blanket that has some Irish crochet style squares and a simple dc body, a pair of socks, a granny square poncho, I have a hat and a scarf that I'm going to start tomorrow, I started my first thread crochet project (a bazillion snowflakes for Mom's holiday tree) today, not to mention my ongoing Homespun purses project for a bunch of my friends.

Then I have the yarn and patterns for three other afghans (besides the 63 squares one), and yarn for three purses/tote bags.

When I get bored with one thing, I just set it aside to work on something else. With the exception of the baby blanket (which has to be done by the momma's due date), nothing really has a deadline. Matt and Ken's "generic winter holiday" gifts do, but since they don't really celebrate anything, as long as they get them before the end of December, it's all good.

I had been getting all stressed out about not finishing stuff, but then I reminded myself that this is my HOBBY, not my job, and I do it to RELAX. When I find myself getting stressed, I put the project aside and either do a crossword puzzle, or work on a completely different craft (I'm learning embroidery, too, and I do plastic canvas and sometimes just other crafty stuff).

I usually have one "main" project going, but to turn a phrase:

"God put me on this earth to finish a certain number of projects. Right now I've got so many going I may never die!"

:lol:lol:lol

It's just that there are so many beautiful patterns out there that I am just not capable of waiting till I'm done with my current projects to start a new one. It doesn't help that I started crocheting only recently and I am simply overwhelmed by the number of cool things out there. After all, I am doing this for fun, right? :hook

I'm working on way too many projects right now; I think I have 7 going on. One scarf is almost done; I just have to do the fringe. I have 3 afghans, 2 seraphina shawls, 1 scarf, and 1 purse right now. I just finished 2 more scarf/hat sets 2 weeks ago too. Most of these projects are christmas gifts though, so I have to get my butt into gear. I cannot just work on one thing; I get bored and I actually grow to resent the project. Have a variety means i'll actually finish more.

:lol I've usually got about 4-5 projects going at a time. Variety is the spice of life and all. Generally they are "long tern" items - huge afghans, a kitchen, set, motifs for a table cloth, baby blanket but those are things I pick up when I've finished a "short term" project, like a baby sweater, pair of booties, doily, etc. So I guess I switch between OCD and ADHD - :lol:hook

I always have more than one project going at a time. Specially when I have one big one going. It keeps me from getting bored. If I have to get something finished right away that one will take priority but it is a rare day that I don't have multiple things going on, as well as 5 more I want to make!:lol

:lol I can NEVER do just one thing at a time, crochet included. Hey, it works out great when cleaning house, anyway. I may start 4 or 5 chores before it's all done, but then I have to finish them all. I really hate leaving a job not done. So it's good for overall progress!

It varies actually. Sometimes I'll have a bunch of WIPs going on, usually 1 or 2 big projects and a couple other instant gratifications ones. But other times I may only have one WIP on the hooks.

You know, this post has been really interesting. I didn't realize that I could change some of the settings on the poles, but I am glad I didn't because everyone can actually easily see who are WIP-STERS and who are "ONE PROJECT AT A TIME-STERS", Sorry couldn't think of a swanky name for us, lol :lol . We are on the Ville most everyday and become familiar with each other but it is nice to know something specific about one another. And . . . . . . it is also nice to know I am not the only one who only works one project at a time. And . . . . it is also nice to here there are so many successful multi-crochetors out there. I can multi task with the best of them, but when it comes to knitting or crochetting, I just can't bring myself to work on more than one at a time. Although, I did do squares for the Amish/Robert's family Comfortghans while working on my latest project. . . . though it was difficult to force myself to do that!!! OCD, I tell you!!!:D

Maybe some of use are Obsessively Compulsed to begin new projects. ah hah! that is what OCD really is about. :lol

LOL! LOL! LOL! :laughroll I almost wet my pants!! Touche!!!

Normally, I work on one project at a time....I prefer it that way...so I can stay focused on my pattern and what I am doing. Because I have been doing a lot of charity crochet, I seem to have many projects going on at one time...and that makes me nervous, because I like to complete my projects in a timely fashion. If I have too many things going on at once, I get frustrated and antsy. I like the one item at a time idea...and I will get back to doing that when my multiple projects are done. I guess I'm just not good at multi-tasking. :eek:think

:eek I have a granny blanket of multiple colors (all scraps), a blanket of greens for my sister (almost complete), a brown blanket for my dad (no where close), a squares blanket (worked on when traveling), snowflakes for coworkers (need 20 of them) and various other things I do really quickly to avoid the blankets (hats, scarves, little toys).

So I'm definetly in the multiple projects category.:blush

I agree with some of the other posts - it's really hard to go back once you've put something down for a while (especially if somehow the pattern got lost before you put the puppy pieces together, or the book with the pattern for the dress to be used for a CPK* went missing).

It's hard too, to not start something small every so often - after all the little Easter baskets for DD's classmates only took 40 min each (there were 28), or the hearts to add to her valentines that took only 20 min each, or the scrunchies that just might motivate her to brush her hair....

Or when there's a neat little beaded necklace - and after the first one, there's so many colour combo's to try... Or when there's a little project on the calendar that CAN get done over the weekend (or during a basketball game).

Or when there's some real interesting yarn in the mill-ends bin that's just crying to be taken home to the comfort of the stash...

Okay, here's some other reasons to not finish: the bunny and puppy need assembly (not my favourite part of a project!); it loooks like there may not be enough thread to finish the table cloth; the other end of the neck pillow case has yet to be designed, and the huge unfinished tote bag doesn't seem too practical anymore, so it needs frogging...

Definitely in the multiple projects group!

I'm a one at a time crocheter. If I start a project and I don't like it, I frog it and go on to something else. The only WIP I have is a doily I started a long time ago when I picked the wrong size thread and it is huge and I will someday finish it or frog it. But other than that, I can only concentrate on one project at a time. I crochet for gifts usually so I have the get it finished mentality. I bought some yarn for gifts for Christmas yesterday, but until I finish the baby afghan I am working on, I won't start the others.

I love reading these posts, they are hilarous!! I partticularly love it when Daisy says, that she prefers working on one project and a time:

"and I will get back to doing that when my multiple projects are

done. I guess I'm just not good at multi-tasking".

and I think we can all relate to SnoPeach's take on multi-project tasking. I did do some charity squares while working on my current project, but it was hard to force myself to do that, but a pleasant break too. It is also hard to say no to kids, i.e. the valentine hearts etc., Mine was hats and scarves for all the little girls in my 9 yr old daughter's class this past winter!!

TX Crochet Lover, that unfinished doily would drive me nuts!!! I would have to finish it and if I ran out of thread/yarn I would scower all of the craft stores I could find until I found it or I would alter the pattern just so I could finish it!!

Ottokvo: Do you have a book that you keep track of these projects in? :think I would so lose track of what I was doing, for whom, with what, what pattern, what alterations I had planned, etc. What an awsome multi-project tasker you are!!

I love variety! Just a look at my snack drawer will tell you that. I never finish a box of anything becuase I get bored and want something different. I've gotten a lot better about my wips though. If I can see the end around the corner, I can't put it down. I like to have several "travel" projects that I can take in the car or to the doctors office. I love to work on smaller projects, then I feel like I can complete them quickly if I need to. I have a stash of completed projects to pull gifts from if needed.

Oh wow, this is like the post that you don't want to post in but you have to because if you don't your WIP's will haunt you forever!

I have like 10 or 15 WIP's in my Yarn Closet waiting for me to ressurect them. Right now trying to get back into "serious crochet mode" is kinda hard because I homeschool my 4 kids and that itself is a challenge. Still, it's nice to be able to do a small project that can be done in no time. Maybe I'll save my WIP's as my 2007 New Year's Resolution :lol

This thread is so funny. It seems a lot of us suffer from OCD when it comes to crochet. I am currently working on 2 projects, thinking about starting a third today and have at least 10 projects on the todo list since I do not have the right yarn for the project even though I must have at least 200 skeins in my plastic bins.

Archived