Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Sounds like if I do end up making one of these, I best know what size they are more looking for. ( I;E How long they want the BICO to fit) I went to Wal-Mart, and ALMOST picked up the yarn in 2 different shades of blue. but then , I thought I best be sure what and IF they want that. Who knows, they might want the local school colors, or be huge Penn State fans, which would mean Dark Blue and white. I will be sure to be here for help LOL

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there. I'd like very much to make a BICO. It would be my first wearable!

Thing is, I can't use Homespun, it hates me.

So I have some Jiffy yarn that I would like to use, but even after pouring through all this I still can't figure out how to figure how many stitches and rows I'll need to be doing.

I'm getting 13 stitches in 4" and

10rows in 4 inches.

If anyone can tell me how to use those numbers to make this pattern, I would greatly appreciate it!! (I'd like to make the 6 month)

NeedSleep, there is a chart on the very first page of this CAL that shows you a bunch of different yarns, what size hook, what size, etc.... I don't know if anyone has made one with the Jiffy yarn yet, but what is it? Worsted weight? You should be able to figure it out from the chart. :hook

Karen, yours turned out so cute with the yellow! Great Job!

Tina

So I'm winging it with the Jiffy yarn.

I've gotten to where the neck hole is taking shape and it seems really small. About how many inches is it supposed to be for the 6 month size? I'd hate to get this all done and the neck hole be too small.....

I'm just worried because it looks like after the border is done the hole will be too small.....

Most of the edging is in the row ends...there really are no loops to work into. Does that make sense?

Thanks, that helped me figure it out. I got it all done, just need to weave in ends and sew up the sides :) My first non-amigurumi!!!

Ok, the woman has decided she would like me to make a sweater. ( Wow , I am nervous!) Anyway. Her baby is a month old already. However, I can not find exact stitch counts and directions for a 0-3 month size. I am considering using Caron SS, single strand because spring is here, and J hook. Here is the BORING part. She wants it all white. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No color AT ALL. ugh. So anyway, should I single strand it? Double with a J hook? :think and she wants a hat. All White also . Poor little guy....already not allowed any bright colors.:(:think .

So I am thinking of using the pattern on the origional website ( size 6 months) But would like your professional opinions first....and help deciding which hat pattern to use.:manyheart

:angry Also, can you believe a woman at the 'crocheting club' said that this pattern isn't good enough for a boy?!?!?:angry She said it needs to button all the way down the front in the middle and not to the wrong side.:angry

She is what I call a 'hater' she hates EVERYTHING... LOL, so I am not taking it too personal.:hug

Ok, Nobody answered my questions, but I am a big girl and I figured it out on my own.

Here it is.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/Dangerouscrochet/Crochetprojects035.jpg

Crochetprojects034.jpg

I figure, If she doesn't like or want it, I will just donate it. I think it came out just grand.:hook

Ok, Nobody answered my questions, but I am a big girl and I figured it out on my own.

Here it is.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/Dangerouscrochet/Crochetprojects035.jpg

Crochetprojects034.jpg

I figure, If she doesn't like or want it, I will just donate it. I think it came out just grand.:hook

I'm sorry, I totally missed your question?!?!

Anyhoo, whatever it must have been you surely DID figure it out because that is just too cute in ALL WHITE! And the buttons in the middle! :woo

I have a habit of 'second guessing' myself when starting projects, and this one was a bit more 'ify' because I am making it for a woman who wants to buy it.( sight unseen ) YIKES!! I have no idea what to ask for it, or wether or not she will end up wanting it in the first place. SO much pressure

Beth, that is a fabulous BICO. This pattern never stops giving. It is new every time someone makes it in another colour or size.

You should be well paid for your time and talent.

Beth, there is a chart on the first page of this thread that tells you different sizes and what hook, etc.... does that answer your question? (I meant to put your name in when I answered 'NeedSleep's question, too. Sorry!!) :blush

Your sweater turned out adorable, though. You did a great job!

Tina

Truth be told I was so afraid to start this sweater because homespun was hard for me to work with when I was a newbie but! I am a much better crochetier now and I absolutely love this pattern, I'm almost done with my sweater!! woohoo

• 4 weeks later...

just as a question.....approximately how big should the back piece be? i am using RH baby clouds, and a K hook. it seems small......... any guesstimates welcome!!! thanks!:hook

just as a question.....approximately how big should the back piece be? i am using RH baby clouds, and a K hook. it seems small......... any guesstimates welcome!!! thanks!:hook

this is the info from the original pattern

Finished Size:

6 mos (12 mos)

Length 10” (11”)

Chest 20” (23”)

Sleeve 6.5” (7.5”)

if the finished size is 20 inches (6 mo size) then the back should be 10 inches most likely or 11.5 inches if the larger one.

is that from side to side or up and down? i am so confused.........

duh! length!!! sorry!!! i swear im not slow, just confused :)

so if i have made all the back according to the pattern (up to the sleeves) and it is not anywhere NEAR 10 in, do i need to add a couple rows, or will the sleeves finish it up? (does that make sense?) TIA!

so if i have made all the back according to the pattern (up to the sleeves) and it is not anywhere NEAR 10 in, do i need to add a couple rows, or will the sleeves finish it up? (does that make sense?) TIA!

You will be adding rows when you put the finishing trim on. That might get you enough to meet the need.

I find that these tend to come in in all shapes and possiblities. If it looks like a sweater that would fit a child. what more do you need?:think:hook

well, i was making it for a girl that is related to my BF, and i dont know how she'll like it. and its my first wearable. and i am paranoid. and thats mostly it, my own paranoia...... thanks for your help!

I have had this pattern for about a year and have been looking at all of you BICOthey are great. I thought I would try it. Here is my BICO. I am not sure what I did wrong it doesn't lay right and if I don't pull the bottom together it lays open. I would welcome any help with this. If you look at the right side of the photo you will see that it buckes up. HELP [URL=http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/ladieswork/HPIM0484.jpg]th_HPIM0484.jpg[/url]

th_HPIM0483.jpg

Actually the 10inch number that Darski gave you was for the width of the 6mos back panel, not the length. The total length will also be 10 inches after you are halfway through the sleeves rows (not for the back panel below the sleeves)

Does that help?

I have had this pattern for about a year and have been looking at all of you BICOthey are great. I thought I would try it. Here is my BICO. I am not sure what I did wrong it doesn't lay right and if I don't pull the bottom together it lays open. I would welcome any help with this. If you look at the right side of the photo you will see that it buckes up. HELP th_HPIM0484.jpg

th_HPIM0483.jpg

I love the colors! The sweater is designed to button on the side.

I think the left side of the sweater (right on the photo) is buckling because the buttons are too close to the edge on the right front panel. If you unbutton it and place the edge of the left front panel almost inline with the right side of the neck opening, would it then lay flat?

Here are some links to photos of the ones I've made that might show what I'm saying better. They are both buttoned on the opposite side, but I think you'll see whay I' mean. Here'a a baby BICO and my Big girl BICO

Hope this helps!

Archived