Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Thank you I will try it and that was the other thing I don't know why I ended up on the wrong side. Will move the bottons and will repost. Thanks for the kind word and the help.

I love the colors! The sweater is designed to button on the side.

I think the left side of the sweater (right on the photo) is buckling because the buttons are too close to the edge on the right front panel. If you unbutton it and place the edge of the left front panel almost inline with the right side of the neck opening, would it then lay flat?

Here are some links to photos of the ones I've made that might show what I'm saying better. They are both buttoned on the opposite side, but I think you'll see whay I' mean. Here'a a baby BICO and my Big girl BICO

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might just have to make 2 of these for my little cousins...Hopefully I can find some great yarn and get them done by the middle of august for our annual trip to Knoebels!

I might just have to make 2 of these for my little cousins...Hopefully I can find some great yarn and get them done by the middle of august for our annual trip to Knoebels!

these things go so fast you can get them done by the middle of June... and this is the 12th :rofl

I may be laughing but I ain't joking! :hook

ok Darski...as long as we don't let Julie know....She might be a bit upset about me starting a new project!

ok Darski...as long as we don't let Julie know....She might be a bit upset about me starting a new project!

this project is as old as the kids are... it was a given from the day they were born that they would have to have BICO's.

You belong to the Ville; any known or slightly related kids have to get a BICO. check the fine print on your User CP ... it's in there :rofl

this project is as old as the kids are... it was a given from the day they were born that they would have to have BICO's.

You belong to the Ville; any known or slightly related kids have to get a BICO. check the fine print on your User CP ... it's in there :rofl

NO DOUBT!!!

:rofl

you are waiting till august to go to knoebels?! :eek its so much fun!!!!!!

I love Knoebels, and wish I could go more often. When I was younger my family would go several times during the summer. We would only go up for the Friday night bargain night, and sometimes the Wednesday night bargain night. Then again, I think a long time ago we spent the weekend up there and my dad took my brother and sister on a Saturday...I was sick, so I didn't go to Knoebels at all that weekend. I think I might need to have a talk with my parents about me never getting an all day experience at Knoebels!!!

Speaking of Knoebels, I was going through a container of brochures that I've picked up over the years, and I found one from 1988 for Knoebels! I was only 6 then...I wonder if I picked it up in '88 or if they used the same one for years later.

Maybe I will do that. I'll have to get my boyfriend to take a day off of work though...that might be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Ok, believe it or not, I have never made one of these. But now I have to. DD just saw the sock monkey one:drool

I did as I was supposed to and went throught the tips for enlarging in size, but I was wondering if anybody had any tips for the neck shaping. I will be going with a childs 6/8 and will be sneakily working on it until her b-day in nov. I want to surprise her with it.

Has nybody done this one in Bernat's Softee Chunky? I just love their red and I am actually considering making it in that, but double stranded. We get some very cold winters so I wanted it to be extra warm, but not too stiff or bulky. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Ok, believe it or not, I have never made one of these. But now I have to. DD just saw the sock monkey one:drool

I did as I was supposed to and went throught the tips for enlarging in size, but I was wondering if anybody had any tips for the neck shaping. I will be going with a childs 6/8 and will be sneakily working on it until her b-day in nov. I want to surprise her with it.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about the shaping while you are making the sweater parts. You can adapt and play with it when you are doing the trim rows around the neck. Generous is easier to fix than close in this instance but I think I only left 7 rows when I did my 3X version. (just don't quote me on that :wlol )

If you want to do a little check, you could make a square-ish collar in a Wild Pink or fave colour and see how many rows you want to leave open for the neck.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shaping while you are making the sweater parts. You can adapt and play with it when you are doing the trim rows around the neck. Generous is easier to fix than close in this instance but I think I only left 7 rows when I did my 3X version. (just don't quote me on that :wlol )

If you want to do a little check, you could make a square-ish collar in a Wild Pink or fave colour and see how many rows you want to leave open for the neck.

Thanks for the tip, Darski. Let me make sure I am catching you correctly. Do you mean that I should make a swatch to the measurements that I need the neck to be and then by counting out the stitches and rows that will tell me how many to leave out?

Sorry about all the questions, I am way too much of a literal and visual thinker, LOL!

Thanks again!

Helen

Thanks for the tip, Darski. Let me make sure I am catching you correctly. Do you mean that I should make a swatch to the measurements that I need the neck to be and then by counting out the stitches and rows that will tell me how many to leave out?

Sorry about all the questions, I am way too much of a literal and visual thinker, LOL!

Thanks again!

Helen

I was suggesting that you just make a square collar. This would not be a surprise so you could try it out on your daughter as you go along.

Interestingly enough, when I use the BICO pattern for stuff, I always do my neck "visually". I mark the centre -roughly- and then decide how many stitches I want on either side of centre for that last row where you work hdc, sc and slip stitches across the whole back .

That Collar projectfor a visual way to see the collar, make a chain that is about the distance between her two scapula in the back (shoulder bones that stick out)

work a few hdc rows of that Wild Pink (:wlol)then hold it against her to see how wide you want to leave the neck area to be. do this by eye but use a marker of some sort

Work the right front/shoulder side for a couple or three rows and test it on her again to see how many rows you need to leave for the neck before adding in the front parts.

You would need to finish the collar so she doesn't guess the secret but it would give you the info you need.

I was suggesting that you just make a square collar. This would not be a surprise so you could try it out on your daughter as you go along.

Interestingly enough, when I use the BICO pattern for stuff, I always do my neck "visually". I mark the centre -roughly- and then decide how many stitches I want on either side of centre for that last row where you work hdc, sc and slip stitches across the whole back .

That Collar projectfor a visual way to see the collar, make a chain that is about the distance between her two scapula in the back (shoulder bones that stick out)

work a few hdc rows of that Wild Pink (:wlol)then hold it against her to see how wide you want to leave the neck area to be. do this by eye but use a marker of some sort

Work the right front/shoulder side for a couple or three rows and test it on her again to see how many rows you need to leave for the neck before adding in the front parts.

You would need to finish the collar so she doesn't guess the secret but it would give you the info you need.

Thanks so much Darski. I had to sleep on that one to grasp the concept. But now that I get it, whew, what a duh moment, LOL! Sounds like a plan! After I get through with it I can actually use it as a base for a poncho or something.

Thanks again!

Finally I am plucking up the courage to try a BIRCO in a size 2/3.

I am using 2 strands of 8 ply together so will be interesting to see how it turns out. :hook

Way to go! You will love this pattern We will be here if you need help or :cheer

One quick note - the price of admission is lots of pics :wlol

Hi guys,

Has nybody done this one in Bernat's Softee Chunky? I just love their red and I am actually considering making it in that, but double stranded. We get some very cold winters so I wanted it to be extra warm, but not too stiff or bulky. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

I didn't use that yarn, so the stitch counts won't match, but I'd say the one I made my daughter is a 6/8 so the inch measurements could come in handy, There should be a link on the first post. Flyinghooks/Ginny and I think it was called, size 6 sweater jacket.

I have some friends having fall/winter babies this year, it will be great to get some babyshower presents done early. Gonna give it a try!

I have some friends having fall/winter babies this year, it will be great to get some babyshower presents done early. Gonna give it a try!

You will love this pattern. They are so quick to make up and they have some je ne sais quoi that we all love when we make them. They can be anything you want. Prim, funky, colourful, reserved. they all look good too.

:manyheart

Katie's 1st BICO is finished

th_DSC00503.jpg

I have also posted it in the show and tell with more detail.

Aw! You made it a pullover! How cool is that! Great job!

I didn't use that yarn, so the stitch counts won't match, but I'd say the one I made my daughter is a 6/8 so the inch measurements could come in handy, There should be a link on the first post. Flyinghooks/Ginny and I think it was called, size 6 sweater jacket.

Thanks a bunch. That was so helpful. Do you mind if I ask where you got the measurements for stuff like the sleeves and such?

Thanks a bunch. That was so helpful. Do you mind if I ask where you got the measurements for stuff like the sleeves and such?

My memory says it was a combination of yarnstandards.com and looking at some other patterns for size 6 sweaters (that were loose fitting as I wanted this to be a jacket). I also measured my kids & their clothes to be sure I was in the right place.

Good Luck

Archived