Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Ok, Ok

Tina (Mom w/a Motif) and I have conspired to start this CAL!!! We have both just recently finished one of these, and we are on our way to making more...why stop at just ONE when they are SO SIMPLE to make. A friend of mine is actually coming to my house this afternoon and we were planning on BOTH making these today!

This is a SUPER SIMPLE pattern - it works up quickly, and almost any type of yarn will work, as long as you make guage...do what you have to to make guage.

It's that time of year, in this hemisphere anyway, and actually, someone just made one that is going to Miami - it's just thinner, but you know, babies need to always be warm!!!

So, who is going to join us??? Come on...who wants to play?

Here is the pattern:

Baby, It's Cold Outside

We are both majorally familiar with the pattern so can help when needed, so just ask.

What I plan to do is with each finished sweater to place a link here in this first post so that anyone that looks up this sweater will have LOADS of pictures to see!

Ok!!! Cool beans!

ETA - To do Larger Sizes, please consult this post.

ETA - Darski is additional NEW COHOST!!! Thank you Darski!!!

ETA - Thank you Kristen for compiling a CHART we can use!!!

FINISHED PROJECTS

The Donna (with hat and MaryJanes) and here (with earflap hat and booties) and here (with flower pin) and here (as a pullover)

barbn77 and here with model!

The Donna with a modified version for a size 18 months

just me with a sampling of ones she has made in the past!

KnicKnac and here it is with the hat and mary janes!

KnicKnac's Friend - Hat included!

Jessi

Darski - Two Tone with Leaf Button

Flyinghooks - Instructions included for Size 6

minwife0f4boys - Lea

Darksi - Instructions for a size 3

hmcquigg - Heidilyn

lilybean31905 - Kristen - Size 8

amalapert - Laruie

Mom w/a Motif - Tina

Liberty - Theresa

lynie - Lynda - Ladybug Style

mizduck

Darski

andrealikestocrochet

Seneca and Scooch - Sock Monkey Style!

KnicKnac - Size 7

lilybean31905 - Kristen and here

supafreak - with Fun Fur

jchllm (Lisa)

Darski - BICI (this one is done vertically!) and here (adult version) with the finished version here

hseger (Heather)

Mom w/a Motif (Tina) - Bear BICO, one in Lion Boucle and ... the very first one she did. (she doesn't know what kind of yarn it was, some German yarn she found at the Goodwill)

HoosierDoola (Susan) - Three different BICO's!!!

Tina did another one!

HoosierDoola did ANOTHER one!

Clare - beautiful in white!

BusyMomof7 - it's on her blog here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How funny, I am walking out the door in a few minutes to get some yarn for some Christmas projects including this sweater for my soon to arrive nephew.

I'm in! I will probably be starting this in a couple days. I'm planning on buying homespun for the first one. What yarn works well for the edging?

Also I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without using buttons. Buttons and babies that like to put things in their mouths scare me. Any ideas???

Just to let you know, there are two ways to do the buttons, one is with real buttons, but the other is with yarn buttons. I didn't feel bad about the yarn buttons at all. And they are super simple!

As far as yarn for the edging? I would pick something contrasting to the Homespun...Homespun is usually multicolored so pick something that brings out one of the dominant colors...also, I would use a soft yarn like Caron SS or RH Soft Yarn...it would then have the same sort of texture as the Homespun.

Hope you join us!

I was just going to ask what to substitute in place of Homepun, than I seen your post about double stranded WW...i'm going to use a Red Heart 1lb I was going to use as a blanket but don't like how it was turning out...it's a lt. pink/ md. pink/ green varigated:yay off to start this:hook

Woo Hoo!! (I have done two so far. I am almost done with the second one.) And I went and bought some Homespun for a third one. They work up so fast, I will actually be ahead of the game for baby shower presents! (For once.) :P

This is gonna be so much fun!!! :clap

Barb, do you have a picture of what you have so far? Because I honestly didn't like how mine looked when I was first doing it, but now that it is finished, I love it.

Tina

Tina - yours is really pretty....I started with 2 strands and it felt horrible...so i'm still using a 6.5 mm hook and a single strand of WW i've done the 1st 10 rows already, it helps when the recipiant is asleep and the 2 yr. old get's tossed in the tub so mom can sit on the bathroom floor to finish the 1st 10 rows LOL i;ll see if I can put up a pic..BRB

th_sweater001.jpg

:lol I do that a lot! Sometimes it's the only time I get to crochet...

Actually the two strands I was using added up to probably one strand of the worsted weight, so I would just do one strand WW maybe and see how that feels? :think I haven't tried it yet with just WW, so I'm not sure on that...

... the 2 yr. old get's tossed in the tub so mom can sit on the bathroom floor to finish the 1st 10 rows LOL i;ll see if I can put up a pic..BRB

Oh! You must have been adding the picture as I was typing this... What you have looks good so far! Did you check your guage? It looks good!

Tina

Oh I would love to do this one! :) That looks great! I'm always looking for boyish crochet clothes patterns, and this one would do for boy or girl, depending on the colors. Anyway, my 6 month old needs something a little warmer for our trip to north Alabama at Thanksgiving, so I might just make one up sometime. I've got a TON of other projects to do first, but I'll keep this one in mind. I can't wait to see pictures of yours done!! :)

Victoria

count me in I always make sweates, I am a sweateraholic and happy to admit it. I am turning my dd into one as well, ok so she just wears em and I make em. I cant wait to find out what this baby is so I can crochet for "it" as well, less than 5weeks to go.

Woo Hoo! :clap Welcome, welcome, everyone! I am your personal cheerleader. :cheer (I think KnicKnac is busy crocheting one of these sweaters with her friend today.) :P

The nice thing about this pattern is that it is SOOO quick to work up! You'll be able to work up a bunch. I'm already on #2, and plan at least two more to go... :hook

Lilybean- My last baby was a scheduled C-section; 10 lbs 9 oz. (Explain why it was C-section?) :P (The other two were, too; just not *scheduled*- by the time we got to #3, we/they said forget it, just do a C-section!) BTW, where did you get the tan and off-white sweater pattern!? :eek (I was just reading your blog...) I LOVE it! It is so awesome. I am going sweater crazy here myself!! :lol

Tina

Tina, after 13 hours of a broken water on pitocin I was still only 2 cm and her head was never in my pelvis so 5 days early I had a 9lb1oz peanut, lol being that they get bigger as you go I am not chancing it, myu dr told me I was lucky to have suggested a c section, b/c she wouldnt have fit. Funny thing is now a days at 19 months she wears a 5t hat, lol just means we better start saving for college now adn its a good thing she has a mommy who can custom make her hats so she doesnt look silly

:lol Sounds just like mine!! My first one was 9 lbs 4 oz. Second one 9 lbs, 13 oz.... You already know the third one. And mind you I only weighed 108 when I got pregnant (the first time- not anymore...) When they get bigger, though, it isn't like they are huge. Jus when they are toddlers it seems like they will be.

I won't bore you with my labor stories. I just couldn't have them, they were too big. I look at pictures now, and their heads were almost as big as mine, and that right there tells it all...

Have they tested you for gestational diabetes? I was tested, but came up negative every time. I think if I ever got pregnant again (not that I'm planning it, but...) I would make them put me on the gestational diabetic diet and see if I had a smaller baby.

Tina

well I think big babies run in my family , I was 3 weeks late and 10lb 13 oz and dh was 3 wks early at a little over 6 lb's so I wasnt surprised, My sugar was fine to. I am not worried, means they sleep through the night that much faster, she was sleeping through the night at 4 weeks w/ nothign but mom's juice if you KWIM. funny people always asked what I was giving her too.

I've been wanting to make one of these for a while now so I'll join! My piglet just turned 5 months old (c-section!), she has a cousin that's only 10 days older than her and another cousin due in the spring so I better get my butt in gear!

Oh gosh! Look at all the people joining in!!! Thanks Tina for playing cheerleader. Yes indeedy, my friend and I have been working on these this afternoon and I gotta tell you that we will have pictures of them FINISHED by this evening!!!

They work up SO very fast!!!

Three hours to make. Hmmmm. :)

OK, here's what I'm going to do

My great nephew-to-be will arrive just before Christmas...so I'll need both a "Welcome To This World" and a Christmas present for him. I think this would be a great sweater for the winter months.:wgrin

And I need an easy crochet project for my upcoming vacation. Right now, I'm about halfway through the Cathedral Rose Afghan that's going to be my mother-in-law's Christmas present. However, I can't take the afghan along...since my MIL is accompanying us on vacation. :sun

I have to make a couple of scarves for my DD's sorority project, so that will take up some of my vacation crochet time. However, this looks like a good present for my nephew.

So I'll take notes from y'all in the next two weeks, get the yarn, and work on it while on vacation. Unfortunately, I won't have any Internet access, but I'll post pix when I get back.

Hi Knicknac from South Carolina, my name is Barbara from Westbrook, Ct. I just join this group this week and I have the patter "Baby It's Cold Outside" and have been looking for the original knitted version which was converted to the crocheted pattern by Julie Holetz. The crocheted pattern looks hard, but from what you have said about it along with our fellow members that have made this, keep saying it is easy to do. I can to a little bit of crocheting, but if someone can show me how to do the sts, then I can go back and read the pattern and then it makes sense to me. I will be getting the original knitted pattern hopefully by the end of this coming week. One of our members in our group here has been helping me find it along with someone who contracted her to help and I am very thankful for all her help and all the work she did to find this knitted pattern for me. Her name is Megumi. She was one of the people who welcomed me into this group, along with Sakurasaku who also contacted me and gave me information about this pattern and what website to go on to get it which I already had the crocheted version of the pattern. I want to thank all the beautiful people who welcomed me to this group. If you have any tips to give me on learning about crocheting, I would appreciate it . Again, I welcome you to our very friendly and helpful group of ladies and men too. Barbara Mudd

Archived