Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

OK - I'm in. DH is having elbow surgery tomorrow and we were told to expect that whole things to take 5-6 hours. MIL is keeping my little ones, so I will have lots of time to crochet without interruption. :hook

I am going to go stash busting and possibly shopping this afternoon. I am going to take measurements of my two littles ones (almost 2 y/o...wears a 2T) and (2 1/2 y/o...wears a 3T) and see if I can increase the size of the pattern and attempt to make these tomorrow in the waiting room.

I'll let you know about my progress tomorrow night.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pullover is just darling! I will have to try that for my DGS when he is big enough :lol

I love this pattern and have made several of them (it has become my baby gift of choice, along with matching cap and little star afghan). I love using the painterly homespun because the colors just change and blend so beautifully.

Anyway, I only have pix of three of the sweaters I've made, so I thought I would add them to the mix. I will be starting another one soon for a baby who is due in January...

ec677445.jpg

ec67744d.jpg

f119af66.jpg

:)

Just Me~ Wow! They are all so nice! I think this may fast be my baby shower gift of choice, too. It's so fast. I've already done two for baby shower presents, will post the one as soon as I get some extra time here. Thanks so much for posting your pictures! I love how the different colors look. (Which one is the painterly, the black and white?) Very nice! :manyheart

Tina

The Donna, gosh, that's cute too! How did you work the front? Sorry, I'm kinda not too quick with the adjustments of the patterns action. Also, where did you get the cute hat pattern or is it something like crochet in the round and increase to desired size?

Just me, I love the brown set. I have a few balls of LB Suede that did not go as planned so was thinking of making one out of that in those exact same colors.

:2blush Thanks for the nice comments :bheart

From the Lion Brand website, "Please note that some colors have long, slow color variations that cause them to subtly stripe. This is deliberate and adds to the beauty of the finished garment; such yarns are designated as our 'painterly' colors."

If you scroll down and look at the descriptions next to the yarns, it will say if they are painterly colors.

The colors I used for the sweaters in the photos are (top) Romanesque, (middle) Nouveau and (last) Regency.

Just me, what a great gallery of photos of the finished sweaters...oh yeah, this sweater definitely calls out for a matching hat, and you did so well on ALL of them!

Look at that cutie patootie in the new sweater!!! Les is just adorable! Thanks for sharing the pics Barb!!!

Here is mine from last night...gonna work on a hat and matching mary janes today. I used a strand of RH Baby Econo in "Yummy" with a strand of TLC Baby in White - so another two strander, but this is for a newborn so I used a "J" hook this time...the measurements on it came out what is necessary for a newborn per this site:

http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

I also used some leftover Caron SS in white for the edgings. And I like the look it gave the sleeves...a little flair because the yarn is a bit more chunkier than the babyweight I was using!

baby-02.jpg

Going to update the first post with the new pics!

lulubird6, I'll see if I can describe how I did it.

I worked the back and top part over the shoulders as usual. For the left side, I stopped working the sleeves two or three rows after it's folded over and tied off. (Does this make sense?) For the right side, I worked all the way across the front and across the left sleeve until the left sleeve was complete (skipping some stitches and chaining a few to make buttonholes), and then all the way across the front for the rest of the pattern. There is an extra seam in this sweater that actually runs across the front of the left sleeve, but because Homespun yarn is so great, you cannot see even a hint that that's where it is. I didn't sew the whole sleeve together; I left a flap so that it would be easier to get over Baby's head. I used buttons to close up the flap. This is probably not the best way to have altered this pattern, but I was just playing around at the time, and low and behold, it came out looking good!

An easier way might just be to make two T-shaped pieces (using the pattern up to where the shoulder folds over) and then sew them together. I haven't tried that, though.

The hat pattern I used for the purple set was this hat that I'd made before. I just substituted the Homespun yarn and then just started with round 2 of the crown to eliminate the top knot. http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cvs-babyHat.html

Thanks Barb! I am working on the hat now...booties later on tonight I am sure!

Here is the pic of my friends she did yesterday with me...she just finished weaving in all ends!!! Isn't hers just the CUTEST!!! She used Caron SS in BerryBlue and Orchid, double strand with a "J" hook. She was trying to get about 3 mo size and I think she accomplished it!!! That hat is the hat I am making.

baby-03.jpg

KnicKnac your sweater is so cute (or should I say yummy)! :P And your friends' is, too.

Barb your baby Leslie is SOO cute!!! :c9 The sweater fits her just perfect, too. Thanks for the pictures.

Tina

Wow ladies,

These are turning out so beautifully! and quick!!! :clap:tup I'm amazed at how fast you guys are going. I dove into my stash earlier today and have decided for my attempt at upsizing to 2T/3T tomorrow, I am either going to use two strands of WW or go shopping early tomorrow morning for some Homespun. I have some Homespun right now, but I don't have 3 skeins of the same color in a color that I like and I am thinking that it is going take at least 3 skeins (maybe 4??) to make a larger size.

Thanks for your inspiring pictures...gorgeous. And the one with Les actually wearing the sweater...too cute for words...makes me want to have just one more baby...:blink??? Ummm...already have 4 who run me ragged :huh... :scrachin...:2eek...:scared...nah, I don't think so :no . Whew!:whew

This is my project for tomorrow... dh leaves at 4:00 in the a.m. and I will probably get up with him since he won't be home til Thursday....I am overloading myself with projects to do until he comes home... a bit sappy I know... but I will miss him terribly!

Can't wait to see what you come up with Lea! Oh Becky, make sure you keep good counts so that we can copy your size 2T!!!

Ok...finished the hat/mary janes!!! So here is the whole ensamble!

baby-02a.jpg

Wow ladies,

These are turning out so beautifully! and quick!!! :clap:tup I'm amazed at how fast you guys are going. I dove into my stash earlier today and have decided for my attempt at upsizing to 2T/3T tomorrow, . Whew!:whew

I'm hoping to upsize for my 4yo dd - closer to a size 6. :think We;ll see wha I can do!

I've been doing this all day. It's my first crochet project. I've gotten alot of help and I'm on Row 25 (doing the 12 month size). So, just to be sure, I go back and forth on the chained part too? AFter I chained 14 back on Row 23, I wasn't sure if I went all the way out there.........I know I'm not explaining this right. Let's see......how many stitches for a 12 mos should Row 25 have? This way I'll know if I'm right. Thanks in advance for your help.

I plan to make this sweater over and over and over since it took me so long to learn it!

I'm making one too! Using light pink Jiffy yarn and an M hook (I crochet tightly and the yarn is skinnier, so it's a little bit more lacy than others i've seen -- hopefully it will work out correctly!)

A question for anyone who has done the 12 month size.. How many inches is yours from the bottom to where the sleeves start?

: ) all the encouragement is just so exciting!

Archived