Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

KnicKnac, have you seen the scrap hat pattern that was posted on the Babies & Children Show & Tell board a few days ago? They had a neat way of doing it so that the ends stick out on purpose (no weaving in ends - woo hoo!).

It might go nice with your scrap sweater.

Here's the original adult-sized hat: http://www.yarncat.com/ScrapTweedTasselHat.html

And, here's a kid-sized version of that hat: http://www.yarncat.com/EileenMod.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on my attempt to change pattern to 3T...I had planned on having a huge chunk of time today while DH was having elbow surgery...but there were complications in recovery room (he's fine now) and I didn't get near as much time to work on this as I would have liked.

My initial problem is I have never worked with Homespun before! It was really hard at first, especially crocheting into the starting chain. But, I quickly got the "feel" for it and realized that it was almost better to crochet by touch than by sight. BUT...wow, is it beautiful once it gets worked up...and the color I chose is creating its own stripes!

I have a good idea though of where the sweater it is going and how to do it and I think it should work. I have finished up to row 13 (which is still the first hdc portion since the bigger sizing creates more rows) I'm hoping to get some work done tonight while he sleeps. I am keeping notes and will keep you updated on my progress. Does anyone know if it is against copywright laws to post how you altered a pattern to change the size? Should I check with the designer?

Donna thanks for those links- I might need to try one, since I don't have enough yarn even to do the hat KnicKnac did. :(

Maybe I'll try to do the Mary Janes instead. Oh well, at least I got a sweater finished out of all that yarn.

Welcome to the CAL Hellbo and caednkat, and any new people. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Podger I can't wait to see what you come up with! :clap Are you writing it down as you go, so you can remember (ahem).... :D Hope your hubby is doing good after surgery.

Tina

well its a good thing that I only work Mondays. When I got home last night I finished up Charlenes sweater coat then did a matching hat. I have to still take pics of it and get my USB cord to work, it wont acknowledge it is plugged in. Anyway then I started on this one using RH WW in an 18 month, I am not so much going by the numbers listed but my measurements for my dd, I am keeping my notes though for anyone who wants to do WW in an 18 month. I am almost finished the right side then onto the left and a hat. My only thing is I need opinions, I am doing it in the color Buff, it is a tan, should I do a soft white (off white) or black. I am thinking soft white but what does everyone think? I will definately be done today then onto one for my 6 yr old neice who wears a size 8. oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

You mean soft white or black for the trim? :think Hmmm... I would probably do the soft white, but I think black would look good, too. (Not much help, am I?) :lol I guess I'd have to see it to decide...

Yay for a day off! :cheer

Tina

Great choice going with the white. They both are beautiful...the sweater and your little girl! :)

I love the look of the Homespun, but the WW looks great as well. What size hook did you go with? I am basically doing the same approach that you did, going with measurements to change the pattern, but also keeping stitch and row counts as well. Did you guess on the size of the neck opening? Right before I had to start dinner, I was just at that part of the pattern.

Aaaw! She is so sweet! And the sweater turned out great, too! I think the off white looks great. (Now that I see it, I don't think the black would have *worked* very well... unless it had been a darker tan, maybe...)

Very Nice!! :clap :clap

Tina

If you are sure this is easy, I will probably try it; after I finish 2 'Good Granny Gracious Baby Afghans'. I am just getting started on them. The good thing about MN is that even after I finish the above mentioned projects, hopefully by the twins birth time in Jan., Lord willing, it won't be too late for a sweater! :haha I already have 2 skeins of Homespun, which I bought for Mom to show me how to do 2 strands together, but don't have any other purpose for, yet. (I thought about making the 'Jiffy 4 1/2 hr. Afghan' from Lion brand for my son, but am not sure I will, and don't have nearly all the yarn I'd need for it. I am sure it would take me more than 4 1/2 hrs, too.) Don't know yet who I'd give a sweater to, as my DS is 18, and DD is almost 13. I could start my dream stash of completed items, so that when I need something, I don't have to panic, etc. about meeting a deadline.:faint So, I guess I will let you know when I am ready to start this. :wink Thanks for the idea.

Margie

i didn't even know that there was one of these cal's going on! I just finished mine, and posted it to share in the show and tell, and someone directed me over here.

this one is made for a baby arriving next month. I made it from washable angora, and it is soooooooo soft. I opted for a different way of closing the sweater. I didn't like the way that the bottom flaps open so i used sew on snaps instead, and placed them the entire length about two inches apart.

277826686_a85860405a.jpg?v=0

Margie, I am sure this CAL will be lasting a very long time, at least thru the winter!!! Just let us know when you start!

Oh supafreak!! How cute that is! I just love seeing peoples interpretation of this sweater!!!

thank you all very much for your nice commments :ty . I am fond of her cute little face as well. I tease my hubby and say if this next baby is half as cute as lily we are all set. LOL. I cant wait to find out what I am having so I can get my hook moving. :c9

sorry back on topic now, I have started another for my nephew, I am going to stripe it and make it a pull over if I can manage that. Wish me luck, I am doing I think a 24M. :wink

Before we know if one of us is gonna resize this for adults lol:idea. I am thinking about it, but first one for my neice who wears a size 8.:dreaming

:yarn :2hug:yarn :manyheart

Just keep your specs Kristen...I would love to make this a pullover!!!

I can't believe I missed this:

Does anyone know if it is against copywright laws to post how you altered a pattern to change the size? Should I check with the designer?

There are three comments in a row on that pattern site that basically says that since Julie's design is common licensed it allows derivitive works, and then she says that Julie reassured her offlist that it was ok.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

I just found out who I am going to be making this one for. A former co-worker just told me that she is expecting a baby girl Due late Feb or Early march. Plenty of time to finish other projects and then make her a layette.

I finished mine last night but can't find my camera. :angry I accidentally sewed it up wrong though so it buttons on the opposite side. I'm going to get more homespun to make few more.

Has anyone figured out the pattern using just 4 ply ww? I tried last night but couldn't get it.

Archived