Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Knic Knac, I add my thanks for bringing this pattern to the fore. I was looking for something quick and sweet and this totally fit the bill! :cheer Once I get the buttons done, and Blogger stops acting up, I'll post a pic.

Laurie, since I crochet pretty loosely, I had to go down one size from the recommended hooks; I used a J for the larger, and a G for the smaller.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am not using homespun for this but in the past I have used a K hook and it makes the loops bigger. I know what you mean about homespun It can be tough (IMHO) to work with

I am using WW I went to a second hand blessing shop and found these mill cones of the stuff I got abou $100 worthfor $6 its pumpkin color and a brownish beige (you know not brown but not beige either. Its a tweener)

I just started the sleeves!

Awww, you all are way too sweet! It's so much fun to have a pattern that is SO adaptable and cute and FAST all at the same time!!! And it's so much fun to see other people's work and how they adapt it to their needs!!!

Ok...I LOVE the blue! I like the way you messed up and it became a center buttoned sweater!!! I am going to have to try that!!!

Kristen, can't wait to see it in a size 8.

I really don't like working with homespun, that is why I opted for a double strand of Caron SS because to me it was roughly the same size...and it worked!

Angeleyes - just let us know when your ready!!!

Clocke! Can't wait to see yours!!!

Oh my gosh Lynda!!! I love the white with the red and black!!!! The ladybug buttons bring it ALL together!!! COOOOOOOL!!!!

I have a feeling this CAL will be lasting ALL winter!!!

Lilybean I can't wait to see yours in a size 8, either! I want to do one in a size 8, too. Is it a pullover version, too? I still haven't gotten started on one in a pullover version; I have one more to make regular for my niece that is due to be here in March. :c9

:lol KnicKnac, I have a feeling I am going to be in this all winter, at least! :hook

Tina

Maybe I'll do SS instead then. I'd hate to take a simple fast pattern and make it miserable by using yarn that drives me insane. LOL

Has anyone posted the pullover instructions yet? I'd LOVE to get a copy! My DS loves sweaters but I haven't found a pattern I really like yet but the pic posted earlier in this thread was perfect! (hint, hint...lol). ;)

And see?? Jimmie-lu-fast-flying-fingers is on the sleeves whereas I'm still trying to decide on hook, color, yarn and finishing Halloween costumes!!! ROFL I have too many pots on the stove...umm...too many french fries in the basket...umm...too many ornaments on the tree...umm...just TOO MANY PERIOD. ;)

Laurie- Lilybean kinda told how she did the pullover here. (Post #13, scroll down a little...) Ginny (aka Flying hooks) said you should add another inch to the measurements though since those are the actual body measurements. (Hope I'm getting that right.) I want to try one in the pullover version, too (size 2T) but like you said, 'Too many frying pans in the fire' right now. I want to finish up a little what I got going then do another one.

Tina

Oooo! I love the pink and brown, very nice! How many is this for you? :hook

(Technically I started another one but it's on the back burner til I finish up a couple more things...)

Good Job! :clap :clap

Tina

Thanks. This is my second. The one I did with the Caron 1 pounder and the boulce from JoAnn's. The trim is actually black and the buttons have a glittery look to them. :hook I'm making another one just like this except in the bigger 12 month size. It just fit the little girl it was intended for but it wouldn't have fit for long. :lol I told her I would make a larger size for her.

girl's stuff buttons right over left. boy's stuff buttons left over right.

I wasn't sure if yours was left over right or not... but I am now thinking of doing one that buttons that way next time out

Darski, is there any CAL you're not in? LOLOL I refuse to believe you and I like the exact same projects so I have to guess that you're in all of them. Ohhh - maybe that's why you don't have a WIP list on your siggy - you have too many to list! :lol:lol:hug

Quick question - those of you who made the sweater with bulky yarn (or 2 stramds ww) when you get to the edging and switch to ww are you using a single strand with the K hook? I'm planning on using Simply SOft to edge a Homespun sweater and wondering whether I should use 2 strands... any thoughts from the pros?

I used the same as what I was using. If I was using two strands held together, that is what I tried to use for the edging. But I guess you could try and see... :hook (Not that I'm a *pro*, but... I have a couple of these under my belt.) :P

Quick question - those of you who made the sweater with bulky yarn (or 2 stramds ww) when you get to the edging and switch to ww are you using a single strand with the K hook? I'm planning on using Simply SOft to edge a Homespun sweater and wondering whether I should use 2 strands... any thoughts from the pros?

Well I finally got some pictures of my finished sets. You've already seen the pink one. The blue one I *kind of* already posted, trying to help Kitty out. Did you ever get it finished Kitty? (Hope so.)

th_Picture1178.jpg

th_Picture1177.jpg

(Clickable Images)

The blue set is for my (not born yet) nephew, newborn sized. The pink one is for my (great) niece, one month old, six month sized.

Both the hats are from FCEC Fall 2006. I did the six month size for the boys' sweater (it came out to a newborn size), a six month size for the girls' (it also came out newborn size), so I did the 24 month old size (using exact yarn indicated, and a hook size bigger) and it came out to a six month size...

Anyway.

Tina

I did the body with bulky yarn (1 strand) and edged with 1 strand of ww. It turned out okay, but there was a definite texture difference...

Well, it's certainly got some issues but I'm pretty proud of my first attempt at a garment (other than a hat)!! The neckline is way too huge - I guess next time I'll do a couple decreasing rows maybe...for now, it's "supposed" to be an off-shoulder look. ROFL And the body was too small for her fat belly so I had to do extra trim rows but all in all, not something I'd be ashamed for her to leave the house in. LOL I used RH baby soft double strand of whte and light mint.

(Excuse her expression, she's got a cold and is miserable) But when I took it off of her after the picture, she cried until I put it back on so I guess there's a two-thumbs up vote for me. :)

BICO.JPG

I used a single strand, but instead of only going two rows like the pattern called for I went three rows. I used double strand caron ss for the sweater part, and only one strand for the edging.

Laurie! That turned out CUTE!!!

Tina, yours are so precious!!!

Archived