Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So somebody tell me what I did wrong to get such a huge neckline. I did play around with adding stitches (I was trying for 18 mos size) but I didn't think I did THAT much of a difference. I know it's hard to guess what I did without holding the sweater and counting stitches but if anyone has a clue... ;) I would love to make one for a friend with a 6 mo old.

And I was really thoroughly confused with where to do this part...

'Pick up for the left sleeve.

Row 1: With front of sweater facing you, begin at the outside edge. Insert hook into first st and Ch 2.'

I STILL can't figure out where I should have started that - because we still had half of that sleeve to finish, right? I kinda made my way up at that point (another bad habit of mine in all craft projects - sewing and the like. LOL).

Thanks Darski! That makes sense finally. LOL AND explains why my left side didn't come to the right far enough under the neckline - I didn't add those extra chain 6(8) that it says to do. DUH. Well maybe I have a better chance of making it look better next time. LOL Thanks again!

You are welcome. It is a great pattern and we all want everyone to have have a great experience making it.

Yours did look cute though. Like you said that off the shoulder thing is a design feature now.

I'd love to make a few of these, but even after reading the entire thread I'm still confused as to how to change the sizing. I'd like to make one in an 18-month size for my son, and a newborn size for a niece who's due in Feb. Can someone please talk to me like I'm 5 and help me? thanks! :manyheart

Begin with a place like this which gives standard sizing

http://www.yarnstandards.com/babysize.html

if you look, the Back (across) measurement says it should be 8.5 inches for the 18 mo size. This is the measurement you start working from.

Add ease: you want to add ease to this measurement -2 inches should be good in this pattern.

You want to crochet a chain that will get you 10.5 inches.

now get out your yarn and hook (whatever you plan to use) and make a goodly sized swatch and determine your gauge in these materials. once you know how many stitches per inch you make, you can figure out how long your chain needs to be. for the sake of argument we'll say it is 4 hdc/inch.

You then need to make a chain of 4 X 10.5 = 42plus 1 for turning.

use this same gauge and the same method to determine how big you need to make your sleeves (add-ons) with or without cuffs.

You do have your child there to measure if he can be still long enough to get better measurements for him but the process is the same

Do the process for the newborn size as well - this is always a guess because they do tend to vary... a lot!

Great job Darski!

One thing I noticed about this pattern as I up-sized it is that from the 6 to 12 month size the neck hole grew 3 st, but the shoulders stayed the same. So at the 12 month size the shoulders (total stitches from neck hole to sleeve tip [24] minus hdc in sleeve alone [17]) are 7 hdc and the neck hole is 14 hdc wide. That's a big neck hole - it's half the total back of 28 hdc:eek . I usually think of a neck as 1/3 of the back width (and that's with set-in sleeves!)

When I up-sized it to a 6-8, I too ended up with small shoulders and an enormous neck hole (you don't realize it because it looks so small compared to the total width from sleeve tip to sleeve tip). I ended up putting 3 rows of hdc in each side of the neck hole to fill it in (with homespun I think you can get away with it). Unfortunately I had already edged it when I realized I really needed to do this for this jacket to be wearbale for me daughter. So I frogged the edging and modified the neck opening.

I'll post a photo in a second.

When I did my neckline edging, I did do decreases to bring that large opening into the shape I wanted. Good call.

I didn't look at the pattern at that point because I knew what I wanted to do.

This is my 4.5 yo dd wearing her BICO as a jacket. She is wearing it over a crocheted sweater, over a thick T-neck. (It was 38 this morning). I'll detail the pattern changes I made later on my blog, but to give you an idea, the bottom width is 15-16", and the finished sweater jacket is 17" long. Here she is arms down and arms up!. And yes, she picked out the flower heart buttons!

Ginny, I LOVE it!! And I can't wait for your pattern adjustments as my son is that size and he's been begging for a sweater (I'll use your adjustments and probably make it a pullover). It looks great! :)

..It looks like RS, WS, RS, RS, WS instead of RS, WS, RS, WS, RS. Did anyone else notice this or am I reading wrong? I used Bernat's Haven instead of Homespun and the stitch pattern is really obvious so I can't stand doing it where the pattern doesn't stay the same. ...

Lara,

I RAN INTO THAT TOO! :eek I think you're right, that it's not obvious with homespun/very textured yarn but I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky, which is thick but smoother, and my "stripes" are off. It's driving me crazy!!! :yuck What did you do? I'm think I'm going to have to frog and have a few rows that I'll have to tie off and weave in to get the neckline shaping but stay in pattern.

Thanks for saying something! I thought I was going nuts!!

Shawnee

Someone mentioned that early on as well.

it didn't show up in my Mexicana but that is so mottled nothing would show.

if you have some experience, you could make the rows work easily enough but newbies might find it challenging to fix.

I just did the rows the way I wanted, then fastened off and did the chain separately, fastened off again, then went back and started going the "right way". Good thing I had done that car seat blanket from SnB:HH or I wouldn't have thought of it. Glad to know I was not the only one. It made me feel like I was making a mistake somewhere.

This is my 4.5 yo dd wearing her BICO as a jacket. She is wearing it over a crocheted sweater, over a thick T-neck. (It was 38 this morning). I'll detail the pattern changes I made later on my blog, but to give you an idea, the bottom width is 15-16", and the finished sweater jacket is 17" long. Here she is arms down and arms up!. And yes, she picked out the flower heart buttons!

How much yarn did you use? I am waiting until you get the adjustments before starting ones for my twins. The color you used is gorgeous!

Archived