Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

Wow Kristen they both turned out awesome! I LOVE the brown and pink one; that is sooo cute! Did you just use WW yarn for it? I still want to do a two and an 8, but I need to finish up some other things first...

Tina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those sweaters are wonderful. This pattern really is a blank canvas. the flower is so neat!

I am so enjoying this thread. It is wonderful to see what happens with not much of anything execpt creative hands and minds. (and a great stash :D:hook

All of the BICO sweaters are gorgeous...each one is so personally designed...Any suggestions yet on how to make one in larger sizes??? I need a size 3 and 5 and would love help in getting the sizes right...:hug

All of the BICO sweaters are gorgeous...each one is so personally designed...Any suggestions yet on how to make one in larger sizes??? I need a size 3 and 5 and would love help in getting the sizes right...:hug

Darski had posted somewhat of a pattern to follow for larger sizes. She is very precise with her directions and I am sure would help if asked!!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=517579&postcount=257

let me begin by saying that I used the method that I mentioned before of taking standard sizes and my gauge to determine these numbers. Remember also that this reflects

my yarn: WW,

my hook: 6mm and

my hands, your mileage may vary

firstly, the standard sizing does not have a 3 or a 5 so i just halved the measures between 2 & 4 and then 4 & 5(not done here)

OK the measurements that I wanted are:

Chest: 22 inches

Arm length (inseam?) about 10 inches

I did my gauge swatch and my PPM came out to 3hdc/inch and this was confirmed at 12 hdc over 4 inches.

My chest measurement started at 22 inches and I added 4 inches of ease being 26 inches (1 inch per edge at front and back) so i wanted to get a back that measured one half of 26 or 13 inches.

13" X 3 = 39 + 2 extra...So

Ch 41, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across -> 39 hdc (however, the sun will continue to rise and set if you get 38 or 40 for whatever reason)

Work in pattern for 17 rows. (or more or less if you want a tunic or a bolero)

Fasten off

for the sleeve length I finally just decided to go with the rough estimate of the inseam size between sizes 2 & 4 which came in at 10.25 inches but I called it even at 10 inches. We already have some sleeve coverage with the way this pattern works but you can always just roll up the sleeves.

10" X 3hdc/in = 30

So... Chain 30, then work hdc into the first stitch of the back as in the original pattern and all the way across, chain 31 turn

Work one hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each hdc and chain across -> 99 hdc

continue in pattern for [? ] rows. I have to decide this later but I need to know if this is supposed to be a pullover or just the cardi style from the original before I get to working the front and this gives me some time while you respond

it's clear as mud right...Recap

for size 3 Probably

Chain 41, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc across (39 hdc)

Work 17 rows of hdc fasten off

chain 30, join to back with hdc, hdc in every st across, chain 31 turn

work your hdc rows until long enough for back.

Now, I don't have any people of the little pursuasion around to test this on so you have to see what works for you.

I believe it was Ginny (flying hooks) who said you should also add another inch maybe for some space, as the measurements are the body measurements. You should add for some give. (Going by the chart measurements...)

What are the measurements on your size 3 one so far? Mine is in a four now; I want to make a four. (Besides a 2 and an 8...) :P

Tina

Because the chart listed a 22 inch chest, I added 4 inches for ease assuming one inch of ease on each edge for both front and back. 26 inches around

In most garment sewing, 4inches is considered minimum ease.

My back is 13 inches which is one half of the 26 inches that is needed by the standard sizing.

I did make the sleeve additions 10 inches which is long but I like a nice turnback

I did 13 rows of sleeves & back before shaping neck. I am just finishing that row and will begin to form the neck, sleeve and right front

i did want to know if this should be a pullover or just the standard BICO. as I need to know that before I get too far into the front.

Darski,

Thanks so much for taking the time to design a size 3 for me...I will begin on it next week and see how it works out....You were a big help:cheer I could not think it thru like that but now you gave me the plan of how it works and I can go up a size if I need to for a bigger child....My grandchildren live in Israel so I don't get to fit it on them only to guess right now....I made a size 3 for her this summer and it was miles too big, but now I see why - I did not have the right chest size to work from...tks. again.

I have to admit that I have been thinking of this in a 2xl for myself.

I mean, how hard could it be...right?

It was so nice to see my size three sitting on its bench this morning as I went through the living room. it is looking quite nice.

I am going to do the pullover because I have an idea I want to try. the worst that will happen is :frog and I have a summer residence in the frog pond anyway. :D

I finally finished it and I just had to fasten off a few more times to get it perfect. I will post a pic when I get the buttons on.

But I have a question. You experienced crocheters may think I am a dingaling, but you know how you start each row with a chain to be the first hdc, well, when my project was finished the ends with the chain appeared to have holes in it. Is there any way to fix that or am I doing it wrong?

I started on my second BICO in the 12 mo size for my nephew and I started immediately actually doing a hdc instead of the starting chain and it doesn't look as "holey"- if I keep doing it that way will I really be screwing it up or what?

I appreciate all your help!!

Archived