Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

I understood what you were saying in your post Ginny, but as of yet, I haven't had problems with it matching up. But of course I have used double strands with each one I have done!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michele,

I took a look at your sweaters on your blogspot - they do look a lot alike! Yours turned out great!! Now, we're just waiting on our baby.....

Joni

Yep. I remembered to photograph the blue ones. But with the pink and white, I was in such a hurry to wrap and deliver the gift, I forgot to snap a photo! :photo It looked a good bit like yours. :)

Hope everything goes well with the new arrival.

This is the baby my sweater is for. She's my granddaughter and she arrived on Sunday. I had to show her off, even if she's not wearing her sweater. She'll grow into it soon, though.

Joni

Joni she is absolutely beautiful! What a precious little girl!

Not sure how much help I can be with the hat pattern - I wanted to keep the hdc to match the BICO - all the baby hat patterns I could find were sc. I kind of based it on the LB velvetspun hat pattern (without the top knot) and I used my daughters 22 inch "big baby" doll to size the hat. I know started with 8hdc in a ring - increased to 16, 24, even row, 32, 40, even rows until long enough to cover the dolls ears! Then I did two rows of yellow to match the BICO edging.

The booties were a variation on Bev's Very Easy Booties as I was using double stranded baby yarn. I basically made then to match her measurements, not her row counts.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't have a girl :no so there is no doll I can use for sizeing. I've been looking at dolls for a long time that is a newborn size but they're expensive here. Could you at least give me the number of rows you did and the measurements for the hat? And you did use double strands? For the booties, did you measure the length of the baby's foot? Sorry for all the questions. :) I'd like to make a whole set once. Thanks again for your help. :):manyheart

Pat A.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever had a project that just didn't want to get done? I have literally been looking at the BICO sweater forever, long before I found crochetville. The first time I was cheap. I went and bought Light and Lofty at Walmart instead of the homespun. I started the sweater, and was about 1/2 way done when I just couldn't do it anymore. I hated the yarn. It was nasty to work with and I didn't like the way it looked or felt. So I put it away. I thought longingly about the pattern from time to time, but always found something else to make because of my "ugly, scratchy, nasty yarn experience"

Lately I have been looking at all of your beautiful BICO sweaters. I was bored of my other projects one night and figured I would give it a go. I pulled out 2 strands of ww from my stash. It was going beautifully until I ran out of yarn- 2 rows of the end of the main piece I was out of the verigated yarn that I was using. 2 rows, what is that 16 stitches? It was a left over from an afghan, and I thought I had enough, apparently not. So then I am staring at the BICO, thinking well I could tear apart some granny squares I had made for another project or get another skeen. Back to the store I go.

Last night I finished the main piece and put on a lot of the edging, but then I realized I had lost my yarn needles. I couldn't do the finish work!! Grrrr. I found both needles this morning. One yarn needle was hiding in my car's cup holder. Probably a victim of a long car ride. The other was in the bottom of a pocket in my briefcase. Maybe it was afraid of the BICO.

I had A BRILLIANT idea--I can finally use up the cute little turtle buttons that I had bought for the first BICO. So I stitched up the for four button holes. Guess what have 3 turtle buttons and 4 button holes. So much for trying the pattern again with stuff from my stash.

I have bought Homespun yarn for 2 more BICOS, but I am afraid to use it. What will go missing next time? My precious size K hook? The nifty new scissors that my DH bought for me? Maybe I am just not meant to BICO. Maybe the pattern doesn't like me. :bang

So at home my poor unfinished BICOs sit together. One in ugly Light and lofty only half completed. One in forrest green & a verigated ww with green tones. Almost finished, dare I continue....:2spin:box

(PS-I love the pattern, super easy and really cute)

I want to make this sweater in a preemie size!! Can anyone help me with pattern adjustments to make a smaller sweater? Busymomof7, you mentioned making them for preemies ... can you help?

SO CUTE!!

Ever had a project that just didn't want to get done? I have literally been looking at the BICO sweater forever, long before I found crochetville. The first time I was cheap. I went and bought Light and Lofty at Walmart instead of the homespun. I started the sweater, and was about 1/2 way done when I just couldn't do it anymore. I hated the yarn. It was nasty to work with and I didn't like the way it looked or felt. So I put it away. I thought longingly about the pattern from time to time, but always found something else to make because of my "ugly, scratchy, nasty yarn experience"

Lately I have been looking at all of your beautiful BICO sweaters. I was bored of my other projects one night and figured I would give it a go. I pulled out 2 strands of ww from my stash. It was going beautifully until I ran out of yarn- 2 rows of the end of the main piece I was out of the verigated yarn that I was using. 2 rows, what is that 16 stitches? It was a left over from an afghan, and I thought I had enough, apparently not. So then I am staring at the BICO, thinking well I could tear apart some granny squares I had made for another project or get another skeen. Back to the store I go.

Last night I finished the main piece and put on a lot of the edging, but then I realized I had lost my yarn needles. I couldn't do the finish work!! Grrrr. I found both needles this morning. One yarn needle was hiding in my car's cup holder. Probably a victim of a long car ride. The other was in the bottom of a pocket in my briefcase. Maybe it was afraid of the BICO.

I had A BRILLIANT idea--I can finally use up the cute little turtle buttons that I had bought for the first BICO. So I stitched up the for four button holes. Guess what have 3 turtle buttons and 4 button holes. So much for trying the pattern again with stuff from my stash.

I have bought Homespun yarn for 2 more BICOS, but I am afraid to use it. What will go missing next time? My precious size K hook? The nifty new scissors that my DH bought for me? Maybe I am just not meant to BICO. Maybe the pattern doesn't like me. :bang

So at home my poor unfinished BICOs sit together. One in ugly Light and lofty only half completed. One in forrest green & a verigated ww with green tones. Almost finished, dare I continue....:2spin:box

(PS-I love the pattern, super easy and really cute)

HA! At least you don't give up, that says something about you!!! (I like that boxing smily!!!) - I say continue on! AND THEN SHOW US PICS!

I want to make this sweater in a preemie size!! Can anyone help me with pattern adjustments to make a smaller sweater? Busymomof7, you mentioned making them for preemies ... can you help?

SO CUTE!!

I would use one strand of worsted with maybe a "H" hook? I think that would do it with the size...but you can wait for Michele (Busymomof7) - or better yet, you might want to PM her...I hear she is kinda busy, I mean, who wouldn't be with 7 KIDS??? :lol

Isn't there a chart somewhere that says what size hook to use, what yarn to use for each size? :think (For the preemie)

Appy lover-- don't give up. That sounds like me, almost every time I crochet! :hook

Tina

SO CUTE!!

From both the chart (link in first post) and from Busymomof7's blog (link in first post)...

"To make it smaller, I used Caron Simply Soft yarn and a G (4.25 mm) hook. I followed the pattern exactly. I bought one skein of each color and I probably have enough yarn left over to make two more sweaters! "

I'd guess she followed th epattern for the smallest size.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone ... That helps a lot! Shouldn't be too hard! I can't wait to get started!

From both the chart (link in first post) and from Busymomof7's blog (link in first post)...

"To make it smaller, I used Caron Simply Soft yarn and a G (4.25 mm) hook. I followed the pattern exactly. I bought one skein of each color and I probably have enough yarn left over to make two more sweaters! "

I'd guess she followed th epattern for the smallest size.

Hope this helps!

You are exactly right! That is what I did and it worked just fine. :hook

Oh, and that would be only one strand of the Caron S.S.

Wow I just looked through this whole thread & I'm so inspired :) My niece is having a baby shower at the end of the month sadly I can't attend the shower but I plan on sending the gifts to her & I'm making her a BICO it needs to be a 6-9 month size & not too warm because she's in Texas. Any suggestions of yarn to make that size maybe 2 strands of simply soft ?

Alisha, I made one for my SIL who lives in Texas (well for her baby-- I wasn't able to go to the shower, either...) Anyway, I used Lion Boucle. She said it still gets cold there. I guess it depends on what size you make it/what time of year it is when the baby will be wearing it...

Two strands of Simply Soft would *might* work... I think the chart for yarns/hooks/sizes to make sweaters is on the first page of this thread, someone said... Yup, it's in the very first post. But, for quick reference, here it is again.

Tina

I'm was doing so good on the sweater & when I went to make the 2 front pieces realized I should've been counting my stitches so I had a frog some :blush It's whipping up really quick though if I wasn't so ADD I'd be done by now :lol

It turned out great, Alisha!! I love the colors you used. I had bought some Homespun in those same colors but the red was a little lighter.... I still haven't made a BICO with it yet, but someday...

Great Job!

Tina

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to Crochetville and have joined a fun CAL (the Crochet Me ultimate sock!) When I saw this CAL, I just had to make a BICO sweater. I LOVE that pattern and am so impressed with the modifications that have been done! BRAVO! :clap And thanks! I've been wanting to make a bigger size, and now I'll be able to. But in the meantime, here's what I whipped up with some yarn I had on hand. Keep up the good work, y'all!

BICOsweaterCAL.jpg

Karen

playin hooksie in south Mississippi

I'm new to Crochetville and have joined a fun CAL (the Crochet Me ultimate sock!) When I saw this CAL, I just had to make a BICO sweater. I LOVE that pattern and am so impressed with the modifications that have been done! BRAVO! :clap And thanks! I've been wanting to make a bigger size, and now I'll be able to. But in the meantime, here's what I whipped up with some yarn I had on hand. Keep up the good work, y'all!

BICOsweaterCAL.jpg

Karen

playin hooksie in south Mississippi

Very nice!!!

I have joined a little group of 'GASP' knitters at our local library, But the funny thing is, We all CROCHET LOL One of the ladies asked if I would be interested in making her neighbor a sweater for her 1 month old baby. I said sure, If she is interested.... but she has to pick out the color of yarn. SO I just might be making another one of these, but with the added pressure of making it for someone I don't know.:P I am thinking Caron SS 2 strands with a J hook. Yep, It will probably be a bit big, but who knows right? Nice to check in with all of you fine crocheters again. I have been busy on the RR CAL ... Getting ready to finish up my 2nd one of those.:hook

Archived