Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

crochetluvknot: I took the time to look at all of your photos. WOW, you do great work. Now, I would like to thank you. My husband is always saying that "You cannot tell me that people have more yarn than you" Well, I showed my husband the pictures of your yarn room and told him I NEVER again wanted to hear him yell about my yarn supply. His eyes bugged out, his jaw dropped, and he very humbly apologized and said he wouldn't say anymore. ROFLMBO! Thanks again!

prissymom: I, too, had my husband look at crochetknot's stash & then told him about you and your husband. :lol Rod will never say anything about my stash 'cause he knows better and knows it wouldn't do any good, but always the funny guy, he said: "Those poor sheep." :lol

crochetluvknot: All of your projects are fantastic! :cheer One of the days I'll do a graphghan too. And I'm envious of your yarn stash. :yes

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to have to disagree with Donnalynn here. Yes, the bobbins are best to use, that way you do not get all tangled up. Now, the best thing to do is crochet over your dropped color no less than 3 and no more than 2 stitches. This way it is anchored in and you have less to weave in, as you cut it close to the last stitch.

No matter how careful you are, up close, the yarn will show through. We are also here for help if needed.

Made a (ugh:eek ) Dallas Cowboy afghan for my son. (oh where did I go wrong:lol )

I am going to have to disagree with Donnalynn here. Yes, the bobbins are best to use, that way you do not get all tangled up. Now, the best thing to do is crochet over your dropped color no less than 3 and no more than 2 stitches. This way it is anchored in and you have less to weave in, as you cut it close to the last stitch.

No matter how careful you are, up close, the yarn will show through. We are also here for help if needed.

Made a (ugh:eek ) Dallas Cowboy afghan for my son. (oh where did I go wrong:lol )

I think I do it the same way as you but I don't think I said it right. I won't carry over yarn when it's like 12 stitches but if it's only a couple then I do. Does that make sense? Now, personally I try not to carry white over black or black over white at all as it really shows through but if I have to, I'll just do it where I don't carry it through every stitch. I agree about the weaving in of ends. I'm not even half-way done with my current ghan and I have so many ends already I don't know what to do, but I didn't want to carry them over as they were all different colors. I think it's just because this is a christmas gift for my finicky hubby that I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. LOL However Tampa Doll, you are the queen of graph ghans (I've seen your work) so I would have to agree with your methods as you've done several more than me. LOL

Okay, I am in too ! :) I tried a graph ghan a few months ago and gave up to start other projects. I wasn't that confused YET since I was still on one color. I did go out and buy some bobbins, so hopefully this will help me when I get to that point. I am going to start over (I was only on row 4 or so LOL) and I would love to be able to get the Denver Broncos ghan done for my sister for Christmas. I hope you all don't mind a million questions in the coming weeks :)

I have been trying to find the site where I got the pictures for making yarn butterflies but I can't find it anywhere.

Basically, you wind yarn in a figure eight pattern around your fingers (Vulcan salute works for this, live long and prosper) and then wrap the last bit around the centre to keep it all together. it is anice technique for colour changes and doesn't add weight

I think I do it the same way as you but I don't think I said it right. I won't carry over yarn when it's like 12 stitches but if it's only a couple then I do. Does that make sense? Now, personally I try not to carry white over black or black over white at all as it really shows through but if I have to, I'll just do it where I don't carry it through every stitch. I agree about the weaving in of ends. I'm not even half-way done with my current ghan and I have so many ends already I don't know what to do, but I didn't want to carry them over as they were all different colors. I think it's just because this is a christmas gift for my finicky hubby that I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. LOL However Tampa Doll, you are the queen of graph ghans (I've seen your work) so I would have to agree with your methods as you've done several more than me. LOL

Sorry Donnalynn, I didn't mean to come off as a know it all. I usually work with light colors, except for the Dallas afghan.

I like the looks of yours. Where did you get the graph for the Buc's? If they get better, I may make one. :lol

I will try to keep an eye on this thread, incase I can help.

Lots of luck guys and keep one thing in mind. This is suppose to be fun.:yay

Just wondering if I am alone on this or if it is normal :think . I am about on row 15 or so and my edges are starting to curl, do you think this is normal or am I crocheting to tightly?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ! ! ! :) :) :)

Kelro, row 15? That seems a little early for the edges to be curling. I do have curled edges when my graphghans are completed, so I usually end up blocking the 'ghan. Are you sure that you're not dropping any stitches? That's a fairly common occurance on graphghans.

As-so-much as me joining this thread...I'm going to wait until after the football season. I've been thinking 'bout making a Steelers graphghan for my DH..he's grew up about 40 miles outside of Pittsburgh, so he grew up rooting for the black and gold. I couldn't do it last post-season...my heart wasn't into it. And I can't do it now...way too much going on (making an afghan for his mother...my MIL...for Christmas).

Yes, it's hard for this diehard Cincinnati Bengals fan to be married to an equally diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

P.S....I'll root for y'all on the sidelines...at least for now.

I think I may give this a whirl, i have never done a graph ghan before so this should be real interesting. Not sure if I'll have it done by xmas and not sure when I can start it hopefully maybe tonite for a change of pace. I used Donna's suggestion for the graph thanks donna I appreciated the link. I will be checking in to see if I'm missing something with what I'm doing though Its nice to join this.

I couldn't start right away but I have a friend who would love a Jays blankie.

It is not going to take up much room in a ghan (doing it verticaly) because it is long and low, what would others do in this case?

EDITED BY ADMIN: to remove photo due to copyright/trademark issues

I miss my double blues but cést la vie eh?

Of course not Tampa Doll. Not to worry... You are honestly the queen of graph ghans in my book! :hook

I actually took the logo and put it into my Plastic Canvas Creator and out popped my graph. I was actually able to use this so that I could make the ghan large enough for what I wanted. It's 175 stitches by 140 rows so it's quite large. Then I'm going to add some rows of sc all in black around the edges to complete it.

My edges have been kinda curling from the beginning. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that's nothing to worry about. Just always COUNT as you go!

So my hubby has been home all day and we're in the beginning stages of a kitchen reno, so I haven't had a chance to even look at logos yet. But reading over these posts, I have a newbie question to ask...

What is a bobbin? I'm not a sewer, but I know that a sewing machine has a bobbin, but that wouldn't be big enough to hold yarn.

Also, if I'm doing a Steelers ghan, does Bernat Super Value have a 'gold' colour? Or do you think yellow would do? I'm sooooo excited for this! I can't wait until I get a chance tomorrow to start planning this :D

A bobbin is a plastic thing about 2" long or so with spaces on either end. I was trying to draw it on here but cant seem to figure out how. but you wind the yarn around it to make it easier for you when doing a graph. Also you could use cardboard in a rectangular pattern and cut part of each end out so that you can wind the yarn on it. Sorry if this didnt answer your ? maybe someone can make an easier explanation for you.

Also, if I'm doing a Steelers ghan, does Bernat Super Value have a 'gold' colour? Or do you think yellow would do? I'm sooooo excited for this! I can't wait until I get a chance tomorrow to start planning this :D

I think yellow would work. I don't think Steelers gold is really "gold" in the conventional sense anyway. I think it's justa bright yellow color. Kinda like this little guy. :clap That's the color I'm going to use anyway. If my dad doesn't like it, I can keep it.

P.S. I was just looking at Bernet's website and I would suggest 00608 Bright Yellow for a Steelers ghan

:locoOk found my picture for my 'ghan, I think.:confused..Thought about making a ripple in green, yellow and white...Hubby likes the Caron Soft:manyheart , but then I found a symbol and graphed it..So I dont know. Will have to see what Joanns has for yarn and then I will decied for sure. :think

The longer I sit and stew over this single crochet thing, the less comfortable I get with it. Does anyone think it would work if I made a black background then cross-stitched the logo over it. At least one side is bound to look good that way. I don't really care about the other side.

when i did my steelers ghan i used a yellow and it came out ok.

i make little balls of yarn for each color that i have in the ghan and that way its a little easier to work with and untangle. i never carry the yarn over more than 3 stithces other wise it pulls and leaves a loop on the back side now mind you i do mine in the afghan stitch so not sure if its the same in single crochet. you can check out www.crochetcabana.com for ideas on color changes and different techniques like bobbins and things

EDITED BY ADMIN: To remove link to site featuring non-licensed patterns of trademarked images

The longer I sit and stew over this single crochet thing, the less comfortable I get with it. Does anyone think it would work if I made a black background then cross-stitched the logo over it. At least one side is bound to look good that way. I don't really care about the other side.

Here's what I did for my first graph 'ghan. I did the graph part smaller first in sc, then I made a border as wide as I wanted the 'ghan to be. Like a picture with a frame.:yes

Hugs, Sunrisedq

What is a bobbin? I'm not a sewer, but I know that a sewing machine has a bobbin, but that wouldn't be big enough to hold yarn.

Here is what some of the bobbins looks like. I got mine at Joann's. There are 2 different sizes. Also you can make them out of cardboard.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=010781-0003

You will see them in the store as yarn bobbins. Michael's might have some also.:hook

You guys are really tempting me to join!!

I've got the graft printed out for UT and have the yarn..

But I just have tooooo much to do right now.

knitting clogs[ two pair done 6 more to go], Autumn swap[another forum], sweater, a wood bench, baby things [due in Dec.] and this doll here. Lil' Bonnie.

But I will watch to see how you all are doing..

I'm a little confused by the graph site. I have found the logo I'm going to use, and am all ready to upload it to the KnitPro website, but I'm not sure of what 'Grid Size' I need. There's three choices:

Regular (48w x 64h)

Big (96w x 120h)

XL (120w x 160h)

Which is the best choice for an afghan? Or does it matter? I'd like to make a decent size blanket (my hubby is a bigger guy), so would it be better to choose the 'Big' or 'XL' size? Maybe this has nothing to do with the afghan size and I'm just really confused? Thanks!

Archived