Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

sooo...i've noticed a few people saying they were making, or wanted to make afghans of their favorite sports teams...and i want to make one for my bf for christmas, and since i've wanted to be in a CAL for awhile now, but haven't found one that suited me, i thought i'd try and start one myself :)

i will be making one with this as a template: http://kenwilson01.tripod.com/colts.gif ... i'll be making a few changed, but thats the basic idea.

anyone interested in joining with their team of choice? :cheer

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to join too. I've never done a graph before, so it will be fun to learn something new. And I'll make a Steelers one as a surprise for my hubby for Xmas. I saw some patterns on Ebay to buy, I'll have to seriously check them out now :D

I wouldn't spend the money on a pattern. Just find the logo you want to use, save it to your computer and put it in HERE and voila!

Thanks Donna Lynn. I was looking at a graph pattern on ebay but I didn't want to fool with buy it and waiting for it with yarn at the ready, then come to find out I can't even figure it out. At least this way, if I can't do it I didn't pay for it.

of course it doesn't matter what kinda afghan, all are welcome :-D, (sports related of course)

i couldn't see the image either so we'll try this a different way:

EDITED BY ADMIN: Sorry, that image is copyrighted and we can't allow it to be posted here without the copyright holder's permission.

Thanks Donna Lynn. I was looking at a graph pattern on ebay but I didn't want to fool with buy it and waiting for it with yarn at the ready, then come to find out I can't even figure it out. At least this way, if I can't do it I didn't pay for it.

This kind of ghan takes a lot of patience but it really is easy once you start out.

Each square on the graph represents one SC. You do want to make sure that instead of carrying the yarn that you make little "bobbins" of yarn instead. Carrying the yarn over more than a couple of stitches will show through and look bad.

If you need help once you get started just ask. You can do it! I promise! If I can, then you can!

To see what I'm doing you can click HERE to see the pic in my blog. I'm making my hubby a Tampa Bay Bucs ghan for Christmas and am using a graph. It is a royal pain in the behind as this is not a simple logo, not to mention the size I'm making this (king sized when done) but it will be worth it!

I hear ya Donna. This is the logo that I'm doing right now. The color changes are driving me nuts!!! I hope it turns out ok though.

The words 'red'sox' are lined with black. Single sc here, single sc there.....you get the picture.

EDITED BY ADMIN: To remove copyrighted/trademarked photo

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me Donna Lynn. I'm going to be using the Steelers helmet logo which is really simple, with a lot of pretty solid stuff accept for the word. The only question I have is...well...I put the logo into the graphing program thing on the biggest setting (the word wasn't visible on the smaller ones) but the bottom of the graph only says 96 or 97 squares. Does that mean it's only going to be 96 or so single crochets wide? That doesn't seem very wide.

You can make the blanket wider by just adding to the sides and top and bottom. If it says ch 97......make the chain 137.....adding 20 stitches to each side, or as long as you want it. Also remember you will crochet one extra chain for the turning ch. So you would actually chain 138 for your base chain. Make sense?

I have done 2 logo ghans but i will be the cheering squad for you guys color changes can be frustrating what i do is make small balls of each color to use then its not so bad to untangle i do my graph ghans in afghan stitch they are in my epson album under graph ghans if you want to take a peek one is the La Raiders made for my neighbor and one is a Steelers ghan made for an ex boss i had

http://tinyurl.com/5x69x

I've been trying to get enough courage to try a graph for some time and now that so many of us are going to go through this together, I think I will too! This is the logo I'm going to use:

EDITED BY ADMIN: To remove photo due to copyright/trademark issues

Anyone who has made one of these before have any beginning tips for us newbies? I already have all the yarn (hopefully) I will need and the graph so I'll be getting started soon!

You can make the blanket wider by just adding to the sides and top and bottom. If it says ch 97......make the chain 137.....adding 20 stitches to each side, or as long as you want it. Also remember you will crochet one extra chain for the turning ch. So you would actually chain 138 for your base chain. Make sense?

Yes I do understand. Thank you. I think I'm just going to do as it says and then add a yellow and black border around it as big as I want it.That is, if it works out at all, which I'm not holding my breath for. :no

crochetluvknot: I took the time to look at all of your photos. WOW, you do great work. Now, I would like to thank you. My husband is always saying that "You cannot tell me that people have more yarn than you" Well, I showed my husband the pictures of your yarn room and told him I NEVER again wanted to hear him yell about my yarn supply. His eyes bugged out, his jaw dropped, and he very humbly apologized and said he wouldn't say anymore. ROFLMBO! Thanks again!

I have every intenion of making a Green bay Packers afghan for my future SIL she has a room in her apt dedicated to them and a pick-up truck all done up. She's fanical and even goes to their camps before season. If I can't get it done for Christmas then it'll be for b-day in may.:hook

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/sunrisedq/ptfg28.jpg

Not sure how to post pics so here's a try on the design I choose.

Here's another tip for graph 'gans. Done in sc's.

When changing colors put the dropped yarn in the front of the piece.

Have your color yarn in balls in a box lined up as to when you use it. lay your piece on top of the box then rotate box pick up you piece and work, less tangles with your yarn. When you pick up your piece the yarn will now be on the backside.

Hope I haven't confused everyone,:think BUT I did one where I turned my work and had to work through tangeled yarn from 10+ balls of yarn. NOT FUN!! :eek

If anyone else has some tips PLEASE share:yes

Archived