Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

:rant:yell

Oh, I knew it. NO afghan hooks to be had around this little town. :angry

So, I ordered one online, paid almost as much in shipping as I did for the hook and it won't even come for about a week.

Trying to be the ever-resourceful person that I am, I took one of my regular hooks, stuck the end of it into some aquarium air tubing and started crocheting. It was "ok" except that I had to help the loops over the edge of the tubing (both on and back off the tubing again).

And then, I realized that I missed the first chain and had to frog the whole thing anyway. :bang

I WILL make this afghan. Oh yes, I will make this afghan. :tryme

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just stumbled across [EDITED BY ADMIN to remove link to site featuring patterns of trademarked images/characters with no licensing arrangements] that has graphs for all sorts of different teams, and the prices look good. I found a Steelers one that I think I'm going to get even though I won't have a chance to start it until probably after Christmas.

Jennifer, thanks for posting that link - they have a lot of great patterns! I like one of their Chicago Bear patterns better than the one I did using the graphing software, but of course it's more complicated! :lol

I have a question about using the afghan stitch/hook - will I have to make it in panels and then sew them together? For example, for the graph I made, the starting chain will be 160 stitches - will all of them fit on the afghan hook? :think

I like the look the afghan stitch gives, but I want to be able to make it all at once. :)

Thanks,

Glenda

Mine is 124 sts. wide and they sort of fit may get alittle harder the bigger it gets.

Finally I have kept it from curling thanks to dsabol and her finding the link for me. I did the first two rows using the purl st and no more curling :cheer

Okay im only on row 12 but starting to add another color in and I am pretty sure I am doing it right. My question is that at some point I am going to be using 4 different colors at one time not to mention that there will be a couple of those that are used in different places more than once. Is it normal to have like 6 or 8 different bobbins hanging around? Or am gonna be doing something wrong and there is a simpilar way?

Oh my i think at that rate I will have a tangled mess. Good thing this is not a take along project boy would I really have a mess then. As soon as it appears to look like something I will post a pic to make sure it is looking like it is suppose to since I've never made one before.

:clap Andrea, I'm so glad that link worked for you. :D

I'm useful! :cheer:lol

I have to wait for my hook to come in the mail. I'm really sad about that. My "aquarium hose Frankenstein hook" just wasn't working out. :(

They told me 6 days when I ordered it. This weekend I'll be out of town anyway, and hanging with my fiance, so I wouldn't be able to work on it anyhow. So, maybe early next week I'll be able to get started. I guess I should find some of these bobbins everyone talks about. I'm going to have 3 colors (red, white, & blue).

I can't wait to get started...I dreamt about this thing last night. :sleep :dreaming

haha

For now, I'll finish one of my other little projects. :)

Can I join in? :hook I've had a graph of the old NY Yankees logo for over a month but haven't had the courage to start it :lol! My hubby has been begging me to make him this afghan! I thought maybe doing this CAL would give me some motivation! LOL! Here is a pic of the logo I'm using.

EDITED BY ADMIN: to remove photo due to copyright/trademark issues

I got the red and blue yarn already but I ordered the white pounders from Joanns.com along with some yarn bobbins, since they are having a sale (plus I found a 50% coupon code, LOL)....so I'm just waiting for those and then I'm ready!

What stitch is everyone using? I skimmed the posts so far but I only saw a few about stitches. I'm doing a small purse using the new NY Yankees logo but I haven't finished it yet. I'm using sc for that. Just wandering what hook I should use and what stitch :think.

Thanks! I can't wait to get started!

Welcome to our ghan along. Have you dont the afghan stitch before? I am a newbie with it. I am using redheart yarn and a size K afghan hook, I have it now after much frogging getting it to look like something. My logo is OHio State and you can find the logo in my blog. Keep us updated on your progress and if you need help dont be afraid to ask, the experienced ladies in here have been very helpful to me.

Andrea,

No, I've never tried the afghan stitch before, that's the same as the Tunisian stitch, right?

The pattern says I can use SC, tapestry, tunisian, cross stitch method or filet crochet. Since I have never done tunisian I thought I would just do SC but I'm not sure. Is it tough?

Jeanie

Jeanie, you can do the ghans in any stitch you are comfortable with either sc or afghan stitch or what ever you can look online for help ful hints in doing either one and learn how to change colors and such.

i dont use bobbins i just make little yarn balls and keep them in my tote so they dont roll all over the house or become cat toys and do a few rows and untangle then do a few more rows and so on. currently i am doing a ghan of the az cardinals logo for my firends husband for xmas and its afghan stitch thats the only way i do my graph ghans i have never tried to do them in sc but i hear its not to hard. some day i want to make the yankees logo to i have a list a mile long im sure of ghans i want to make some day.

someone in here was using the sc way I personally have not done any of the ways so since i have always wanted to learn the tunsian stitch that is what and how i am doing mine. Im just starting as of last night to add other colors into it so hopefully when I'm done it will actually look like it is suppose to or close to it. LOL

andrea the afghan/tunisian stitch is pretty easy that is how i do mine. when you change colors and are on the return row bring the new yarn under and over the old color and proceed with the taking loops off i find that helps keep the little gaps out and keeps your stitches tigheter check our http://www.crochetcabana.com she has some pictures up to show what i mean or if i can help in any way let me know i would be happy to help

that is the site that dsabol gave me to figure out how to keep mine from curling and I have that down pat and havnt had to frog. I'll have to look for an illustration on what you were telling me since now that I have added a color i do have somewhat of a gap but only on one side of it not the other end . wait did that make since. sometimes I think we need a chalkboard in here so i can have a drawing to look at lol.

Maybe I'll try the tunisian! What size is everyones ghans? And what hooks are you using? My pattern says to use an I hook and the stitch count is 150x200. Is that a good size? It look like others are using a bigger hook?

Jeanie

i am using a size N afghan hook my ghan is 120x150 and it will be about 5x6 feet when its done maybe a little smaller i like using the bigger hooks because they tend to be a lot lighter and the stitches are not as tight nice airy afghan when its done

home.comcast.net/~crochet_cindy/tutorial/afghan.htm

i hope this works if you go to this site and click under changing colors this will show you picks and written out how to change colors on the return row of afghan stitch if the link works for me sometimes they dont

I cant find afghan hooks around here much anymore so the K was the biggest I had Im not sure what size it will end up when I am done but my son is 9 it appears it will be wide enough guess we will see about the length when it is done I suppose I could find a nice border or something to put on it if i needed to when im finished.

Archived