Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

I started my Chicago Bears afghan this weekend and so far have gotten 14 rows done, but it's not very exciting because it is solid black so far. :lol

I bought a pattern from the site Jennifer posted, cuddle-up creations. It is pretty simple, I think. I only have to work with 2 colors at a time, and there is a lot of the solid black at the bottom and top.

I'm doing it in sc, using a K hook with Bernat Softee Chunky. I crochet pretty tight, and it's still 4 feet wide. I think it will be about 6 feet long when it's finished. The pattern is 150 x 200. I'm getting about 3.5 sc per inch. Even though it's just black so far, I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Andrea, yours is looking good! :yes Why do you think you need to frog it? :yarn

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrea,

This is the first graph ghan I've done, and I decided to do sc because I don't know how to do the afghan stitch. I looked at some of the tutorials, but I was too anxious to get started to wait to learn something new,:hook plus with the width of my afghan it sounded like I would have to do several panels and sew them together, and that didn't appeal to me at all. :no

Anyway, I'm sort of winging it. I'm just doing one sc for each square on my graph. My graph is 150 squares wide, so I made a chain of 151, then started with the first row on the graph from right to left. The only hitch is I'll have to work every other row from left to right, since with the sc you turn at the end of the row. I haven't really had to do that yet since I'm still in one color, but I don't *think* it will be toooo hard, I'll just have to remember. :eek I think I will mark the rows on the graph that I work left to right with an arrow or something. The graph is 200 rows, so I'll being doing 200 rows of sc! :eek :eek But it's going pretty quickly so far. :yay

I decided to do use the chunky yarn and a K hook because my brother wanted a BIG afghan, so I figured I'd use chunky yarn to get it as big as possible. It's 4 feet wide and will hopefully be about 6 ft long, so if that's not big enough for him, I guess I'll have to add a border!

I'm sure there are people here that have done sc graph ghans that will have much better directions, but unless I'm doing it totally wrong,:lol it doesn't seem too hard so far. :clap

I can't see anything wrong with yours so far, but if you aren't happy with it, I know how that is.:yes I'm also doing the Granny Square CAL, and I had about 9 rounds done and frogged it, even though the people I showed it to said it looked fine. I'm much happier with it now.:manyheart

(I saw you popped in over on the Granny Square CAL - those work up fast so you should join and we can do both together!!! :devil )

Thanks for your answers Glenda , I have been waiting for 3 days now for someone to tell me if I was doing it right and only got a few responses and those were from ones that have not done a graph before either, Its alright I can still use the same colors and just make it a different way, Yes you saw me over there and I will pry end up making one no doubt Im just not real good with color placement.

Andrea,

I think it looks right too. I just finished a small 12x12 yankees graph for a purse I am making. I must have ripped it out a million times since I wasn't sure if what I was doing was right! But I finally left it and it turned out beautiful! I'm still not finished with it though, :lol. I still have the back and the lining to finish! But my point was to just keep going! Honestly, I was finding myself ripping everything I was making out because I was so afraid of doing it wrong. I finally just realized that there really isn't a wrong way, if you like how it looks then leave it! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Hugs :hug

Andrea, itsgeetee is right with single crochet you need to reverse every other row and chain one at the beginning of the chain and the end of the rows. one square is equal to one stitch. i think your pictures look pretty good from what i can tell. keep it up you will be ok. Dawn

I love all your graph ghans theya re gorgeous. What beautiful work you do. Did you use the tunisan st. or sc? I pretty much just gave up on mine I didnt like the way it turned out. Maybe I just picked something to hard for a first one.

Thank You Andrea, all my ghans have been done in the afghan/tunisian stitch dont give up on yours you will get through it there are places online where you can learn to change colors in single crochet or afghan stitch or you can always give me a hollar and i can try to help you in any way that i can. i am better at afghan stitch than single crochet but i can try to help you if you want. Dawn

Dawn,

Awesome! Great job :cheer

Andrea,

Why don't you try something smaller? I went on eBay and found a graph pattern I liked then emailed the seller to ask if she could down size it for me to a 12x12 and I am making a small handbag with it. I'm glad I tried it this way first, I felt alot less stressed. Again, it's still not finished as I keep starting other projects around it, :lol but don't give up! You can do this! Trust me, if I can do it, you can too :hug. Hugs!

I actually think that because I took a logo and hit knit pro and graphed it that the color is sort of smeared and just pry not right at all. I did find someone in another forum that I go to that said she designed one like what I want to do and its only like 4.95 for the pattern so I'm waiting to see if it might work better that way. I have looked around for pattern books on the afghan st. and charts and have yet to find anything. It appears around here there isnt much even the hooks are pretty much nil and shorter. Thank god I am a packrat with somethings lol. One day I may figure this st. out lol.

I've never done this but have been wanting to make a bag with a Detroit Red Wings logo. Is it any easier to make the bag first and then stitch the logo on top? I've seen this done with knitting, think it was called Swiss darning or something, and it mimicked the knit stitch. I don't know how you'd do it with crochet though, and I'd rather crochet. Has anyone cross-stitched or embroidered onto crochet?

Thanks! I've never tried Tunisian crochet, looks like knitting on a crochet hook at first glance. Can you cross stitch on top of single crochet? I'd like to make this for Christmas, so would rather not attempt something new at this particular moment, but definitely later!

Well, I never tried that, myself. :think

I just started trying to learn tunisian, though, and it's actually VERY easy. I would be continuing my blanket in tunisian, if I had my HOOK that I've been waiting so impatiently for. Don't get me started. :lol

I live in the boonies and they just don't sell those hooks around here so I had to order one. I got tired of waiting and started in the single crochet, which has also been a learning experience but it's getting better.

Good luck! :)

MojoZane,

I just finished the front of a graph handbag in sc. Here it is. I have no idea if I did it right, it looks a little weird to me but it's ok I guess. Anyone know if this is how it's supposed to look? :lol I think I may have done it wrong! Ahhhhh! LOL

yankeesfront.jpg

Archived