Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

just wondered cause I started mine today and was thinking of using a bigger hook before I got to far and have to rip alot out. I think I will do that and use 2 strands.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a K and one strand which is working out fine for me. I am using red heart. ARe you having any problems with it curling? I am on row 10 and its still curling and I dont know if I'm doing something wrong or if it will straighten itself out.

Ok, you guys have convinced me to start over again with the 114 stitch pattern that I managed to print clearly.:yes

If people are still talking of frogging with more rows done than I have, it will be worth it in the end for ease of working the pattern and it was always going to be a part of a larger afghan as my graph is only 32 rows (now to be 28 rows) high.

This is why we do these things together, we get each other over the heavy ground as lightly as possible :clap

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My picture is working out evenly, my edges are straight, but when I count the stitches on my graph, the number of stitches it says don't match the number of stitches I have. I can't print anywhere in color. Is there anyway that I can get the PDF file that graphing site gives into microsoft paint or something like that? I think a big part of my problem is that there are varying shades of one color. If I could color them all in the same color it would really help.

Andrea,

I'm using Red Heart too, but I did decide to use 2 strands and "K", haven't had any curling yet. Maybe your crocheting to tight. I'm on row 8.

This link was on page one but I'll add it here as this is getting larger

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

You submit your pic that you may find here if you need one:

http://www.sportslogos.net/index.php

You end up with a PDF of your logo - I'd suggest that you go for the largest size when you select.

You can also use print screen to get a larger version of your logo ( may need to cut and paste it

I actually just started a Chicago Bears one yesterday! It's going to be my first ever graphed afghan and I'm freaking out. :-P

Hopefully I'll have it done by Christmas so I can give it to my dad. And if I'm REALLY lucky, I'll get it done REALLY early, then make my mom a Dallas Cowboys one...

I am up and running on another graph ghan so i guess i am joining in i am making an az cardianls ghan for my friends husband for xmas its a graph i made using pc stitch and am doing it in afghan stitch with an N hook working the colors in as i go as with all my other ghans.

Come on ladies we can do this lets keep up the good work

my graph is 120 stitches wide by 150 rows so it will be a decent size

i started it yesterday and have did 32 rows

A couple of questions...

Once you find a picture, how do you graph it?

I have not read through all 80 replies yet so if it listed could you point me in the direction of that post.

Also... Anyone doing and OU Sooners ghan?

Someone here is actually a Sooners fan??? Just kidding... :hug I just can't talk to you anymore - especially since my Longhorns are playing your Sooners on Saturday! :lol

I've never done a graph-ghan before and I'm a little nervous about it:blink, but I would love to make a Chicago Bears one for my borther for Christmas.

I put the logo in the microrevolt program at the highest setting, so it's 160 stitches by 106 rows. (I'm just using the "C" from the helmet. I figured that I would start with something simple).

I haven't been crocheting that long and I have no idea how to guesstimate how much yarn to buy since I don't have a pattern that tells me how many of each color to get. I'm thinking of using Bernat Softee Chunky and I would also like to put the orange, white and blue around it in a border. Would anyone be willing to venture a guess as to how much I should buy? :think I'm thinking maybe 10 of the blue? But see I have no idea if that's ridiculously too much or what.

Also, this may be a silly question, but when working from a graph, do I work the first row right to left, then turn my work and follow the graph from left to right? Or do I still work the graph from right to left? It seems confusing, but I think it will make sense once I start. At least I hope!

Thanks in advance for your help! :manyheart

Plan was to go to Walmart yesterday *alone* to get the yarn to make this 'ghan, but at the last min. DH decided he wanted to go. So I still have not started. Think I am just going to order it off line. Also wondering how much to buy? At Walmart I can take it back if unused. I am using dark green yellow and white. (Green Bay colors)

Oh my gosh, I may have to drop out of a couple other CALs to join this one. How funny, I was just looking for Red Sox patterns today. :lol

I found one I like on Ebay, but when I looked at it, I'm not sure how it will turn out. I think I'll play with the knitpro thing some more.

I did it earlier but it was so blurry I couldn't make it out. Should I go with the XL? That seems like it has the right number of stitches...

Go Sox! :cheer

hehe

Also, this may be a silly question, but when working from a graph, do I work the first row right to left, then turn my work and follow the graph from left to right? Or do I still work the graph from right to left? It seems confusing, but I think it will make sense once I start. At least I hope!

:manyheart

Hmm...that's a good question. Do we need to do the afghan stitch which, I think, gets worked back & forth without turning the work? Can someone answer that?

I was going to mention to you, Itsgeetee, it might be worth it for you to use a yarn that doesn't have dye lots (I think Red Heart does that) so if you decide you need more, you won't run into dye lot issues.

I think that's what I'm going to do, too, because this is my first graph-ghan, too. :D

someone is doing it with sc. but the afghan st. is all in the front. I have never done a graph either so this is my first attempt. I have ripped it out more times than I can count and its still curling I keep getting looser changed the way I started it read everything I could , joined a tunsian group on yahoo and to no avail i still have curling lol.

Andrea, I was thinking about your curling issues this morning and I had an idea, that I might use myself.

Do you think it would look alright if you started going around the afghan with a border, in the round? On the sides of the afghan your stitches would be sideways then, on the border, but I thought it might help it lay flatter having the border to hold it straight.

What do you all think? Would that look alright? A border in the round on an afghan like this? I was thinking about doing it to mine just to make it bigger because my fiance is 6' 5" and this is for him. :)

Let me know what you think because I'm trying to decide if I need to just add the border, as I go, so it's all in the same direction, or if I could get away with doing it in the round afterwards...:think

Andrea, I was looking at afghan stitch tutorials and I found this:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/tunisian.htm

She talks about a different stitch for the first couple rows that is supposed to keep your work from curling. Another site I found suggested doing a couple rows of single crochet all around the edges of your work (similar to my border idea) to get it to lay flat.

I also just started looking at this page and it looks pretty good too.

http://home.comcast.net/~crochet_cindy/tutorial/afghan.htm

Wow, I'm going to have 3 posts in a row! :lol

I have a big question. I was figuring the size of my afghan, if I use the grid I got from knitpro... I used the XL graph, so it's 160X120...if you figure a quarter inch for each stitch my afghan will only be 30X40 inches... my fiance is 6' 5"! So I would need a pretty serious border to make it larger.

I was wondering if it makes sense to count each block as 2 stitches and 2 rows...so it's like a block of 4 stitches. That would work, wouldn't it?:think

I had an image in my head of this great big afghan...not a little foot warmer. :lol :lol

I was using RH ww yarn and my 160 stitch chain hung from my chin to the floor - I'm 5'6". I may have been using a 7mm hook.

What sizes are you using for yarn and hook? that would affect your overall size.

Regarding your question, yes, you could do that and get 4times as much afghan. it seems like it should only be twice as big but area wise it is 4 times the size. It's way too early for math class.

Well...I haven't actually gotten my stuff yet...but I'm getting ready to go get it right now. :cheer

I was going to get the RH Pounders, and I was thinking of a J hook, but looking at a conversion chart, it looks like you're using something slightly larger than a K hook... hmmm....

I was also thinking about adding some squares to the edges of my pattern AND adding the border, because the pattern is simple enough I could do that.

When I did my math, I came up with 200X280, and it worked out to about a 4X6 afghan...

I guess I'll just have to work a row or two and see how it measures and refigure from there...trial & error. :hook

I'm hoping Michaels has afghan hooks, because I don't have alot of options, where I live. It's pretty much Michaels or Walmart unless I want to drive 30 minutes to get to the little store that's got weird hours but lots of nice yarn. :lol

Wish me luck. I'm obsessed with making this afghan. I hope it comes out nice. We're getting married next September and I think this would be a nice gift. Although I'm thinking I better throw something else in with it, in case he looks at this and goes "oh...uh...it's...nice...":(

Maybe this will help. The Dallas afghan pictured in post #29.

74"x45", Afghan stitch- chained on 186 for 227 rows..

18-100 gr skeins.. Used size J(10) hook.

RH super saver is 8oz = 225 gr.

Archived