Sports Team Afghan CAL

lee_ann

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day all. I have not gone through and read how every one is doing. I hope that you are all doing well with your sports team afghans.

I have not gotten any further. I will pick it pack up here real soon and get working on it again. My DH teases that I may not have it done till next Christmas. It was supposed to be a gift for this Christmas. OH Well, It will eventually get done. I need to take some time and go through this thread and see what has been done a pictures of what has been done.

Well, I guess I am going to join the CAL. I have just purchased my yarn and edited my graph and counts... I am going to do it in tunisian. I LOVE doing tunisian with large hooks. The fabric is sooo drapey and not too holey. I am doing our local college logo in a stadium blanket size.

I am not too happy with the white yarn I bought. It is "soft white" and looks too beige. I wanted Wool Ease white but couldn't find it locally. I looked at some other whites and they were "squeaky". Has anyone else had that problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ya'll I finished the graph part of my lapghan. It is CA for the highschool I graduated from, my dad still goes to all the games he can. I made a 2 ft by 4 ft center in the colors with a big CA and it turned out great. Now I am doing the bobby square in the red and grey on the outside to make the blanket about 4ft by 4ft. It was supposed to be a christmas present for my dad but he knows its coming soon. My only problem was when I got to the CA part I started crocheting tighter and now the top and bottom of the blanket flare out does anyone know how I could go about fixing this without frogging? Its not a huge deal but It drives me nuts!!! Oh and I will have to post a pic later this evening.

They all sound great...I started an Atlanta Falcons one for my hubby, but i frogged it before I even got to my 5th row. I didnt like the way it looked. My question....When you come to a color change block, do you change the color there or do you change it in the previous one so that you can do a complete sc in that color....

Actually...When doing it that way, how do you even change the colors. I keep thinking of how it would be done in knit, and I keep wanting to just give up and do it in knit...Please help me stick to the crocheting.....lol

Well, I finally bought a better white yarn and started my sports ghan. I need this by the middle of March.

Also, my niece just had a premie baby, 1 1/2 pounds. She is 2 1/2 weeks old now. She is a fighter! I was slow to start her a blanket (sounds bad, but the odds were so slim that she would survive). Now I gotta get that going too. So I have two time-sensitive projects. My niece's shower is still on schedule from before the complications started, in just a couple weeks! Yikess....so much to do, so little time.

Stitchinpick

Linda

I have another dumb question. I've never seen a graph ghan live and in person, so I really don't have any idea of the schematics involved in all this. Can I assume that it's all about the single crochet, color changes, and being able to read a graph?

I've been thinking about these ever since I saw the afghan on Ms. Lady's photobucket account, but I don't know the first thing about them.

Although I will probably have to wait until I get through with the other big project that I'm working on first, unless it winds up in the yard.

:devil

And I forgot to add: color-guessing!!!

Yes...graphs are done in single crochet.

And...yes...you are changing colors.

And...yes again...you need to be able to read a graph.

Color guessing??? When you use...

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

your graph comes out in the color of the picture you chose.

If I can do it...anyone can do it!!!

is this CAL still up and going? i hope so i just started a NY yankees baby afghan and then my DH wants me to start on a pirates one.. i read through this whole topic and want to thank everyone for their links and chatter it's helped me a ton!

• 3 months later...

Somehow, I missed this thread . . . Here's my progress so far.

I've been working on this since October. It's been VERY slow going. It takes about 1/2 hr to do one row.

So it sits for weeks on end, as I can't bear to pick it up most days - but I'm just past the 1/2 way point. I'm using the afghan stitch, and I'm hoping I can get this finished by the end of July for my Dad's birthday (but the way it's going . . . it'll probably end up as a Christmas present :blush ).

th_100_1855.jpg

This is my first afghan using this stitch & I'm not so sure I'll try tackling this again. I'm using a size G hook. If I ever do decide to do another one . . . I'll definitely use a bigger hook!

I've been working on this since October. It's been VERY slow going. It takes about 1/2 hr to do one row.

So it sits for weeks on end, as I can't bear to pick it up most days - but I'm just past the 1/2 way point. I'm using the afghan stitch, and I'm hoping I can get this finished by the end of July for my Dad's birthday (but the way it's going . . . it'll probably end up as a Christmas present :blush ).

th_100_1855.jpg

This is my first afghan using this stitch & I'm not so sure I'll try tackling this again. I'm using a size G hook. If I ever do decide to do another one . . . I'll definitely use a bigger hook!

Wow JazzRizz! That looks great! Awesome!

Wow Tara and missmaggie. Those are looking great. I'm still plugging away on mine. I probably won't work on it for a little bit but I joined the Sky CAL and that should help me get mine done in time to be a Christmas present for hubby.

Hi Tara: your cardinals ghan is looking great, please don't give up on the afghan stitch i do know that maybe next time you will need a larger hook.

I finally got the hang of the tunisian crochet and i wouldn't do a graph afghan any other ways..

I do use a J or K so its easier.

Good speed and keep up the great job on that ghan.

Wow tara that steelers graph ghan looks awesome.. you gave me a idea on how to do my borders for when i need to make one for my ghans.

Thanks for sharing

Hi Tara: your cardinals ghan is looking great, please don't give up on the afghan stitch i do know that maybe next time you will need a larger hook.

I finally got the hang of the tunisian crochet and i wouldn't do a graph afghan any other ways..

I do use a J or K so its easier.

Good speed and keep up the great job on that ghan.

Don't get me wrong, I love how this afghan is turning out.

I started to make it with sc, and it just wasn't working for me.

So I tried a larger afghan hook (J) at first, but I preferred how the smaller hook (G) looked. I just didn't realize when I started this how slow going it would be. I thought I was going to lose my mind working on the letters. There were SO MANY color changes through that part.

It's better now that I'm on the top part with just the the bird. It's starting to go a lot faster with fewer color changes. Now, if I could just count right :blush . I've had to redo 4 rows because I keep miscounting.

I just placed an order from Annie's Attic in case I get the urge to make another afghan stitch afghan. Tunisian Cable Hook (hook sizes are L, M, N) on sale for $0.79! I also ordered the afghan pattern book on sale too.

What stitch are you using? the afghan or SC?

either way your's afghan is turning out beautifully! keep it up!:cheer

I'm hoping I can get this finished by the end of July for my Dad's birthday (but the way it's going . . . it'll probably end up as a Christmas present :blush ).

th_100_1855.jpg

Those are awesome!:clap i better not show my Dh, BIL & FIL b/c i'd have to make them one. LOL Living in steeler country here!

you did a great job!

Here are my first and second Steeler afghans...

SteelerAfghan001.jpg

SamsSteelerafghan001.jpg

I finished my blanket a while ago and completely forgot:eek to update ya'll here:loser.. so sorry! :oops I already gave it to my friend for her newborn son... My friend is holding the blanket.

I'm not sure if i can get it to upload on this site...pamandblanket.jpg

here's the link if that doesn't work.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_I-zODmUgDX0/RifySWbteJI/AAAAAAAAAKc/TR7bGXMMI_M/s1600-h/pamandblanket.jpg

I made it using caron simply soft midnight for the blue and white.. i used a H hook and SC the center square then i added the boarder to make it more interesting..

so what do you think?

PS:

as i was doing it my DH decided he wanted to try making a pirates one.. so i taught him how to SC and showed him how to do it.. i offered to make it for him.. he wanted to do it though... LOL he hasn't really done much. i think he gave up..:loser. LOL

• 2 months later...

Hi Ladies:

What is going on with our afghans???? Are you gals still working on them.

Please keep us updated post youre WIP here.

I've been keeping the tunisian stitch CAL pretty active there so even if you gals are doing sports cal you can go and join us there too.. some of the ladies are doing sc for their cal as well...

I hope to see you there...

Tara did you get to finish the cardinals graph for your dad???

ALLENA that NY Yankies baby blanket came out awesome... My hubby is a Mets fan so some day I want to make him a Mets ghan...

Great job

Archived