Fabulous Newspaper article

Catana

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I agree, it was interesting and encouraging.....perhaps crochet will transcend it "uncool" (though untrue) image soon.....that would be wonderful!

Thank you for sharing. I'm happy to see good press on crocheting.

People do still look at me funny when I am out working on something.

They tend to think crocheters are all elderly women (ever see that tv commercial? The one about the air freshener cover....) see what I mean?

I agree with you Cindy...people do tend to look at us a bit weird if we are crocheting in Public...But I say- All the more reason for all of us to get out there with our projects and promote crocheting :hook :hook :hook It will spark Public interest and that will make it more popular......so...Fellow crocheters...GO OUT AND GET IN THIER FACES WITH YOUR CRAFT:soap

• 1 month later...

Maybe I just live in an odd area (ok, well,that's a given...lol...it tends to be maybe a bit more craft oriented here than perhaps california or new york). Just about an hr away in floyd, VA we have the jacksonville school that teaches many old textile skills and then in NC we have the Campbell school of textiles school (this also teaches blacksmithing and art and dancing), then the local community college has started (like last 2 years) having spinning/weaving/sewing classes (might need to address them about crocheting classes). Reason for noting all that is when I am out somewhere and am crocheting (or other crafts) I don't get looked at like I'm odd or "special", it's usually w/ curiosity and intrigue as folks watch me creating. Many times I've had conversations started up due to folks wanting to learn more on it.

The odd looks came when I was trying to make something w/ a nifty knitter once (was like my first craft w/ it and was figuiring it out also...lol).

I did find the article way neat also about the views on our art.

Sandy

Great Article. I am glad it gave the differences between knitting and crochet. Crochet is catching on.

Linda:cheer

Fantastic article!! Thanks for posting that. Personally, I fear that crochet will never be "accepted" and heralded like knit. Knitters them selves (not all knitters ok? dont send me hate mail :) ) looking down their noses at our craft as inferior inhibits our ability to climb to equal status. There have been lots of threads posted here at the ville where hookers have complained of the ill treatment they've recieved in high end yarn shops, or the snide comments they've recieved from knitters. Its not the "world at large" who've relegated us to the sculleries, those who've never crafted, generally don't know a seed stitch from a dc. eh...but that's just how I see it :)

:) Thank so much for posting this newspaper article as I was thrilled to to info. on books.

Happy Days

Fun4me

• 3 weeks later...
Great Article. I am glad it gave the differences between knitting and crochet. Crochet is catching on.

Linda:cheer

Loved the article. They forgot one difference though, IT'S DANGEROUS! (to me anyway - LOL) My hand slipped once and I made a big scratch up my arm, looked like a cat clawed me (needed 3 gauze pads and band-aid tape). Nevr did get the hang of it. Crocheting is safer with a big plastic hook.

Ellie 13 :yes

Archived