Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

that is beautiful heather like the colours im still doing my the around the world one but got asked to do memory star from a book i have which i know have just few squares left of then its the sewing together also making just normal one for friend aswell happy crocheting everyone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been on much lately. I've been keeping track of all the gorgeous things everyone else is doing. Even though I have a lot of commitments you've inspired me to get going on my Cat Quilt. I made a sample tile and decided I needed to do brighter colors.

So now that I have a more definite plan, here's a preview of what I hope it will come out like. I'm going to try to find cat eye buttons and braid tails and embroider whiskers when it is done. Now I will drag out all the skeins I'm thinking of using and try to match up the colors to make a more accurate graph. Once I get that done I can do the design row by row and join as I go. I can't face making all those squares and then having to sew them together. :eek I used a cross stitch program to do the graphing, it seemed to work out alright.

CatQuilt.jpg

It is presumptuous of me, but, if anyone else would like to give it a try feel free. Also, if anyone has any design improvements to suggest I'm always open to new ideas. :yes

Cara, coming from you I am honored. :nworthy I love all your designs. I'm probably getting way over my head with this one. One of the reasons I posted it was to give myself a nudge towards getting going on it.

Now that steamy summer has arrived in Central PA, it's a good time to work on squares. I have a MAM and a ripple to finish for a benefit my husband is involved with. I'm doing the Prairie Star for a friend and my ongoing baby afghans for the local hospital.

So with some helpful prodding from all of you I may get a good start on this.

Leslie - Aww shucks :blush Thank you, hon :hug I really think it's excellent the way it is :yes I'd love to see it done and I just might have to make one for my sister for her holiday gift :hook

Leslie, that pattern is beautiful - I printed out the graph for sometime down the road...

It looks like another great stash buster, too!!

Where did you find the program to make the graph? I have something I'm doing and anything to make life easier would help!

Leslie, that pattern is beautiful - I printed out the graph for sometime down the road...

It looks like another great stash buster, too!!

Where did you find the program to make the graph? I have something I'm doing and anything to make life easier would help!

Amen sista. I've been drawing up my own graphs on paper. :eek Lotta work. :yes I'm not a designer but I like to go convert some of the perdy quilt blocks into crochet quilt blocks. :D

Cara, Tabby, Judy, thanks a lot all of you. Now you are actually going to force me to finish it! :P Think how embarassing if you finished before I did!:2blush

I used Patternmaker Pro for the charting. I used to dabble in cross stitch design so I bought the expanded version. The grid lines are drawn with the backstitch tool. You can save as a graphic file so that's what I did to post the graph.

You probably wouldn't need Pro to do this. The regular version would work. Actually it's an old version on my computer and some of the newer types would probably work better. I'm pretty sure there are free downloads of newer programs out there. It is fairly easy to draw the grids in. The program has a snap to grid feature built in. To print out you just choose the solid block option, and choose to hide the background grid.

Thanks for the info, Leslie - and there's absolutely NO DANGER of me finishing the cat quilt before you!:lol :lol :lol

I haven't been on much lately. I've been keeping track of all the gorgeous things everyone else is doing. Even though I have a lot of commitments you've inspired me to get going on my Cat Quilt. I made a sample tile and decided I needed to do brighter colors.

So now that I have a more definite plan, here's a preview of what I hope it will come out like. I'm going to try to find cat eye buttons and braid tails and embroider whiskers when it is done. Now I will drag out all the skeins I'm thinking of using and try to match up the colors to make a more accurate graph. Once I get that done I can do the design row by row and join as I go. I can't face making all those squares and then having to sew them together. :eek I used a cross stitch program to do the graphing, it seemed to work out alright.

CatQuilt.jpg

It is presumptuous of me, but, if anyone else would like to give it a try feel free. Also, if anyone has any design improvements to suggest I'm always open to new ideas. :yes

Leslie, you have left me drooling - this is fabulous!! Marvelous!! Stupendous!! And even though I'm a dog person, I have plenty of friends and stepchildren that love their kitties. Guess I'll have to make a few of these ... now where is that stash of mine???

CatQuilt.jpg

---------

Leslie, this is so fantastic! I would definitely want to take the plunge with the little squares for this one. The only thing I was thinking about was the kitties' tails on the two outer groups of blocks. I think for those blocks, I'd continue the same color as the cat for the entire bottom row, and then continue it for a few squares more up the last column, so that it looks like the kitty's tail is behind it and standing up. You could even have the tail curl around if you wanted. Other than that, I think you did such a wonderful job in this design! :cat

Leslie ~ I stay on the Happy House CAL most of the time, but just had to comment on your Cat Quilt design. It's absolutely wonderful! Your design is great and can't wait to see it come alive. :manyheart

Leslie - Great job on the Kitty Quilt. It inspires me to work on my Magic Carpet Quilt. I got all the yarns but didn't do a swatch or anything. :blush

Have you joined the Sky CAL ? It might help with other projects while doing the Kitty Quilt. I might do it with my own Quilt. Just a thought. :yes

Renee, that's an interesting idea. I might try that out on the graph and see how it looks. You have me thinking. :devil That is a dangerous thing.

Donna, Heather, Mary, Diane, thanks.

I liked the Sky Cal idea. The problem for me with specific days assigned is I can't always crochet every day. I do my own version of a rotation system to help keep up with everything. Instead of designating specific days to work on projects, I work 2 or 3 days on one, and then go to another. I just rotate thru them in order. Right now the order is: Sea Ripple, MAM, Prairie Star, squares for Kitty Quilt, Baby Ghans for local hospital. I used to do this same thing for counted cross stitch and it worked great. I"m also using my Kitty Quilt squares for a carry along project.

Hi, :cheer This is a first for me to find out that you can use crochet to make a quilt. I must say they are all beautiful. As I was reading through the messages on this CAL I came across The Nine Patch Afghan Crochet Pattern and fell in love with the easy design and crocheting pattern of it. :hug I printed it out but I have not decided if I should attempt it yet. I just wanted to say beautiful work. I love the cat graph also. See you around the ville. :clap

:cheer Hi I would like to join this CAL. Last night I started working on the "Nine Patch Crocheted Afghan" which I mentioned in my previous message I fell in love with. I had some RH Aran so I started with that color. I haven't closen any other color yet and decided to do one color at a time. I felt so encourage to join in through all the posts I have read. Hope to meet all of you on the ville. :cheer

:cheer Hi I would like to join this CAL. Last night I started working on the "Nine Patch Crocheted Afghan" which I mentioned in my previous message I fell in love with. I had some RH Aran so I started with that color. I haven't closen any other color yet and decided to do one color at a time. I felt so encourage to join in through all the posts I have read. Hope to meet all of you on the ville. :cheer

Welcome to the 'ville and this CAL!:hug

Where do you live in NJ? I'm in Monmouth County...

:eek Hi Judy. Thank you for the warm welcome. I am Sayreville by East Brunswick in Middlesex County.. :manyheart

I'm in Aberdeen, just south of you! Another member lives 10 minutes away from me at the end of Matawan!

:yay Wow we all live very close to each other. Do you go to AC Moore in Mid-state Mall that is where I get most of my yarn. Well speak to you again soon. Again thanks for the warm welcome it put a smile on my face. :c9

Archived