edgings on fabric

craftymom

How do you make the holes in fabric to crochet edgings? Is there a special tool, or do you just take a yarn needle to it? And if there's a special tool, where do you get it at? :think

Thanks so much

-craftymom

I don't know about any special tool or what to do! But I did see a tip on Stichcraft useing Ric Rac. You sew the ric rac down the center near the edge of the fabric. Which makes little v pockets. Then you use them like a chain row and stitch directly in them. I hope that makes sence and helps. I know its not what you were looking for but its a genius solution:D

When I am crocheting to fabric I use my hook to poke a hole, that I then crochet into to join the thread and the fabric together. You can use an awl if the fabric is very thick or tough. I normally use one in the corners where I have multi levels of fabric to go through. But for the the most part I just poke as I go. Not my favoritest things to do, but I love a nice edging. Hope this helps.

A piece of fabric that has been hemstitched is easier to do but unless you can buy one or have a sewing machine that can do hemstitching you will have to do it the hard way.

Another idea my mom taught me is to run a row or two of machine basting stitches along the edge and then crochet into the individual stitches. This works well with a small hook.

Another idea my mom taught me is to run a row or two of machine basting stitches along the edge and then crochet into the individual stitches. This works well with a small hook.

That's a great idea. I was wondering how to do something like this.. I was thinking of making some Jeans' Purses using the top of the Jeans and crochet on the bottom, but couldn't figure out how to integrate the two.

I was wondering if there was a really large needle (maybe one used to sew on leather?) that would fit in my sewing machine. If there is, I was thinking of running the machine over the material to create evenly spaced holes, that I could then crochet into with a small hook?

Joan

The leather needle is a good idea but I doubt it will work in a sewing machine unless you have a very special machine! On the other hand, there's nothing to stop you from punching the fabric by hand with a big needle. It might be worthwhile to mark your placement with chalk so that the holes will be even.

• 2 years later...

I have always been told that when you want to add a crochet edging to anything that you blanket stitch around the edge and then crochet into the blanket stitch.

You would use the words crochet edging for searching.

There is a product out there called edgery doo that a fellow ville member sells - I don't know much about it - but I think it is made specifically for this.

If you do a search for it here on the ville, You will find more info.

Hope this helps,

TLOL,

Toni

If you have a sewing machine which does zig zag you can purchase a wing needle and run it with or without thread through the hem of your cloth to spread apart the weave. These are readily available at fabric stores everywhere. Joann's has them on the wall with their sewing notions. Set your machine to a basting stitch length, sew at an even distance near the edge, and it should leave tiny holes for your likewise-tiny crochet hook. I suggest sewing through at least two layers of fabric so that the hook and crochet threads don't tear it later.

The Lionbrand website has free patterns for edgings. They feature one each week in their news letter.

Just curious, why hasn't anyone mentioned the edgery doo in this thread? Is it not the right tool? (I don't have one but i am curious as to how they work).

Not knowing what the edgerydoo is I googled it. It is a tool that pierces the fabric and make holes for you. Why not poke holes like Kathy said and for harder places use an awl. Or just use the awl because it will do the same thing. Unless you want a fancy thing to make holes.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing. Because I was ready to post it, until somebody else did. I think it works great!!!!!

Carol:hook

The Lionbrand website has free patterns for edgings. They feature one each week in their news letter.

Just curious, why hasn't anyone mentioned the edgery doo in this thread? Is it not the right tool? (I don't have one but i am curious as to how they work).

If you have a sewing machine which does zig zag you can purchase a wing needle and run it with or without thread through the hem of your cloth to spread apart the weave. These are readily available at fabric stores everywhere. Joann's has them on the wall with their sewing notions. Set your machine to a basting stitch length, sew at an even distance near the edge, and it should leave tiny holes for your likewise-tiny crochet hook. I suggest sewing through at least two layers of fabric so that the hook and crochet threads don't tear it later.

Thank--you gran, now I gottta go out and buy one. This will help me greatly a Wing Needle. I always used the awl.

no more awls..

thanks again,

sunnywolfgar

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted in another area about the wing needle. I had tried it a couple of years ago (without thread) and it just was doing the job.

Tried it with thread and a zig-zag stitch...........I almost fell out of my chair!!!!

Its perfect as long as my sewing machine keeps living! I looked for the skip blade all over southern California but wasn't able to find one. I'm glad I gave the wing needle another try....its perfect and you can adjust your stitches as far apart or close together that you want.

Peggy Pennie

Archived