knifty knitter

falfal115

Hi everyone,

I hope this is where this question goes. I searched through here to see if there were any threads that had this question but I didnt find one so here goes :

is a knifty knitter worth buying? Starting this Sunday it will be on sale for $9.47 at michaels and I want to buy one but not sure if I should invest in one.

:think

It has it's place. But if you want to learn to knit, this is not the way to do it. It is very limited in what it can do. But if you want to make a few hats and scarves, go for it. I found it very awkward to use.

I bought a similar one for my 4 year old. It is difficult to get started, and keeps getting jammed, but over all she likes to make things with it. I like the concept, but find it is kind of small for making anything like a hat. We also couldn't get it to knit flat...only in the round.

i got to work with one at michaels doing a demo for it. i found it complicated to learn but once you got started it's kind of fun. there are ways to work straight with it, but it doesn't come with much of a manual, you have to buy a separate booklet (around here the booklet is only $1, but still). i don't knit but i do know that it isn't a substitute for knitting, just something different to work with. there is a lady that frequents our michael's and said her 10 yr old daughter was making sweater sleeves (with much success - i saw one of the sweaters, the kid was wearing it) and stitching them onto bodies she had hand knitted. seemed to work fine for that. i've also seen booties, hats and scarves from it. there is also a straight line knifty knitter. i'd go to michaels and watch a demo for it...sometimes they'll actually let you play with it, too. (at least i did)

I have two sets of the round and the rectangle one. There are a number of sites on the web to go to for help that have videos and there are a lot of patterns available through these sites. I have made scarves, hats, headbands, slippers and many more are there. I am planning to do an afghan. My son has also made sets of scarves and hats - one for himself that he wears alot. I really do enjoy mine. I hope you will at least try a set and will come to enjoy and have fun with it. I have also made several magic scarves with mine and gave as presents to friends.:)

is a knifty knitter worth buying? Starting this Sunday it will be on sale for $9.47 at michaels and I want to buy one but not sure if I should invest in one.

:think

In a word...YES

I love mine! I have made lots of hats with it and some scarves. There is alot if info on the internet about how to use it and patterns. Not as much as as is available for crochet but there are free patterns available as well as knitting with out needles groups similar to crochetville.

Ask at the michaels where you buy it about demonstrations. Many Michaels have "yarn events" for several hours on a Sunday where they show you how to use it. I have seen beautiful shawls made with the knifty knitters.

here is a link with a tutorial. It is how I learned to do the purl stitch and the flat stitch.

http://decoraccentsinc.com/knitting_loom_instructions.html

I say YES! When I had hand surgery and couldn't crochet or knit, I bought one (recommended by Eva O.) and I loved it! It kept me sane! I bought the set of round ones. They're in different colors, and comes with the little tool, too. You can work flat stuff, too. It's not hard at all. I made this sweater for my grandson. The stitches do look a little whopper-jawed, but not bad. Also, it's an easy way to learn to knit. (I crocheted the eyes & tie later)

CalebnewSBsweater.jpg

That sweater is adorable!

I bought a whole set several months back. I made a few hats, but frankly it bores me to tears. I can crochet a hat faster, and it, to me, is more creative and rewarding to crochet.

There is a Yahoo group for Knifty Knitters, and many people just LOVE them. I'm just not one of them. I find it repetitive and tedious. The hats, however, are really nice!

I love these things! I've made a ton of baby hats on my blue one. They work up in next to no time at all, and look great. 10 bucks is a really good price, I paid a $25 for my set.

I love my set too! I am using it for my 25 items for charity. Hats work up in an evening and are super warm. I made a scarf on it also but will probably stick with crochet for the scarves. I think they are a good investment. I paid 30 to have a wooden one made for me and I bought the KK set.....

• 6 months later...

Ok, this thread is totally old, but I have to learn how to use the Knifty Knitter so that I can demonstrate its use this weekend at work (all Jo-Ann superstores are -supposed- to demo this item on 8/12 from 1 - 4 pm), and I'm having fun!

They leave out a few things in the directions that confuse me (like what to do with the first bit of yarn you wrap on the end peg after you get started... because it's not in any of the other photos!), but otherwise my first little baby hat (in berry blue and sage Caron SS worked together) is coming out pretty good! I even did a brim. I feel so speshul. :cheer

There doesn't seem to be a tip & trick page I have found yet that is more helpful than the documentation I already have (the paperwork that came with the set, and 99-cent Knifty Knitter booklet -- I'm using the latter). I also can't seem to find a wide variety of patterns out there (only Provocraft's own site), but all I really need is a basic hat and a basic scarf for now... I may use this to make a hat for hubby, because frankly, I suck at crocheting hats. LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to share. Heh.

There's a thread over in the "Off Topic" Section about projects done with round knitting looms. You may try searching for patterns for those. I know I have links on some computer somewhere for patterns. There's also several Yahoo groups.

I really love mine. :)

I have the old Lion Brand "Yarn-a-round" and love to make afghans with it. So easy and fast. It took me *years* to crochet one. And flat pieces aren't any harder than the round ones. :)

I also find the book that comes with the Lion Brand one to be far more helpful. I believe it's for sale separately somewhere online.

The starting yarn you leave on the peg for a few rounds and then take it off after you've got a few rows done. Then you can weave it in at the end.

Here's a great place for info:

http://decoraccentsinc.com/looming_instructions.html

I have learned more from this site than any other, and have purchased several looms from there as well.

Have fun with your demo!:)

Ok, this thread is totally old, but I have to learn how to use the Knifty Knitter so that I can demonstrate its use this weekend at work (all Jo-Ann superstores are -supposed- to demo this item on 8/12 from 1 - 4 pm), and I'm having fun!

They leave out a few things in the directions that confuse me (like what to do with the first bit of yarn you wrap on the end peg after you get started... because it's not in any of the other photos!), but otherwise my first little baby hat (in berry blue and sage Caron SS worked together) is coming out pretty good! I even did a brim. I feel so speshul. :cheer

There doesn't seem to be a tip & trick page I have found yet that is more helpful than the documentation I already have (the paperwork that came with the set, and 99-cent Knifty Knitter booklet -- I'm using the latter). I also can't seem to find a wide variety of patterns out there (only Provocraft's own site), but all I really need is a basic hat and a basic scarf for now... I may use this to make a hat for hubby, because frankly, I suck at crocheting hats. LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to share. Heh.

Thanks! I don't do Yahoo Groups (long story), but I'll check out some of the other resources mentioned. :D

The hat came out totally adorable... and didn't take long at all!

After that, I got started on a scarf with the rake loom, doing a rib stitch, and it feels like it's taking forever! LOL! I got a bunch of it done (2 feet long, maybe?), and am going to take it in to work in that state, so I can demo something "in progress" on it.

Today I'm going to play with some chenille on one of the round looms to make a child's hat, and see how that works out... I already decided I am going to buy a full set of the round looms... got a 40% coupon that starts Saturday... :D

I also have a peach-colored round loom that was sent to the store, and I might try out a hat on that, too, to see how it would work for Preemie hats... it might actually be -too- small... we'll see.

I just bought that little loom. But I'm not sure what to do with it yet. (I too was thinking premie hats, among other things)

And Decor Accents was a place I ordered my little fine gauge sock loom from. I really like it, but I'm having "second sock syndrome".

Good luck with your demos. :)

• 5 months later...

For quick hats these looms are great! I've made tons of hats, even a bunch out of ugly yarns that I wouldn't put in a blanket, but as hats that I'm donating to Project Dulaan, they're perfect. I tend to use two strands of red heart regular weigh yarn for most hats, or a strand of fuzzy yarn with a strand of red heart. There are a bunch of patterns out there and video tutorials of the stitches, making a flat panel, etc. I just bought the long loom on sale at hobby lobby last week and have yet to use it, but I'm hoping to make panels for a blanket. The provocraft website has the best patterns for free that I've found so far.

I saw a Singer knitting machine at Hobby Lobby, gave in cause I had a 40% off coupon. I was able to make scarves, hats and fingerless gloves with it, the kids love cranking it although they end up losing stitches since they forget which way to crank :lol

Have yet to try the staight loom. I'm too instant gratification motivated. I do have a knitting machine to take care of that, but it's a hassle taking it out and assembling it and then putting it back in the box after I'm done. I need my own craft room! :rofl

I started buying them at Joann's...I only bought a few using my 40% coupon. I figure I'll build up my collection of looms and books with the coupons...then...SOMEDAY...I will get around to making something with them.

I bought a set of the round ones and a rectangular loom over a year ago and still haven't found time to try them out. Been busy with other projects...knitted and crocheted. Seems that needles are much more versatile. I think they've found away for knitting to use as much or more yarn as crochet does since you need to use heavier yarn or double strands of ww yarn on the looms.

Beverly

I own several sizes. I started using them to make little caps for the Caps for the Capital Campaign. The hats came out so cute, and you can do a lot by combining different yarns. I find the best results are to either double the yarn, or double the stitches. Makes for a very nice fabric. One strand of yarn (for a hat, anyway) seems too flimsy. I have not had luck with a neck scarf pattern (like a turtle neck) on the Lion Brand site. It was very ill-fitting when finished, but I may have done something wrong. Once I figure out how to post pics, I'll put up some of my caps.

Archived