knifty knitter

falfal115

I got one of these for my birthday um.. last August, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a funny coincidence because this weekend I'm finally going to learn how from my aunt's friend. I don't think I would have bought it myself, since I crochet most often on the bus, and it's not exactly portable! I'll let you know how it goes...

I have just bought the Kniffty Knitter.. having a little trouble myself...hoping to get the concept down as well..wanted to do something different than crochet and teach the girls too..love the sweater by the way..sponge bob is so cute..my girls would love it..:cheer

I love using the round ones for hats... but I find I can crochet flat panels MUCH faster than I can knifty-knit them. LOL!

I do like the way the panels come out on the long looms, though.

So I promised to write back once I tried this thingie out, I really like it! It was a bit tricky at first, but I had my aunt's friend show me the basics. I think it's fun, and actually surprisingly portable. (Used it on the bus today.) I'm thinking about getting a nail file, and sanding down some of the seam edges on the plastic, because they snag the yarn, which is annoying. I made a headband with it, and it's pretty fun, and brainless. (Which is nice after doing a wicked complicated lace sweater, argh.) The product is nice, and I think you can get some mild variety of stitches, though the "needle size" will never change. (Can't do tiny stitches.) Overall, I think it's worth a shot...

I've only done scarves with mine,, To lazy to try and learn anything else.

The first time I ever saw this the wonderful lady invited me to her house and showed me how to use it,,,,showed me how to tighten up the loose stitches

that happen when starting this out...

so after a year of my sil whining for me to teach her how to do that,she finally showed up to learn and here's her handiwork!!

th_100_0928.jpg

it clicks

She was so proud,, She went and got yarn for two more..

Next time fringe I say!!:lol

It works better with the thicker yarns,though I think.

I've got a set of rounds and a straight. I've not made a lot on it but did use to make "sleepingbags" for my children's dolls. It was faster and didn't use as much yarn as if I crocheted it. Also used the straight to make a "pillow" to attach to one of the sleeping bag - and made the doll a hat:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tiggerhale/album/576460762389399864

I'm thinking about getting a nail file, and sanding down some of the seam edges on the plastic, because they snag the yarn, which is annoying.

Yep, I've done that! :D

if you want a Knifty Knitter I suggest getting a Knifty Knitter Spool Loom. It is GREAT for making purse handles, belts, little accessorie scarves and who knows what else.

I just bought a Knifty Knitter this evening and the Spool Loom. The Spool Loom is and was ALOT easier to use than the Knifty Knitter. I paid $3.97 for the Spool Loom and I think it is WELL worth the price.

Heres a link so you know what I'm talking about. This is the EXACT one that I have and it comes with the hook as well as a yarn needle. I'm going to use it to make a purse handle for a WIP I got going.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I picked one up at WalMart a couple years ago and I've loved it ever since. Like nss, I've only ever used mine for scarves, but the kit comes with patterns for hats, blankets, and other gifts (all on DVD). As someone said, it won't teach you to knit...it will teach you to use the Knifty Knitter so don't fool yourself into thinking this is a shortcut to learning to knit. It's like learning tablature for guitar rather than learning to read sheet music. Nice Knifty Knitter Review where you can weigh in with your own opinions.

One thing to note...I've seen people create really neat items with their Knifty Knitter. I haven't tried these yet, but have you seen the Octopi? Do a Google search for it. It's pretty fantastic and hard to believe it came form the KK.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate mine. I bought the whole set from QVC about 5 years ago and was excited to make some stuff. EVERYTHING came out loose! The first hat I made on it was done with 2 strands of WW yarn held together and came out so "hole-y" that you may as well not even bother wearing a hat. I marked it up to me just learning and tried again....same result. I tried scarves and some other small items as well, nothing was right. I took it to Ben Franklin to see if anyone there could help me and found 2 employees who have them and had the same problem. So IMO it's a waste of time, money, effort and yarn.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived