Thread crochet round tablecloth (from 1990s)

Crochet4me

Completing this is what made me put down the hook for almost 10 years! :eek This took well over a year to complete using I think (looking through my stash) a #6 steel hook (1.60 mm) and #20 thread. It was from a kit that I got through mail order ~1993 or so. The completed size if somewhat stretched out, is about 5ft diameter (for the standard 60" round tablecloth). :eek:hook I'm not sure what I did with the pattern sheet but it may be folded up somewhere.

Since I don't have a round table anymore, I fashioned something to drape it on with a dark background (blanket):

crochet-tablecloth.jpg

This a closeup of the center detail (the whole thing needs to be cleaned as it got stained while packed away after I moved):

crochet-tablecloth-top.jpg

This is some more detail from the center-of-table portion:

crochet-tablecloth-detail.jpg

This is the pineapple edging around the bottom:

crochet-tablecloth-detail1.jpg

The very last thing I crocheted (before starting up again this past October) was about 9 years ago - a "test" doily with #10 thread and the same #6 hook (never got chance to starch and block it):

test-doily.jpg

I have 3 large spools of #10 cotton that I had visions of using to make a couple placemats one day, but I'm not sure if I want to go back to doing this sort of thing - at least right now. LOL :whew What's wild is that I hadn't crocheted in the almost 10 years before I had started that tablecloth. I ended up taking a break after I got out of college having finally finished up a "labor of love" granny square afghan that had been added to as I got odds and ends of yarn during the previous 10 years (from early '70s to early '80s). And then when I finally jumped back into crocheting again, what did I do? I had to pick one of the most detailed and intricate types to try - just for the thrill of it. :eek I must have been out of my friggin' mind! :loco But I do like how it turned out. :hook

So cheers to all of you here who do thread crochet of any kind, 'cause it ain't easy but the results are amazing! :yay

I agree with Debi......that's awesome! I stopped crochetingfor almost 30 years because I didn't feel like picking up a hook after my high school teacher made us crochet a bed cover as a school project. I started crocheting again early 2004 and have never stopped since then. lol!

Thanks for the compliments! :hook Here's another pic of it where you can see the whole thing a bit better (again - the poor thing has that stain that needs to be cleaned!):

crochet-tablecloth1.jpg

The one thing about quitting for awhile is that since the last time I crocheted, the internet didn't have all these graphical discussion forums (it was generally text-based until ~1995 when the web hit). Now people can come to places like this to discuss crocheting and learn all new tricks (and get pictures of how to do something or what the project will realistically look like when completed)! Plus you get all the encouragement from fellow hobbyists! I love it! :clap

That is so nice ! I'm so impressed. I've started a table cloth, once... And now, well, it's a coaster that I put my cup of tea on in the mornings..... not only is the tablecloths so pretty, but you manged to stick with it, even if it took a while.

crochetme :nworthy WoW!!! I'm impressed, it is positively beautiful. I've often thought about tableclothes or bedspeads in thread crochet, but the idea of that makes me :faint if I think on it too hard. You did an awesome job!

Thanks again all! :D Every time I look at it, I cringe at even attempting something like that again, although I had alot of fun doing it at the time. I think what prompted me to go for it was being in my church choir at the time and many of the other ladies brought their crocheting and knitting to choir practice. I would watch as they worked on their projects before practice started and during brief practice downtimes, etc. I suppose having others around you doing their own masterpieces helps spur you on and I think forums like this serve in the same capacity!! :manyheart

That's gorgeous. And I'm impressed that you finished in a year. I've been working on a large oval thread tablecloth for the past 2, maybe 3, years. I work on it for a while and then put it down to do something else. It has become the project that will never end.

That is awesome. I dont think I would ever be able finish something that big. I can only imagine the time you put into it. I admire you. Even if it took you 10 years to finish. I would of packed it up and never looked back. lol..:blush

Wow ! I must say its really beautiful. I love the intricate details ...and I can imagine what a killer this would've been. You did an awesome job on it.I really admire you for sticking to it and finishing it off ..even if it did take some time.You've got guts. I still have a centre piece WIP for the last 4 years and it isnt anywhere as big or detailed as this one. Hats off to you.

Yasmin.

Archived