I felted something! A bag!

Cuddlefish

It's the first thing I've ever felted. It's a little wobbly and will need some stretching, but I like it. :)

taske9ol.jpg

I found some really cute buttons. Here's the one in the inside pocket.

lomme7bd.jpg

I didn't use a pattern. It's all sc's, first a band of the width you want for the bottom, then just straight up. The pattern in the flap is just some ch's, very simple.

The best part is, that this is some wool that I got from my grandmum, and it has been lying around for ages. It used to be an unfinished knitted sweater! :D

Thanks for all the nice comments. :hug

The yarn was some quite old but barely spun wool. Very loose fibers that could be pulled apart just by looking at them. I used three at a time. I just washed it once at 40 degrees Celsius with some other white stuff. It felted right away. I caught myself several times sitting in front of the machine looking through the glass as if it were a TV, trying to catch a glimpse of how it was doing. :lol

The straps are only attached by the buttons, I made the holes quite small. It may not be enough, but I haven't carried the bag with anything heavy in it, it's still drying. If they give too much, I'll make the button holes smaller or cheat and sew them on as invisibly as possible.

Now I think I'll go up into my mum's stash and see if I can find some other old wool to make a purse with. :D:manyheart

Very cool bag... nice job.

I found some really cute buttons. Here's the one in the inside pocket.

Inside pocket?? You made an inside pocket? Now I'm really impressed :) How did you do that? I've always wondered about putting pockets into the felted bags... never sure if it were possible.

Joan (a 'felt wannabe')

Thanks. :D

I just crocheted a squarish peace and felted it with the rest of it. Then I attached it afterwards. :)

Thanks... I will have to try that. Hmmm ... what would happen if it were attached before felting? Would it get felted shut, do you think?

Joan

He, it's possible. I didn't do it because I didn't crochet the pocket as tightly as the bag, so it might have shrunk differently than the bag. Also I sewed it on with sewing thread, and that might have made the stitches more loose if felted afterwards.

Archived