Filet Crochet Afghan

badrhinogillett

what a fabulous idea!

did you get the pattern from somewhere? or did you make the pattern yourself?

if you did make the pattern yourself, can you tell us how you put the pattern together? graphs? drawing stuff out... did you wing it?

thanks!

I'm not nearly talented enough to figure out a pattern myself. There was a site, that I can't find anymore: www.filetcrochet.com. And she sold graph patterns. I bought the graph a few years ago, and just got around to making it a couple of months ago.

I've found a website: www.crochetdesigns.com where she sells a computer program to create your own graphs. However, I have to figure out if I'm computer savy enough to do that too! I'd like to try it, because I really enjoy the end result. It's a rather easy kind of afghan, but it looks like it was difficult.

I've done one other filet afghan from a pattern of cherubs, I actually won first prize at the fair with it. I ended up using it to bring my daughter home from the hospital when she was born.

If you can draw, (which I can't -- even my stick people don't look believeable) then you could create your own graphs. Each solid square on a graph is equal to 4 double crochets, with the last DC also being the first DC of the next square. Each open square is equal to: dc, 2 sc, dc.

I was originally going to boarder it to try to make it longer, but it's already fairly wide, and I was afraid that in order to make it long enough, it would end up being too wide. Then I thought of just adding rows to the top and bottom, but was afraid since there was no boarder on the side it would look silly.

Problem is, there was no dimensions given in the pattern, and either it was smaller than I realized, or (more likely) I crochet very tightly, and it ended up too small.

Very pretty! I'm sure your dad will love it! I agree about the edging - a row of plain crochet around it will help keep its shape.

Lynn

wow! It's both beautiful and funny - I really like it :) And it has given me some ideas...

You know, you are the first person who ever explained stitching graphs in a logical way to me! I get it now... I'm good at drawing, just never knew how to stitch it!

And wonderful work + great color! Your Dad is a very lucky father :clap

Archived