Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

They look good, Mona.  The two pairs I made previously were just done on the fly.  I like them to cover the top of my thumb and there were surprisingly few patterns like that out there last year. Yesterday I found this one though:

https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/basic-crochet-fingerless-mittens/ 

Edited by Gardener

Hi peeps!

18 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I made a few adjustments to the number of rows before and after the thumb hole.

20201103_155007.jpg

Very nice! Looks like you added a couple of rows to the top? I saved that link to to the pattern - thanks for sharing it!

18 hours ago, Gardener said:

They look good, Mona.  The two pairs I made previously were just done on the fly.  I like them to cover the top of my thumb and there were surprisingly few patterns like that out there last year. Yesterday I found this one though:

https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/basic-crochet-fingerless-mittens/ 

That's another good pattern - different! I think I'll be making more fingerless mitts...lol!

7 hours ago, judianne said:

Hi peeps!

Very nice! Looks like you added a couple of rows to the top? I saved that link to to the pattern - thanks for sharing it!

That's another good pattern - different! I think I'll be making more fingerless mitts...lol!

Two fewer rounds on the wrist and two additional on the fingers was what DH requested when he tried on the first one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Two fewer rounds on the wrist and two additional on the fingers was what DH requested when he tried on the first one.

I'm sure he appreciates your talent💕

Sis's surgery Wed afternoon went well.  There were multiple scenarios and they were able to follow thru with plan A.  Things are progressing well post op and thinking she might get out Mon. Its weird not getting to go see her but she felt well enough she called me this morning. Looks like she got it done just in time as hospitals on other side of state are cancelling elective surgeries due to number of covid patients and its just about to that point here.  Trying to catch up things since I cant go to the hospital. 

Its been a nice week weatherwise.  Lots of sun and warmth.  Dh carried our bonsai out to catch some rays and we turned the ac back on.  Think we are going to go to sis's house tomorrow to clean up leaves.  Its supposed to be rainy and cold next week

Almost finished with a prayer shawl.

• Like 1

So glad the surgery went well and hope she's home now. We, too, have had a week of nice weather after a frost. I didn't get a couple of plants in that I should have, but they were several years old and didn't bloom this last year, so it is what it is. LOL

I'm looking out the window and the gingko tree has suddenly turned yellow. Pretty! I got a few weeds pulled out of the garden yesterday. The zinnias are still blooming.

I got another pair of gloves made for DH so hopefully he can find a pair when they're needed. It may take 3 or 4 pairs to do that. It seems like I spent a lot of time looking for stuff.

After a terrifically busy week last week, I hope this one will be a little better. Grands for a while this afternoon, PT Monday and Thursday, chemo Tuesday. I have lots of sorting and putting away of stuff before Thanksgiving--have to get started on it or it just won't get done by then. Also want to get some cookies baked and in the freezer for Christmas.

I asked in another thread but will repeat it hear. Do you draw the features on dolls/animals before you sew them? If so, what do you use to draw them? I didn't have any luck with regular chalk or a sewing marking pencil. Neither showed up on the yarn.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Mona she got to come home yesterday!  Dh and I were at her house raking and mowing leaves when niece brought her home.  I havent made many things requiring faces so not much help.  I just try to find the right position and eyeball the shape.   I hate embroidering features on crochet because of the difficulty of getting them to work out right over crochet stitches---needle wants to go in spaces between stitches and doesnt give shape wanted.  Dont know if I would be better off using a ply or two of the yarn and a smaller needle so embroidery stitch could maybe be worked thru the correct point.  I understand why people use the safety eyes, make felt eyes, or use fabric paint.  

Well Mr. Magoo has done it again.  He picked up his new glasses on Tues, two pair,  computer glasses and his regular ones.  Yesterday he says look at my glasses are they turning dark in the sun?  Not much sun by then and I was tired and covered in leaf dust.  Yep checked his "computer" glasses this morning and they turned dark.  So then he thinks they messed up either treating the wrong set of lenses or swapped lenses to wrong frames.  When I got a good look at the frames ---nope I remember the more silver slightly thicker sturdier looking frames were his everyday glasses and frames for computer glasses were darker and thinner.  So he has been running around since Tues with computer glasses.  We bought the computer glasses so he could see his dulcimer music.  So now he says oh I noticed I could see it with my regular glasses better.  I have been specifically asking him about seeing his music better but not getting near as enthusiastic response as I expected.   

Edited by bgs

3 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Brenda, thanks for the laugh! Men are sure goofy sometimes--they need a keeper.

If I don't like the eyes I ordered, I'll have to give embroidering it again.

Mona anymore if the eyes on what I am working on are larger than a French knot I crochet black circles then attach them.  Larger eyes I use yarn and if a circle in sc is too large then I use #10 crochet thread.

https://www.graceandyarn.com/2018/03/crochet-eyes-tutorial-alternative-to.html?m=1

This one suggests using a childs washable marker to draw on face.

https://boymomcrochetlife.com/crochet-eyes-for-amigurumi/

Edited by bgs

11 hours ago, bgs said:

Mona anymore if the eyes on what I am working on are larger than a French knot I crochet black circles then attach them.  Larger eyes I use yarn and if a circle in sc is too large then I use #10 crochet thread.

https://www.graceandyarn.com/2018/03/crochet-eyes-tutorial-alternative-to.html?m=1

This one suggests using a childs washable marker to draw on face.

https://boymomcrochetlife.com/crochet-eyes-for-amigurumi/

Thanks for the links! I just glanced thru and bookmarked them. Looks like some good ideas.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

So glad the surgery went well and hope she's home now. We, too, have had a week of nice weather after a frost. I didn't get a couple of plants in that I should have, but they were several years old and didn't bloom this last year, so it is what it is. LOL

I'm looking out the window and the gingko tree has suddenly turned yellow. Pretty! I got a few weeds pulled out of the garden yesterday. The zinnias are still blooming.

I got another pair of gloves made for DH so hopefully he can find a pair when they're needed. It may take 3 or 4 pairs to do that. It seems like I spent a lot of time looking for stuff.

After a terrifically busy week last week, I hope this one will be a little better. Grands for a while this afternoon, PT Monday and Thursday, chemo Tuesday. I have lots of sorting and putting away of stuff before Thanksgiving--have to get started on it or it just won't get done by then. Also want to get some cookies baked and in the freezer for Christmas.

I asked in another thread but will repeat it hear. Do you draw the features on dolls/animals before you sew them? If so, what do you use to draw them? I didn't have any luck with regular chalk or a sewing marking pencil. Neither showed up on the yarn.

I embroider faces freehand - haven't done too many and usually have to redo parts of it,  but occasionally I get lucky and get it right the first time...lol!

Hope everyone has a good week!

Tired of 75 degrees and humid...we have a front coming through today and we'll be getting more seasonable temps.

Edited by judianne

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like week after week just keeps on being so busy. DH had his last in home PT today. They just won't approve the in home for very long, but he's using the walker some and his leg muscles are slowly getting stronger. We had dermatologist apts yesterday and his wound clinic one tomorrow. I thought today would be a little catch up and a little relaxing, but DS and family dropped in for a couple of hours this afternoon, so the dishwasher hasn't been unloaded and reloaded and no clothes washed either. Oh, well, it'll still be there tomorrow or Saturday, whenever I get around to it.

I ended up with a sinus infection this week, but after two shots and starting on antibiotics, it's getting a little better. Just another thing to sap my energy. Looking forward to a quiet, I hope, weekend. Have to get the DR table cleaned off, but hopefully some down time too. It'll just be us and DS's family for Thanksgiving. The older DS has to work this year.

Hope everyone is well and has a good weekend!

• Like 1

Good morning.or rather afternoon.  It’s just after noon here.  We had a terrific week in the Smokies. We had no problems avoiding crowded areas and we mostly ate at our rental.  We only found a handful of restaurants that took reservations (we didn’t think it was safe to wait in a two hour long line for a table, so we made reservations), and had mask requirements and practiced social distancing.  It was nice and sunny in Tennessee, but it looks like our usual gloomy winter weather has arrived here.  It’s not snowing or raining, so there’s that.

This morning I finished a purse our 2nd youngest granddaughter. She’s only 2 but she thinks she about 25 so this is just the sort of thing she will like.  I might buy a tiny doll or a tiny coin purse to put inside it just for a little surprise touch.  Now I need to buckle down and make a stocking for our youngest granddaughter.  All the grands have “grandma made stockings, except Julia.  

2D046811-F0E4-46A8-A647-25FCBFFDF54C.jpeg

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Cindy your trip to the Smokies sounds lovely.  Cute purse.  Yes grandma must get that stocking done----at least before grandchild figures out she is only one that does not have one made by grandma.

Mona you sound busy with all sorts of things as usual.

I woke up about a week ago with a painful knee so have been hobbling around as best I can.  It gets better and then I move it just right and hurt it again.

The Village made all the local news outlets last week as highest covid outbreak in eastern part of county but its a reflection of whats going on in the county.  156 residents and employees and 30 deaths most all at care center.  Scary and sad.

I cooked Thanksgiving stuff for dh yesterday. He keeps hinting for pumpkin pie but the refrigerator here is not as big and configured as well as mine was at old place.  Because it sits in corner you cant open door wide enough to take the shelves and drawers out (without moving it from wall and pivoting it a bit).  Between door not opening far enough and the shelves inside door I have about 12 inches so I have to stand sideways and stretch to reach things in back.  My boobs are always hitting the lock button on freezer ice water dispenser on freezer side.  We will order curbside from Village restaurant on Thurs.

• Like 1

Cindy, that sounds like a great trip! She'll love the purse, I'm sure. You have reminded me that I haven't made a stocking for Jay, but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

Brenda, very funny mental picture of your refrigerator dance. That was a lot of cooking! The new cases are really scary. We didn't invite anyone extra for lunch like we normally would have.

DH rounded up help to fry turkeys again this year. Seven Wednesday and then ours Thursday. I'm making dressing, and green pea casserole. I've used a jarred gravy for several years that everyone seems to like and frozen rolls. Bought a frozen chocolate cream pie and a ham. DIL is bringing real cranberry sauce and deviled eggs. That's certainly enough for 4 adults and 4 little kids.

I haven't gotten completely rid of the sinus gunk yet but it's a lot better. For some reason the cough is back today after being off the cough meds yesterday. Went to the dentist this morning to have my new crown put on finally. It didn't fit, he had to numb my mouth because it was sensitive with the putting on and off. The old temporary crown was put back on with instructions to not chew on that side. There were no issues with it before, but it's sensitive to cold now.

DIL suckered me into baby sitting Wed afternoon. I thought she had an apt but she's swimming with a friend. The day before Thanksgiving?! But she did redeem herself somewhat by arranging for someone we know to come Saturday and cut my hair.

Ok, time to get off the computer and figure out what HAS to be done this afternoon. I'm becoming an expert at putting things off. LOL

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:13 PM, Gardener said:

Good morning.or rather afternoon.  It’s just after noon here.  We had a terrific week in the Smokies. We had no problems avoiding crowded areas and we mostly ate at our rental.  We only found a handful of restaurants that took reservations (we didn’t think it was safe to wait in a two hour long line for a table, so we made reservations), and had mask requirements and practiced social distancing.  It was nice and sunny in Tennessee, but it looks like our usual gloomy winter weather has arrived here.  It’s not snowing or raining, so there’s that.

This morning I finished a purse our 2nd youngest granddaughter. She’s only 2 but she thinks she about 25 so this is just the sort of thing she will like.  I might buy a tiny doll or a tiny coin purse to put inside it just for a little surprise touch.  Now I need to buckle down and make a stocking for our youngest granddaughter.  All the grands have “grandma made stockings, except Julia.  

2D046811-F0E4-46A8-A647-25FCBFFDF54C.jpeg

That's so cute...You're a good grandma💕

Hi ladies. Just thought I’d check in.  It’s cold and gloomy here, and we are on semi lockdown again.  Even if we weren’t, we would stay home.  The Covid situation is really bad here. Our hospitals are packed full.  I’m glad I retired, because my former colleagues are having a rough time.  Looks like I will be doing my Christmas shopping online.

I made another purse for my 6 year old grand daughter this past weekend. Lining it was more work than crocheting it.  I’m now working on another pair of slippers so I can give a pair to each of my daughters. I had already made two pairs but one pair is made of really flimsy yarn, it’s nice yarn, but it seems like it would wear poorly. There are some things that you just need to make with cheap Red Heart or Bernat yarn!  

Hope you are all doing well.

Cindy its bad here too.  They are wanting hospitals to contact retired drs and nurses to ask them to go back to work.  Hospitals are having to refuse rural hospital patient transfers.  They had to use a mobile morgue for a weekend in the southern part of the state.  

I got a batch of cookies baked yesterday to go in the freezer for Christmas. I really don't want to think about putting up the tree but I do want to do it early enough to be worth the trouble. LOL

I had our first freeze last night. It was 25 this morning. Yesterday was busy with lots of little chores that didn't show at the end of the day. Hopefully today I can tackle a few that are noticeable. 

Hope y'all have a good week! Stay safe and well!

On 11/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. Just thought I’d check in.  It’s cold and gloomy here, and we are on semi lockdown again.  Even if we weren’t, we would stay home.  The Covid situation is really bad here. Our hospitals are packed full.  I’m glad I retired, because my former colleagues are having a rough time.  Looks like I will be doing my Christmas shopping online.

I made another purse for my 6 year old grand daughter this past weekend. Lining it was more work than crocheting it.  I’m now working on another pair of slippers so I can give a pair to each of my daughters. I had already made two pairs but one pair is made of really flimsy yarn, it’s nice yarn, but it seems like it would wear poorly. There are some things that you just need to make with cheap Red Heart or Bernat yarn!  I AGREE! And you're doing a lot - I think you like the quick projects 😉

Hope you are all doing well.

My friend who was ill in March...well now her married son is ill, his FIL has a high fever....both have Covid tests in the works. The son's wife, and RN, has been on maternity leave from ER for over 2 months now. They have the baby and a 3 yo...

I haven't seen my friend - even with a mask  - in months. They are too active and see many people, not just family. The son, in his late 30's, is a PT in a hospital - he got ill first, then his FIL - who he was installing a washer and dryer with last weekend! NO ONE WEARS MASKS! 

On 11/30/2020 at 6:58 PM, bgs said:

Cindy its bad here too.  They are wanting hospitals to contact retired drs and nurses to ask them to go back to work.  Hospitals are having to refuse rural hospital patient transfers.  They had to use a mobile morgue for a weekend in the southern part of the state.  

Her in the northeast there has also been a call out for retired nurses and doctors. In the Spring, when the situation wasn't as dire in the south, many nurses and doctors came up here to help. In NYC there are STILL mobile morgues where bodies haven't either bene claimed or buried!

On 12/1/2020 at 8:52 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

I got a batch of cookies baked yesterday to go in the freezer for Christmas. I really don't want to think about putting up the tree but I do want to do it early enough to be worth the trouble. LOL

I had our first freeze last night. It was 25 this morning. We had a real feel of 17 this AM. It's super blustery out there now too. Sunny, but winter temps. a great day for me to make our favorite Greek soup.Yesterday was busy with lots of little chores that didn't show at the end of the day. Hopefully today I can tackle a few that are noticeable. 

Hope y'all have a good week! Stay safe and well!

We just put up our tiny  tree and some things outside. Keeping it simple...plus I was having physical issues and didn't want to do too much. Feeling better now. Don't want to even think about seeing my son for a chiro treatment any time soon!

Stay well, my friends!

Edited by judianne