Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

Hello,

Yay! Mary Jo is back! I am so glad you are back and you and Tampa Guy are doing ok.

Brenda, those are very pretty squares.

I went to church this morning and then stopped at the grocery store, shelves are starting to look a little fuller. I also stopped at Joanns for some sewing supplies.  The piles of debris on the sides of the road seem to be getting bigger each day.  We got the official word, schools in my county will be in session tomorrow. I heard they are letting residents back into the lower keys now, it is going to take years for them to completely recover. 

I guess that's about it for me. Have a great day everyone.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what surprised me about the keys?  Hemmingway's house survived.  Can you believe that.  Now construction got leveled, but his house is ok.  Go figure.

I heard they were letting people in, but they still have a lot of clean up to do.

Our kids go back tomorrow also.  The county is suppose to come around tomorrow to collect the hurricane debris.  I only have 2 cans full, but some of my neighbors have besides cans, they have tree limbs also. 

We were in the grocery store yesterday.  Yeah they are slowly getting back, but ice was still scarce.  Plenty of water.

Well, I am back to working on my project, so all is well.  Crocheting and Football, how can it get any better than that?????? 

Glad all went well with you also.  Hope they get the rest of the state back on line.

Mary Jo I had been hoping you would at least get your power back in time for Sun football.  The shots we have seen of the Keys is just incredible-----mostly rubble and boats just everywhere.

We got some badly needed rain last night.  My left shoulder hurts today.  Surely that cant be from trying out recliners yesterday.  It really wore me out.  I cant believe how many were uncomfortable---immediately hurt my back or neck.  This place had what seemed like at least 300 to try.  Only 3 came any where close and I would still rather have my old broken down one as long as it is still useable.

Good Morning everyone.  Another exciting day in the land of Florida.

Today we clean out the fridge, as tomorrow is trash, so not sure how often I will get on.

Checking supplies and replenishing what we need.

Still sort of in a clean up mode.

Great games yesterday and boy did I need them.  It was like going thru withdraw when the Ville goes down.:rofl

Have a great day everyone

oh good to have you back mary jo!! sorry about the tree but good that is all huh considering some parts huh and good you had a pool too lol  some folks did not fare as well im sure glad you are ok lol

also it is going to  take  a while in the clean up  glad you are all doing fine  bgs i know took me a long time to find a desk chair at work and now i could use one here sems like  now im going  to have to do it  d

again years later for home   lol  

disc five guys of seven  i dint listen to any of the book yesterday but i will be done this week  any one wnna listen-read it next  i think its interesting for sure    

I think for the first time in a long time we are getting gentle rains----no torrential downpours, no wind hail or lightening.  We looked at another senior living place this morning and it scores very high on our list.   I only have to wait 8 months to meet the age requirements.  

Katy I didnt have to really shop for my old chair.  My neighbor had one and my folks got one so I knew exactly what I wanted back then.  The hardest thing was selecting the fabric.  I got an unexpected thank you note for the scarves I sent to PRR and a thank you email for the mini-stockings. I also signed up to do 2 female boxes for the elder Christmas thing except I am doing a reuseable shopping bag instead of a box like some others are doing because we think they will be easier to mail.  So far I have made each one a scarf.  I came across some new socks that I wont use so added a pair of those.  I also had a couple of Christmas stocking pins.  They say they really appreciate things like safety pins and Ziploc bags so will add some.

Carol hope you had a good day back to work and that your students and coworkers made it through ok.

Mary Jo hope the fridge isnt to yucky and stinky.  I was lucky the week our power was off that it was cold so all the food in the fridge and freezer got moved to the trunk of my car and the enclosed stairwell.   

Hello,

Our first day back was pretty easy, only half of my students were there and they were tired like me. Then to Walmart for a few things, shelves are slowly filling up again. I came home and cleaned out and rearranged the storage closet so I could get the bottle of water out of my sewing room, I kept tripping over them. I attempted to do some sewing but I was too tired, I cut out one scrub top and called it done, now to sit in front of the tv, maybe a little crocheting too.

That's about it here. Have a great evening.

good morning

we are getting remnants of Jose, the CBBT which is Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has level 1 wind restrictions

its been on and off light rain,they are sinking another tube of the CBBT,sad to say the gift shop on the Thimble Shoals side will be no more,so I guess people will have to plan their potty breaks accordingly,enjoy the day

We were getting rain and some wind yesterday from Hurricane Jose. Far as I know no damage. 

Today it's look pretty sunny out.

Mary Jo how is the cleaning process going? I lost two freezer full of food a few years ago when we had that Hurricane come through and we were out of power for an entire week and our neighbors across the street had electricity. That was crap. 

I hope everyone is doing great and stay safe.

hi all  nice idea for the shopping bag bgs   lol i have a couple of those  lol

hope the cleanup went well mary jo and too bad about the bridge lynda sheesh this weather lately huh  

listening to the last cd of the listening book almost done with it now  if no one wants it next ill donate it so let me know ok  handy found three reading cds from grisham three and about the only three i havent actually  read so that was a lucky  find!!  i read bout 6 chapters of the cd i have in now Sycamore Row and so am starting over from the first to refreh lol  Tried to 

get my discman to play but needs new batteries lol maybe tomorrow so am playing it on the lap top   an hour or so at a time 17 cds!!  sheesh  if like the others of his i wont be able to stop listening!! his books are riveting  

well i am at a stopping point here time to get somethings done so more later owlvamp good to see you!!   

Hello Ladies,

Not much happening here. Work and a dentist appointment and now some laundry and dinner. I am still tired, my body needs to get adjusted to being back to work.

Have a good evening.

good morning

Owlvamp I use acrylic paints,sharpie markers and then mod podge to seal it

it amazes me,all the different levels of skill,from can't paint a straight stick type ( thats me,lol )  to real works of art on a rock

have a great day

Good Morning.  I hope anyone who is getting hit with the remnants of Jose are doing ok.  When you just get to where you think everyone is ok here comes Marie.

I do hope any friends from Porta Ricco is ok they got hit again this morning.  Everyone here is hoping she turns and goes out to sea.

Did some grocery shopping yesterday and was able to finally make a decent meal for dinner.

Today is relax a little then back to finishing up putting things where they belong.  

I finished my Pilgrim dolls, but I have to stop to make the next tote.  I want to make the turkey with the pattern.  After all that is why I bought the kit.

Have a fun day everyone. 

Hello.

I've heard about the rock painting and hiding but I haven't participated in it.

Mary Jo, have they restocked the shelves completely, our stores are still trying to get caught up. Maria is suppose to turn north but what she does after that will depend on what Jose does since he is still hanging around, at least that's what the weather man said this morning but we all know those storms have a mind of their own. I know the islands have been hit hard, I'm praying for everyone there.

We have the day off from school tomorrow, it's Rosh Hashana. My daughter has to work so I get to spend the day playing with my granddaughter.

Guess that's about it for my corner of the world. Have a great evening.

hello

with all earh quakes floods hurricanes and all the rest sounds like our old world as  we may have come to know it is really  trying  to tell us something huh  

couple that with the political fire -storms of late  and it  might resemble to some the proverbial and much celebrated albeit   imminent end of times  if ever we need help it would be now  

i have read of rock painting but have no interest in it but hope you have fun doing it  might be something my daughter might be interested in though     so do people collct the rocks to paint first or i dunno llol  i guess they would have to  huh lol  have fun   

on the second disc now of Sycamore Row  the book i started months ago and never got too far in chapter 6 iI think but started from the beginning on the cd to refresh lol  i am doing about a disc a day but this one  has 17 cds to it so  mifgt take me a while  lol  

Weed pollen has been high the last few  days and im wondering if harvys or irmas  winds carried it up this far as the wind in the last few days has been quite gusty    so been using my musinex for nasal congestion today that stuff is amazing and really fast acting for me at least and beleive me i think i have tried them all at one time or another

hope all people in the islands dont get too hard hit  all for now stay safe   :manyheart    

l

The rock thing sounds neat.  I havent heard about painting rocks to leave for others to find.   Years ago I bought some little painted rocks.  Once I visited a place called Calico Rock and the visitor center gave us a little rock painted like calico fabric.  

It was on the hot side today.  Between the temp and humidity the feels like was 101.  

Katy my allergies have been so bad I have had to step up to flonase and still having to use mucinex.  

One of the bonsai masters we have brought in the last couple of years is from/ lives in Puerto Rico and we are hoping he and his family are all right.  Two mlb team mascots (one being KC's Slugger) were in Mexico for the earthquake but they are ok.

Good Morning,

I guess Irma caused sinus problems for all of us. I've tried Mucinex but it didn't help, I prefer Advil Sinus and using lemon, peppermint and lavender oils in my diffuser.

The pictures from the islands don't look good and the pictures from Mexico look even worse, it's heartbreaking. We really need to keep praying.

I spent the night at my daughter's house to take of the baby today but my daughter got a "push back" call this morning so she is still home. They can still call her into the hospital until 1 pm so I'll hang around until then. I forgot we are doing an autism fundraiser walk this Saturday until we went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get t-shirts and iron on transfer paper for the printer, my daughter is printing t-shirts for us. So I picked up some puzzle print fabric and I'm going to make my granddaughter a skort to match her shirt for the walk. Looks like my day off is going to be busy.

My daughter decided to go get Starbucks for us this morning. I drink decaf coffee because caffeine and I don't always play well together. As she walked back into the house she realized that my coffee was not decaf, I'm drinking it anyways so it might be an interesting and very energetic day :jumpyay

I hope all of you have a wonderful day.

Good Morning.  I think I have everything back in place.

No, the last time I was in the store, Wednesday, a lot of the shelves were empty.  Peanut Butter, Soup, water, TP and Paper Towels.  I passed a woman in the store who had a cart full of meat.  So people must be over buying, to replace what they lost.  The water was moved back to it's aisle.  Hopefully when I go back tomorrow, they will have them all full.

I am still moving things around in the fridge till I am comfortable with where they are, as the new one is much different than the old one.  (26 yrs).  I can hear an echo when I put my head in the freezer part :rofl

I am back to crocheting, so I am going to my corner and work on the new tote.

Have a fun day.

well another day huh  handy is out busy filling cracks on someones windows so i listened to moer book  im on i think disc five now and its hard to put down or should i say turn off like i knew it would be i guess i just dont get the rock thing i mean the point of it you know  much like yarn bombing i dont gett hat either i value my yarn too much to waste it i guess lo but that is just me    

a new fridge huh cool  mine is only a few years old and working great but always wanted a side by side which mine is not lol  dont even know if they make them anymore lol  and i dont like the stainless steel look reminds me of a school or hospital lol  my fridge is almond as is my stove and hood i dont have a dishwasher anymore  as i didnt have   room in this house so we sold it and truly i dont miss it but it was almond too i i think dishes and things are more steryl done in a dishwasher for sure but it took me less time energy and water to just do them by hand  theres only two of us haha I do   have a stainless steel double sink and my small appliances such as a  coffee maker can opener and toaster are black .my microwave is almond i dont have the need for a stand mixer but do use the food processer often  Hec i hardly use a can opener anymore as all maxie,s food is in pop tops (fancy feast is all he likes) but in the event of wanting canned vegies or goods  i will hang onto the can opener lonl you know what they say right  one spends the first part of ones life aquiring things and the later part getting rid of things lol  

a new washer dryer is on my list though and is being saved for lol but both still work fine  i want that soaker tub out and an open spacious  shower refurb more right now lol but the washer/dryer is on the list lol  and i dont much nor could  afford a step in tub and dont trust that much anyway im thinking leaks and or maintenance you know and for that same reason i would not get a front loading washer for sure or a skylight or sunroof for that matter    i know they are nice but im old school i guess lol

i guess i have learned from handys customers the things that are high maintenance and prone to cause problems and or require  repairs and they are not cheap fixes  live and learn huh

well with all that said i guess im just set in my ways a bit lol but we all have our preferences right lol  

well all for right now ill come back in after getting some chores started at least lol  have a grand day today all  :manyheart     

Yesterday I got the steamvac out and ran it over the carpet in the living room moving around as much furniture as I could.  I ran it with just water no shampoo added as I have no idea what will set off TC's allergies/asthma.  Did some dusting when moving things around and that bothered my allergies so by night time my back ached and I was stopped up.  It was time for my flonase, double strength mucinex, and a couple of ibuprofen and my chair. Today seems like I am busy in the kitchen---baking dh's chocolate chip bagels he takes in his lunch, corn bread,  climbing okra battered in cornmeal.  Made some cinnaberry crunch dip to go with scooby snacks and sliced cheese to take for our bonsai master event tomorrow.  Still need to make our lunches for tomorrow.  I have laundered the batch of baby afghans that I finally finished last night and they are in the dryer.  Maybe I will get a chance to take a picture.  They are pretty plain----just a solid pastel edged in white in the blanket stitch.  

Mary Jo seems like when we finally got a new refrigerator what struck me the most was that it seemed like I had to bend over lower to reach stuff in the bottom.  Sounds like you timed it right so that you could pretty well start out with all new stuff and new refrigerator after all those days with  no power.  

Carol sounds like you all are gradually making it back to normal.  Bet everyone is just exhausted from all the stress and clean up.  

Katy its another  hot one here today.  Now I have always lusted for a set of stainless steel appliances.  We generally get what we find in the best deal and don't worry about color. Stove, fridge, and kitchenade are white.   I use my kitchenade mixer quite a bit.  Used it this morning to make the bagels and mix the cinnaberry crunch dip.  I have attachments for it to grind and shred.  There is a can opener attachment but I just do the manual can openers.  We never replaced the last electric coffee pot and went back to a stove top percolator.  Toaster and vitamix are stainless steel.  I treated myself to my vitamix a couple of years ago with money saved up from birthdays and Christmas.  My blender never did a very good job when I needed it to puree pumpkin, apples, etc.  One of my best splurges was several years ago when I decided to invest in several large stainless steel spoons, slotted and un slotted and give up on those cheaper plastic and metal spoons that never seemed to last very long.  Hardly a day goes by that they don't get used and they are all still fine----lasted much longer than the other stuff I was using.  

oh those spoons sound nice  i use either teflon or plastic so as to not scatch any cookwear or anything and i do have a pampered chef marble rolling pin( never used i might add lol) chef that i love  i gave daughter my stainless steel bowl sets and kept and use the bowls that were moms  they are heavy and breakable but i am careful i only have a small portable hand mixer but dont make allthe good hings you make lol so that is fine  i have a blender butthat is in a cupboard since i got the food processer which just does everything lol  it keeps the electric frying pan  the pressure cooker and the deep fryer  cooker and the crockpot company!!  they have become great cupboard buddies lol :lol

more later ending of cd 6 on tap here  

Archived