Written instructions or charts?

dur30cat

Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?  

521 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?

• No charts please! Word for word absolutely!
    • Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative.
    • Charts only; they work better for me. (so long as there's info on how I start and finish.)
    • Don't care for either.

Question

I am thinking of writing up some patterns when I realized I am truly stumped. Some of the pattern stitches I used don't translate well when it comes to written instructions. Or it's just odd shaped (like this pair of mary janes booties here...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14145 - i just did it in the round.)

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I'll be interested to hear what your views are!

Thanks in advance,

Emy

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer charts because of the silly way that written instructions evolved to repeat between ** so many times and then there'd be a repeat ++ inside the **. I ended up rewriting these so I could tick them off.

I thought Crochet Fantasy did a good job of writing instructions with a chart.

Crochet Magic had charts and then very minimal words. I guess it made it easier to publish in multiple languages, but I find with their designs that I have to study the pattern for about an hour before I feel comfortable starting it.

I prefer written instructions to charts, but I like to have both for reference purposes. My eyes go :loco with a chart only.

I prefer writtten instructions with a chart on the side. Between the two I am able to figure out what is supposed to be done. Sometimes the written instructions get too complicated with all the ** () and stuff. Also there are typos in some instructions and charts get you through it all. Having both appeals to either type of crocheter, making your instructions more appealing, and ensuring a sale either way.

Would you care to share on how to make a chart with me?

I use Word. I use line draw to create the symbol, select all parts of the symbol and then "group" it. I then keep all the symbols save in one document on my computer. When I'm writing a pattern, I just copy the symbols and paste them into my new document. You can copy one time, and then paste multiple times. To "nudge" the symbols into position, hold down the Ctrl key and use the arrow keys. After you have a group of symbols pasted and arranged on your page, you can then select all of those symbols and "group" them too. Then you can copy and paste the groups. Be sure to save often as you are working!

It really depends on what the pattern is. Doily patterns, with many, many stitch variations, are so much easier to see and understand in symbol form. A simple doily can take pages and pages to write out because every round is different. I hate repeat from * to * so many times. It's so easy to get lost.

Other patterns, with fewer stitch changes, but lots of increases and decreases, are sometimes easier to follow in writing. Some things, I think, would be virtually impossible to write out. Anyone want to try writing out a Bruges lace pattern?

So...for me, it depends on what the pattern is for, but I definitely prefer charts and will probably not make any complicated project that does not have one.

For many years when they were available, I used charts from Magic Crochet magazine. I found that the charts were wonderful for making doilys and motifs, but not so good for making clothing patterns. However, I wish that magazine hadn't gone under--it was a fantastic publication.

msmarple

Charts can confirm written words and vice versa. When a designer makes a mistake in the written format, he/she may show the correct way in the chart. (Errors in Stitch N B___ patterns are examples). I also read somewhere that the Japanese are printing most of their patterns in chart format now so that their patterns can be used Internationally crossing language barriers. Globalization hits the crochet community! I think charts are here to stay.

I prefer charts. I don't like starting a written pattern to figure out later that it is a UK/Aus pattern and I have been reading it the American way, only to have to start over.

That being said I am perfectly comfortable with written instructions, they are easier to come across than are charts.

It comes down to, I am more likely to buy charts, however if I like the pattern enough it doesn't matter which way it comes in.

I was crocheting a shawl by a well known designer this past week. It could be me, but I had a real problem with the written instructions. I didn't find them clear or accurate. I used the chart (reading the written words once in a while to clarify) for the first time and I was amazed. I really enjoyed working from the chart.

I actually don't like charts, I have never learned to read them. and now that my crochet for dummies is in the wind, that seems unlikely till i find it again. :sigh so I prefer at least written instructions so that I can figure it out.

I can't read a chart to save my life. some one has to tell what they symbols mean and in what order to do them. I almost work better from a photo! My brain just doesn't work that way

What I really prefer is the written word accompanied by a symbols diagram, not the cross-stitch type used in filet patterns. —I’ve never done filet work so I guess I’m disclosing some of my prejudices. Some of the things on “Handy are pretty enticing—I am an avid reader, and back during my youth (in the year 1) I was given an aptitude test, the outcome of which was a discovery that I had an affinity to spatial thinking. But some years back I began having seizures. (I’m fine now, but thanks for asking,) Anyway one of the things effected in my head, was my spatial projection abilities. Poor, poor, John. I wrote a posting yesterday concerning a problem with some stitching, and I spent hours online searching for symbols or “clip art” of crochet symbols to help explain my problem, finding nothing. If you know of such a site I would love to know where it is. —John Hablinski

I'm a recent convert to charted patterns and finding it difficult to go back to patterns with just the written instructions. I treated myself to a lovely doily book but I'm getting lost in the text! The books with symbols that I got at the same time are getting lots of use though :D

Whoever posted the link to the Drops shawl - THANK YOU :D I forgot to bookmark this one. The thing that confused at first was the sl st until I counted the rows and realised what it was for. I wish they would give row numbers on the charts!

I like both. I do see the written explanation for certain areas of a chart pattern at times. I don't think you can get away with just a chart. I do find that some authors in writing their patterns tend to be wordy. Good clear explanations that aren't wordy and repetitive are the best. By repeating when unnecessary you can become confusing. Sometimes when looking at a symbol/chart it is helpful for a brief explanation at what might be confusing or difficult part clears up a lot for the reader.

I have a Macintosh pc and I know there is a symbol/chart program out there for the Windows computers. Does anyone know of one for the Macintosh pc?

Archived