Written instructions or charts?

dur30cat

Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?  

521 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?

• No charts please! Word for word absolutely!
    • Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative.
    • Charts only; they work better for me. (so long as there's info on how I start and finish.)
    • Don't care for either.

Question

I am thinking of writing up some patterns when I realized I am truly stumped. Some of the pattern stitches I used don't translate well when it comes to written instructions. Or it's just odd shaped (like this pair of mary janes booties here...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14145 - i just did it in the round.)

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I'll be interested to hear what your views are!

Thanks in advance,

Emy

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the charts as I can tell if something is written wrong or if I've done something wrong. Word for word takes a bit more effort for me, even though that's how I learned and 90% of what I do is from those patterns.

Either way, as long as I have fiber and hook, I'm good to go. :lol

I prefer charts. I don't like starting a written pattern to figure out later that it is a UK/Aus pattern and I have been reading it the American way, only to have to start over.

That being said I am perfectly comfortable with written instructions, they are easier to come across than are charts.

It comes down to, I am more likely to buy charts, however if I like the pattern enough it doesn't matter which way it comes in.

It's hard getting a response back from them. They are usually inundated with questions about patterns. I'm confident that this program will be good, especially since the woman over at the company told me that you can turn off the grid when exporting. My only singular concern is that I'm wondering if the image is a high resolution image before exporting. I've consulted the guru of all things technical (aka. Mr. NexStitch) and he says if it exports at a high res, I'm golden.

My fingers are crossed.

I prefer a clear photo showing the sole, the instep the sides the heel and the cuff when it comes to booties. And the written instructions, but a chart would also be a good aid. For not all written instructions are either totally correct from not having been tested, or typos, or from being out of country.

But I can go by either of the three I've listed here as well as an original item. Sorry but it's true.

I would suggest the mentionable above for novice/students of crochet. And a reference guide with your symbols for the charts, as well as a stitch reference with the abbreviations, terms, and special stitches you may create.

I have patterns being tested at this time. I did not include the pictures or a chart for them. To make sure that the instructions are understandable. And when it comes to making charts, I have not found a program that helps me keep it organized.

Would you care to share on how to make a chart with me?

I prefer charts because of the silly way that written instructions evolved to repeat between ** so many times and then there'd be a repeat ++ inside the **. I ended up rewriting these so I could tick them off.

I thought Crochet Fantasy did a good job of writing instructions with a chart.

Crochet Magic had charts and then very minimal words. I guess it made it easier to publish in multiple languages, but I find with their designs that I have to study the pattern for about an hour before I feel comfortable starting it.

I voted written instructions with a chart as an alternative. I'm still learning how to use the International symbols for crocheting and really when I get the hang of it, it will open up a whole new world with the German patterns and such...

But I am truly a written word person, with the exception of the charts for filet crochet...good luck with your endeavors.

I love charts with accompanying text. I do almost all of my own design work by starting with a drawing and a chart and then writing down the stitches. That may come from me having a back ground first in graphic arts, computer 3d modeling and industrial drawing. I "see" my designs in my head as 3d objects that I can turn around and "look" at - the only way I can design things is to visualize them in my head that way.

So yes - charts please :clap

Nhewyt

Ideally I like to have both, but I find myself skipping the text and going straight to the charts whenever possible. Text patterns seem so error prone. You rarely see charts revised on errata sheets; it's always the text that turns out to be wrong. Rgh! Guess that's why I like Japanese crochet & knitting books; it's all charts, including stuff done in the round like hats--awesome.

I reakly like the charts. My eyes seem to go crosseyed with the small type, and I get irritated when I lose my place constantly,,,having to re read where I got lost at. I like the written instructions with an accompanying chart, if the instructions are a bit hard to understand.

I was crocheting a shawl by a well known designer this past week. It could be me, but I had a real problem with the written instructions. I didn't find them clear or accurate. I used the chart (reading the written words once in a while to clarify) for the first time and I was amazed. I really enjoyed working from the chart.

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I like having the chart to accompany written instructions. I am visual and so it helps me to be able to look at the chart. If a pattern doesn't have at least a picture, I won't do it. A chart is helpful because it helps me to keep count of stitches more easily. Written instructions are definitely necessary though. I also like it when a designer includes how many stitches and spaces at the end of each line of instructions. In other words, how many double crochets or how many chain-1 or chain-2 spaces I should end up with after following that line of instructions.

I love charts! I had been using a pattern book that had them for a while and got used to them. Later when I moved on to other projects with no chart, I really missed them. It's nice to see at a glance exactly what you need to do next.

I mostly use charts, but I do appreciate it if it is written out as well (so I don't have to count as often...heeheehee)

I do wish the american patterns have accompanying charts. It's easier for me to visualize the final project and it encourages me to get a project done pronto!!

I am one of those people who sometimes just doesnt get it until i can see it. I dont like to try patterns that dont have a picture posted with them. I dont have trouble reading patterns but if i am tired or distracted i just need to see it and a chart or really good photo does it for me. I can alot of times on small items copy something from a picture if i cant get the pattern.(only for my own use of course).. i like to have both.

Archived