Written instructions or charts?

dur30cat

Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?  

521 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?

• No charts please! Word for word absolutely!
    • Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative.
    • Charts only; they work better for me. (so long as there's info on how I start and finish.)
    • Don't care for either.

Question

I am thinking of writing up some patterns when I realized I am truly stumped. Some of the pattern stitches I used don't translate well when it comes to written instructions. Or it's just odd shaped (like this pair of mary janes booties here...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14145 - i just did it in the round.)

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I'll be interested to hear what your views are!

Thanks in advance,

Emy

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a growing contempt for charts. I don't know if it's me or the chart, but something is not right here:no . I did post for help with a picture of the chart (it was a free pattern, Drop Down Designs) and turns out it was a British pattern, but it's a major pain in the butt!

I like having patterns that have a diagram on how complicated parts are done or connected etc.

If it's just regular stitching I don't mind reading the directions out, but when it gets to placing markers then starting something at the marker, or matching markers up, I really need to see it drawn out.

I spend too much time drawing them out myself.

To me, this is really an important subject, written instructions versus a chart, because on some projects I simply get lost in the written instructions. I'll only buy patterns now that have either a very sharp picture of the finished item or a chart. If there is an error or something is unclear in the written directions, I can always figure out what is meant in the chart or photograph. I love charts and sometimes that's all I'll use.

I really like charts.

They are so easy to read.

It's like looking at a piece of crochet and copying the stitches.

I can follow written instructions, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm always having to find the right line, and then repeat from * to *.

I can't 'see' it when it's written down, but with a chart I can.

Given a choice I will work from a chart.

I agree with the cross stitch analogy. It's hard for me to count the little symbols on a complicated chart and figure out what stitch goes where. It is useful as a reference, though, when you can't quite get the written instructions through your brain. Doilies aren't bad with charts, but some of the yarn patterns drove me nuts and I gave the pattern away.

Judy

I am one of those people who sometimes just doesnt get it until i can see it. I dont like to try patterns that dont have a picture posted with them. I dont have trouble reading patterns but if i am tired or distracted i just need to see it and a chart or really good photo does it for me. I can alot of times on small items copy something from a picture if i cant get the pattern.(only for my own use of course).. i like to have both.

You don't have the option of

Either: It doesn't matter to me I will use either.

I have used both methods and it doesn't matter to me which way it is done. The design is what counts.

I'm with you Katchkan. Either's or Neither's fine also...

I mostly use charts, but I do appreciate it if it is written out as well (so I don't have to count as often...heeheehee)

I do wish the american patterns have accompanying charts. It's easier for me to visualize the final project and it encourages me to get a project done pronto!!

I reakly like the charts. My eyes seem to go crosseyed with the small type, and I get irritated when I lose my place constantly,,,having to re read where I got lost at. I like the written instructions with an accompanying chart, if the instructions are a bit hard to understand.

i havent tried a chart but i know sometimes when im doing a long, detailed pattern that changes every row, i get lost if im doing other things (like at work or watchin tv) lol... i would like to have a chart beside it to know where i am at in the pattern just by quickly looking at it.

I like a chart along with the written instructions. I often get lost in long row explanations, but I also don't like to have to count each tiny symbol on the chart in order to know how many stitches there are supposed to be.

I prefer a clear photo showing the sole, the instep the sides the heel and the cuff when it comes to booties. And the written instructions, but a chart would also be a good aid. For not all written instructions are either totally correct from not having been tested, or typos, or from being out of country.

But I can go by either of the three I've listed here as well as an original item. Sorry but it's true.

I would suggest the mentionable above for novice/students of crochet. And a reference guide with your symbols for the charts, as well as a stitch reference with the abbreviations, terms, and special stitches you may create.

I have patterns being tested at this time. I did not include the pictures or a chart for them. To make sure that the instructions are understandable. And when it comes to making charts, I have not found a program that helps me keep it organized.

Would you care to share on how to make a chart with me?

Ideally I like to have both, but I find myself skipping the text and going straight to the charts whenever possible. Text patterns seem so error prone. You rarely see charts revised on errata sheets; it's always the text that turns out to be wrong. Rgh! Guess that's why I like Japanese crochet & knitting books; it's all charts, including stuff done in the round like hats--awesome.

I guess that is a reason to have both - you can use a graph to check the written pattern, There seems to be so many mistakes in some pattern.

And sort of on topic, in terms of written patterns I like ones that tell you what the you should have at the end of a row --- 6 shells, 9 spaces, 35 stitches - what ever. I really appreciate the stitch count when there are increase or decrease stitiches in a pattern.

Hint hint for anyone writing patterns

Archived