Written instructions or charts?

dur30cat

Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?  

521 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?

• No charts please! Word for word absolutely!
    • Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative.
    • Charts only; they work better for me. (so long as there's info on how I start and finish.)
    • Don't care for either.

Question

I am thinking of writing up some patterns when I realized I am truly stumped. Some of the pattern stitches I used don't translate well when it comes to written instructions. Or it's just odd shaped (like this pair of mary janes booties here...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14145 - i just did it in the round.)

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I'll be interested to hear what your views are!

Thanks in advance,

Emy

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on what the pattern is. Doily patterns, with many, many stitch variations, are so much easier to see and understand in symbol form. A simple doily can take pages and pages to write out because every round is different. I hate repeat from * to * so many times. It's so easy to get lost.

Other patterns, with fewer stitch changes, but lots of increases and decreases, are sometimes easier to follow in writing. Some things, I think, would be virtually impossible to write out. Anyone want to try writing out a Bruges lace pattern?

So...for me, it depends on what the pattern is for, but I definitely prefer charts and will probably not make any complicated project that does not have one.

I voted for "Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative." because it was the closest to my preference... I actually prefer a chart. I can take the written instructions or leave them as long as I have my glasses handy. Those little circles are hard to count! The other symbols I have no problem seeing...

Both, plus lots of pictures. The more info the better! A summary of the pattern would be good too. Once the basics pattern is learned, a summary or a chart is a good reference for when you've put the project down for a while.

I find it frustrating to write text instructions when what happens between * and * is different depending on what the foundation row is, or if shaping or short rows are involved. Charts make all these exceptions easy.

I'm a fairly new crocheter and have made scarves, purses, dishcloths and afghans. I prefer to read the instructions because I looked at a chart and got nervous palputatios from looking at. Charts really scare me although I needlepoint from charts. I guess I should sit down and really look and practice but until then I prefer the written words.

Happy crocheting,

antwerpnative

You don't have the option of

Either: It doesn't matter to me I will use either.

I have used both methods and it doesn't matter to me which way it is done. The design is what counts.

I'm with Katchkan

Either work for me.

:mug:cat:yarn

I have to be a little difficult here :lol: I need the written instructions. I like to have a chart for reference but I MUST have a photo or two (at least one of the completed project and a few close ups of the stitches if they are complex).

I like both. I do see the written explanation for certain areas of a chart pattern at times. I don't think you can get away with just a chart. I do find that some authors in writing their patterns tend to be wordy. Good clear explanations that aren't wordy and repetitive are the best. By repeating when unnecessary you can become confusing. Sometimes when looking at a symbol/chart it is helpful for a brief explanation at what might be confusing or difficult part clears up a lot for the reader.

I have a Macintosh pc and I know there is a symbol/chart program out there for the Windows computers. Does anyone know of one for the Macintosh pc?

I'm a recent convert to charted patterns and finding it difficult to go back to patterns with just the written instructions. I treated myself to a lovely doily book but I'm getting lost in the text! The books with symbols that I got at the same time are getting lots of use though :D

Whoever posted the link to the Drops shawl - THANK YOU :D I forgot to bookmark this one. The thing that confused at first was the sl st until I counted the rows and realised what it was for. I wish they would give row numbers on the charts!

What I really prefer is the written word accompanied by a symbols diagram, not the cross-stitch type used in filet patterns. —I’ve never done filet work so I guess I’m disclosing some of my prejudices. Some of the things on “Handy are pretty enticing—I am an avid reader, and back during my youth (in the year 1) I was given an aptitude test, the outcome of which was a discovery that I had an affinity to spatial thinking. But some years back I began having seizures. (I’m fine now, but thanks for asking,) Anyway one of the things effected in my head, was my spatial projection abilities. Poor, poor, John. I wrote a posting yesterday concerning a problem with some stitching, and I spent hours online searching for symbols or “clip art” of crochet symbols to help explain my problem, finding nothing. If you know of such a site I would love to know where it is. —John Hablinski

I prefer charts. I don't like starting a written pattern to figure out later that it is a UK/Aus pattern and I have been reading it the American way, only to have to start over.

That being said I am perfectly comfortable with written instructions, they are easier to come across than are charts.

It comes down to, I am more likely to buy charts, however if I like the pattern enough it doesn't matter which way it comes in.

For many years when they were available, I used charts from Magic Crochet magazine. I found that the charts were wonderful for making doilys and motifs, but not so good for making clothing patterns. However, I wish that magazine hadn't gone under--it was a fantastic publication.

msmarple

Charts can confirm written words and vice versa. When a designer makes a mistake in the written format, he/she may show the correct way in the chart. (Errors in Stitch N B___ patterns are examples). I also read somewhere that the Japanese are printing most of their patterns in chart format now so that their patterns can be used Internationally crossing language barriers. Globalization hits the crochet community! I think charts are here to stay.

I can't read a chart to save my life. some one has to tell what they symbols mean and in what order to do them. I almost work better from a photo! My brain just doesn't work that way

Archived