Written instructions or charts?

dur30cat

Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?  

521 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer word for word written instructions or would charts suffice?

• No charts please! Word for word absolutely!
    • Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative.
    • Charts only; they work better for me. (so long as there's info on how I start and finish.)
    • Don't care for either.

Question

I am thinking of writing up some patterns when I realized I am truly stumped. Some of the pattern stitches I used don't translate well when it comes to written instructions. Or it's just odd shaped (like this pair of mary janes booties here...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14145 - i just did it in the round.)

How many people would consider purchasing charts or symbols type patterns? (of course, I'll include some basic symbol instruction to let you know what they are.)

I'll be interested to hear what your views are!

Thanks in advance,

Emy

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be a little difficult here :lol: I need the written instructions. I like to have a chart for reference but I MUST have a photo or two (at least one of the completed project and a few close ups of the stitches if they are complex).

You don't have the option of

Either: It doesn't matter to me I will use either.

I have used both methods and it doesn't matter to me which way it is done. The design is what counts.

I'm with Katchkan

Either work for me.

:mug:cat:yarn

I'm a fairly new crocheter and have made scarves, purses, dishcloths and afghans. I prefer to read the instructions because I looked at a chart and got nervous palputatios from looking at. Charts really scare me although I needlepoint from charts. I guess I should sit down and really look and practice but until then I prefer the written words.

Happy crocheting,

antwerpnative

I find it frustrating to write text instructions when what happens between * and * is different depending on what the foundation row is, or if shaping or short rows are involved. Charts make all these exceptions easy.

Both, plus lots of pictures. The more info the better! A summary of the pattern would be good too. Once the basics pattern is learned, a summary or a chart is a good reference for when you've put the project down for a while.

I voted for "Written out instructions accompanied by pattern chart as an alternative." because it was the closest to my preference... I actually prefer a chart. I can take the written instructions or leave them as long as I have my glasses handy. Those little circles are hard to count! The other symbols I have no problem seeing...

Archived