Getting Started on Gifts for 2014

judianne

I am about halfway through the second infinity scarf.

The good news is i can make two scarbes from one skein of yarn.

The bad news is i am only halfway through scarf 2 of 5 and i am getting tired of it.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the latest Annie's 18" doll book so of course I had to try it out for my doll project.  Found gauge was a bit of a challenge, but decided that a little big was better than skin tight.

American Girl Snuggly Bear

That's cute! I often have trouble with gauge. It seems like if the gauge is right in one direction, it's off in the other! So I try to stick with projects where it really doesn't matter so my head won't explode.

Ratdog, I sometimes find certain projects boring too. Sounds like its time for you to do something different for a while.

Bailey, that is really adorable!

Ratdog I sometimes end up working on multiple projects just to make sure I will keep working on a project that needs to be repeated.

This is the last of my doll projects for a bit.  I'm working on my ami and color swap projects and then I really have to get to Easter and spring birthdays.  I loved this pattern.  DH purchased it for me for Valentine's.  It matched gauge and for the first time in ages I didn't find myself rewriting as I was working.

American Girl Dress, Poncho, and Hat

2 scarves finished. I will start the third one today in a different color.

Looks like i will have lace weight alpaca yarn leftover. Any ideas of what to do with it?

I also bought yarn on sale at Michaels to make a blanket for my son for college..

Will someone please tell me where the time went? How can my baby boy be going to college in a few months?

Hi, ladies! I'm back....not coherent yet, but back.....my son thinks the jet lag will be gone by Thursday...lol! I wonder how anyone will be able to tell ;)

Hi, ladies! I'm back....not coherent yet, but back.....my son thinks the jet lag will be gone by Thursday...lol! I wonder how anyone will be able to tell ;)

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

We are always talking about fun, quick gifts for family.  I'm always trying to find something Mom can make that doesn't cost her a fortune and we'll use.  She likes to give gifts and her budget is limited.  She also likes the gifts to be meaningful, so people don't just shove them in a closet never to be seen again.

Last year while shopping for fleece she hit on the idea of pillows with holiday covers.  For Christmas I got to throw pillows with removable Christmas covers sewn with velcro closings.  In the mail yesterday, she sent me covers for Valentine's Day, Doggy St. Patick's Day Covers, and my favorite Peanuts Easter ones.  I love my holiday pillows.  I'm looking forward to my birthday which I'm hoping includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, and maybe something for the 4th of July.  According to Mom, these work up fairly quickly on the machine. 

I hope to get some pictures posted on my blog of the most recent covers next week.

Almost done with the fourth (of 5) infinity scarf. School is not out until the end of May so I have plenty of time to finish.

I bought cupcake gift boxes and large cup cake liners to wrap them in so the scarf will be

rolled up in a cupcake liner and visible through the cellophane on the top of the cupcake presentation box.

Almost done with the fourth (of 5) infinity scarf. School is not out until the end of May so I have plenty of time to finish.

I bought cupcake gift boxes and large cup cake liners to wrap them in so the scarf will be

rolled up in a cupcake liner and visible through the cellophane on the top of the cupcake presentation box.

Cute idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Is everyone taking a break from making gifts? 

I am halfway through the 5th infinity scarf. I plan on finishing it over the weekend.

Then I will start on a blanket for my son for college. :graduate

:cheer Let's keep going and cheer each other on ! No one should be up late on Christmas Eve this year! :ctree  

Ratdog, your son will love the blanket! My 39 yo still loves it when I give him one....his cat loves them too...lol!

Mona, good for you for picking up the wrap again!

I promised myself time to make a bookmark or two after the baby boy RR is finished.....and BEFORE I start on the big sister's ghan. The bookmarks are so easy, I really have no excuse not to make them!!

We are always talking about fun, quick gifts for family.  I'm always trying to find something Mom can make that doesn't cost her a fortune and we'll use.  She likes to give gifts and her budget is limited.  She also likes the gifts to be meaningful, so people don't just shove them in a closet never to be seen again.

Last year while shopping for fleece she hit on the idea of pillows with holiday covers.  For Christmas I got to throw pillows with removable Christmas covers sewn with velcro closings.  In the mail yesterday, she sent me covers for Valentine's Day, Doggy St. Patick's Day Covers, and my favorite Peanuts Easter ones.  I love my holiday pillows.  I'm looking forward to my birthday which I'm hoping includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, and maybe something for the 4th of July.  According to Mom, these work up fairly quickly on the machine. 

I hope to get some pictures posted on my blog of the most recent covers next week.

What a good idea. I have a lot of orphan quilt blocks that I made just to try out a pattern. This would certainly be a good way to use some of them.

I've kind of set aside the blanket for my husband, though I did finish one baby blanket for charity. That's a gift, right?

absolutely ;)  

What a good idea. I have a lot of orphan quilt blocks that I made just to try out a pattern. This would certainly be a good way to use some of them.

great idea!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried the pattern I wanted to use to make thread bookmarks....and ditched it. I've made it before but this time it wasn't working for me.

I went searching for other free patterns and have two that look simpler for my old hands and eyes. Once I get started I'll let you know how it's going.

How's everyone else doing with their projects??

Archived