Getting Started on Gifts for 2014

judianne

With only 171 days until Christmas I thought it was time to bring this CAL back to the top!

I admit to only having one Christmas gift done (the pillow for my sister that I posted months ago!).

I have finished other gifts not related to Christmas and I am currently working on a large blanket for my son to take to college. (about 1/2 way done) 

How is everyone doing on their gift planning creating these days?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, rat dog....

It sounds like you're in gift making mode!

Been working on baby blankets for NICU lately.....

• 3 weeks later...

Mona, that's great! I love reflective yarn. Is used some years ago when making a kids ghan with moon and stars on it.

Bailey, good for,you... Right now I'm finishing the crab st border on a baby round ripple I was commissioned to make. Next is a comfortghan for a friend who just went through an unexpectedly rough surgery.

Not sure about making any gifts thus year...possible, but not sure. They would be small gifts, if I do any.

Oh my goodness ladies! I guess I took another 'ville hiatus! :( but now I think I'm back and I am itching to dig into my yarn again! I haven't even started my list. I'm so glad I already made it though because there is no way I would remember what I had in mind for everyone. Once the school year starts, I'll have a bit more free time to get back to work. Right now I'm still in teacher planning mode and retail summer job mode. Boy I sure do have the itch to get back to it! :)

I received a scrubbie as part of my wishlist here on Crochetville.  I was surprised at how well it cleans.  I made a second one for my house to try it out and it works up quick and cleans as well as the one I received.  I'm thinking about throwing a few of these in with Christmas presents to add a hand made touch.  Most of my list doesn't look like it is going to be hand made, but I like to add something that people will use.

I posted a picture and a link to the pattern on my blog.

Scrubbie

Bailey, thanks for the link!

I see she uses acrylic....did you use that or cotton?

It's a super nice udea....

I received a scrubbie as part of my wishlist here on Crochetville.  I was surprised at how well it cleans.  I made a second one for my house to try it out and it works up quick and cleans as well as the one I received.  I'm thinking about throwing a few of these in with Christmas presents to add a hand made touch.  Most of my list doesn't look like it is going to be hand made, but I like to add something that people will use.

Scrubbie

That looks interesting--I'm going to have to try it!

The one I got used acrylic and I was surprised because I always think cotton.  Then I used it and it is a great pot/grill cleaner.  So I used some Red Heart I've been trying to finish off and DH loves it.

Scrubbie

I simply LOVE this pattern!!  Over the past 3 years, we've made over 100 of these for our crafts shows--from acrylic--and people love them!!

Huh, I thought you were supposed to use cotton on dishcloths. I have that in my list to make my MIL for Christmas and I have a pattern book full of dishcloth patterns but I will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Huh, I thought you were supposed to use cotton on dishcloths. I have that in my list to make my MIL for Christmas and I have a pattern book full of dishcloth patterns but I will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

I always did, too.  However, for these scrubbies the acrylic works really well as a scrubbie for pots and grills.

I made one of the scrubbies last night--definitely a quick and easy project. The only thing I was unclear on was whether you were supposed to use the same end string for sewing the ends together as well as tightening the two sides. Or use one end string for the ends and the other for the edges of the rows (what I did since one wasn't long enough for both). It looked like the picture when I finished, so either I did it right or it doesn't matter.

I'll be making more of these for stocking stuffers or "happies".

One string to sew together everything.  Then you tie the two strings together to end them off.  I left both long since I wasn't sure what I'd need the first time.

I made one of the scrubbies last night--definitely a quick and easy project. The only thing I was unclear on was whether you were supposed to use the same end string for sewing the ends together as well as tightening the two sides. Or use one end string for the ends and the other for the edges of the rows (what I did since one wasn't long enough for both). It looked like the picture when I finished, so either I did it right or it doesn't matter.

I'll be making more of these for stocking stuffers or "happies".

Ok. No pics yet because i loaned my camera to a coworker. But the Naruto inspired blanket for my college bound son is done. I also made a purple ruffled purse for another coworker last weekend.

But a third coworker saw the purse and now she wants one too!

I am making lots of gifts this year but so far only one has been for Christmas 2014!

We are taking my son to college tomorrow and he will bring his Naruto inspired blanket.

I told him that if his roommates think it is an awesome blanket and ask if mom will make one for them the answer is "NO!" :P

The photos show the finished blanket laid out on a double bed and a close up of the Naruto cloud applique.

post-23494-0-54480700-1408025514_thumb.jpg

post-23494-0-71800400-1408025530_thumb.jpg

Archived