Crochet Crown

Amy

Here is a crochet crown I made to wear in the booth at the CGOA Chain Link conferences and Stitches events this year.

It's made from Filatura Di Crosa's New Smoking yarn in Silver.

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

This is the crown with some white paper inserted in the middle so you can get a better idea of the stitch pattern.

I'm going to try to take better pictures tomorrow, since these don't really show just how absolutely sparkly and divine it is!

I stiffened it with a boiled cornstarch mixture. It's quite sturdy.

I guess that would've been good information to include in the original post! Just updated it.

No, the yarn doesn't hold up like that on its own. I stiffened it with a boiled cornstarch mixture that really allows all the sparkliness to shine through. I think glue would have dulled that down too much. I didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of ants with a sugar mixture.

It's stiff enough to hold its shape, but still flexible as well. Not so hard and stiff that the fibers are in any danger of breaking.

Crochetville's booth was located right next to the CGOA booth. Unfortunately, due to each group's need to maximize space to display crocheted items, we had an 8' wall of draping between us. We were so busy in our booth I didn't get to socialize much with the

CGOA people.

I heard through the grapevine (aka Penny Sitler, former CGOA Executive Director), that Lori did a more-than-fabulous job promoting CGOA to booth visitors.

The response to the crown was totally unexpected. Everyone wanted the pattern, even die-hard knitters! So hopefully I'll be able to release the pattern in a week or two.

Ooooooh, gorgeous!! :drool

How did you stiffen it, I mean shape-wise? Did you use cardboard or something like that? I've only stiffened flat things and a 3D angel, and the angel was a nightmare to stiffen.

Archived