Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

yep we sandwiched Skoggy #90 right between us,lol

so, three from this thread in a row

We are definately on a roll here.  Kuddles was #62, Cshort was # 68, and I was #43.  I can't believe I got mine 4 years ago Nov. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are definately on a roll here. Kuddles was #62, Cshort was # 68, and I was #43. I can't believe I got mine 4 years ago Nov.

Well then rest of us need to get picked to . You guys will be our good luck charms!

Hi, ladies!  I have a dilemma.  My sister-in-law's mom saved me a sizable bag of bright red yarn from a church sale they had.  When she was giving it to me, she took it out for the first time.  Turns out some of the yarn had mice yuckiness on it.  She separated the dirtier balls to discard and gave me the ones that didn't appear to have anything.  However, since all yarn had been stored together in the same garage by the same person for who knows how long, it's safe to assume that though not visible, it's all been contaminated.  Have any of you ladies successfully washed and dried yarn?  I read online that some people first make yarn cakes to tie more securely together to wash so that it doesn't get tangled.  I do not want anything in the air or anywhere.  I prefer to throw it in the washer, maybe in laundry mesh bags to keep them as intact as possible.  My only other realistic option is to throw the yarn away.  It's acrylic, by the way.  It won't felt.  I feel badly about getting rid of it.  If I have to do it, I will.  For now it's residing in my car trunk.  I'm not bringing it inside the house.

Yes if you wash it it will get rid of the mice smell and yuckiness. My daughter gave me a few trash bags of yarn but 1 bag was so bad I threw it away. I wasn't that desperate for yarn. So if you really don't want to bother and don't honestly need it I would just toss it if that concerned.

Yes if you wash it it will get rid of the mice smell and yuckiness. My daughter gave me a few trash bags of yarn but 1 bag was so bad I threw it away. I wasn't that desperate for yarn. So if you really don't want to bother and don't honestly need it I would just toss it if that concerned.

Thanks, owlvamp :)

Good morning!

About the miced yarn....I'd sure toss it! Wouldn't want to even bring it in the house.....don't want the threat of germs getting on my floor, my washer lid, etc. But that's just me!

Kiddles will be a 70s gal for Halloween!!! Walmart 6.99 costume. The right price! I will make her a necklace with a peace sign on it......she'll be groovy!

Gotta run!

kuddles

My sister that lives in Pa called last night and she said she just cleaned up here garden. She thought her cabbage didn't do any good and so she bought 50 lbs to make yucky sour kraut . Then looked back in her garden they went to clean everything up pull up the tomatoe cages and guess what her whole roll of cabbage bloomed and is ready to pick. LOL I laughed at her.

Does anyone know if you can freeze cabbage?

Good morning everyone!

can't help with the question of freezing cabbage

its a rather dreary day here,again!!,I'm really tired of all this rain,its good for us not to have to water the plants,we just finished a week of temps in the 80's.up side we still have roses blooming and the potted Hibiscus is really lovely

I've washed yarn (stupid cat peed on a skein I needed) and all the smell came out, but it was a pain to untangle! I washed it in a mesh bad so it could be loose without destroying the washer. I'd be afraid that washing it in a ball or cake would prevent the inside from being cleaned.

Today has been sooooo long; I need to stop eating chocolate cereal for breakfast. It just doesn't have the substance you need for the morning! I think I'm going to get the little guy from school early today. He hasn't been feeling well and DH and I both really needed to be in today, but since I leave at three thirty I can go rescue him, I think.... Poor kid just needs some quiet recovery time, I think!

I hope he feels better VikingRunnerGirl. It's cold here and if it is there make the poor dude a hot chocolate and arm his tummy.

Yes that's an awesome deal on the Halloween costume.

I'm crocheting a wash cloth for a friend. She needs about ten so need to work on those.

Well then rest of us need to get picked to . You guys will be our good luck charms!

yep we sandwiched Skoggy #90 right between us,lol

so, three from this thread in a row

wow how cool is that, so how many does that make altogether, Skoggy, Bgs, Pineknott, Me,Kuddkes, now  how many more of us are there on this thread that have earned Mary Jo's generosity???????    Chime in all, lets do a count!!!!!!!!

I gotta say i sure love mine! It's right now holding some buff fleck that I took out to use up, about 6 skeins, or so, and it still have room for more!!!!!!!!

As for washing  yarn, umm,I have washed a few skeins in my day, I rubberbanded them in three places, each end and in the middle, then put them tightly fitting into a mesh landry bag, i think it fit three or four....washed them, warm water, reg. agitation, then took them out, checked them, they were fine, all still together, then into the dryer for like 10 minutes, and then placed them on a large towel on the patio table, in the sun, covered them with another thinner towel to prevent fade, and wala, in an afternoon, summer of course, they dried in no time, came out smelling fresh, and clean, and no coffee stains left on it, and it was white or off white....so, if you need or want to save the yarn, go to a laundry mat, use your mesh bag, and wash hands after handling. After they are washed, put them in a bag, take them home, and dry them briefly, then set aside to air dry, find a good place in the sun, but use a light cover to prevent sun fade.......that's all I can say bout that!! (i think too, i added vinegar to the water, it's great for softening it up, and is a disinfectant too, so double duty!

When I know in advance, that friends, or daughters friends are bringing kids by for halloween, i definitly have home made goodies in the ready, along with so hot chocolate if it is a chilly night, but that seldom happens anymore, soooo will leave the porch light off this season, i suppose,

Ok, a seventies girl,,,,,,,,hey, love beads, and all that??? How cute!

wow how cool is that, so how many does that make altogether, Skoggy, Bgs, Pineknott, Me,Kuddkes, now  how many more of us are there on this thread that have earned Mary Jo's generosity???????    Chime in all, lets do a count!!!!!!!!

I gotta say i sure love mine! It's right now holding some buff fleck that I took out to use up, about 6 skeins, or so, and it still have room for more!!!!!!!!

As for washing  yarn, umm,I have washed a few skeins in my day, I rubberbanded them in three places, each end and in the middle, then put them tightly fitting into a mesh landry bag, i think it fit three or four....washed them, warm water, reg. agitation, then took them out, checked them, they were fine, all still together, then into the dryer for like 10 minutes, and then placed them on a large towel on the patio table, in the sun, covered them with another thinner towel to prevent fade, and wala, in an afternoon, summer of course, they dried in no time, came out smelling fresh, and clean, and no coffee stains left on it, and it was white or off white....so, if you need or want to save the yarn, go to a laundry mat, use your mesh bag, and wash hands after handling. After they are washed, put them in a bag, take them home, and dry them briefly, then set aside to air dry, find a good place in the sun, but use a light cover to prevent sun fade.......that's all I can say bout that!! (i think too, i added vinegar to the water, it's great for softening it up, and is a disinfectant too, so double duty!

When I know in advance, that friends, or daughters friends are bringing kids by for halloween, i definitly have home made goodies in the ready, along with so hot chocolate if it is a chilly night, but that seldom happens anymore, soooo will leave the porch light off this season, i suppose,

Ok, a seventies girl,,,,,,,,hey, love beads, and all that??? How cute!

Did you have a problem getting the inside of the skeins washed?  Does the water penetrate all the way inside even though they're banded together and in a snug mesh bag?  I love the idea of washing them at a laundromat!

all i remember, is that the coffee stains went most of the way through them, on a cou ple of them, and after washing, nothing remained....... Soak them for a bit if you like, good luck, i hate to see yarn go to waste, but if you can't use it, and can't clean it, then I too would be sad, but I would toss it..........

Yes put vinegar in with it you also could put some baking soda as well. Between the vinegar and baking neutralizes the urine and it will all be well.

I will go check out the site for the cabbage. Thank you for it.

Seems like pat54 and TurtleLvr also have one of Mary Jo's bags.  They used to be on this CAL.  Sometimes Mary Jo has asked other recipients for suggestions as to who to add to her list of possible recipients.  ;)

I have frozen cabbage before.  We did it according to the Ball Blue Book.  Wash, discard outer leaves, cut in wedges, blanch wedges for 3 minutes, cool, drain, pack in containers, freeze.  It also says you can coarsely shred and you blanch it for 1.5 minutes. 

Thanks, ladies.  I think I'll toss the yarn. 

Kuddles, great price on Kiddles' costume!  Sounds like she's going to look fab ;)

Thanks!

I've washed yarn (stupid cat peed on a skein I needed) and all the smell came out, but it was a pain to untangle! I washed it in a mesh bad so it could be loose without destroying the washer. I'd be afraid that washing it in a ball or cake would prevent the inside from being cleaned.

Today has been sooooo long; I need to stop eating chocolate cereal for breakfast. It just doesn't have the substance you need for the morning! I think I'm going to get the little guy from school early today. He hasn't been feeling well and DH and I both really needed to be in today, but since I leave at three thirty I can go rescue him, I think.... Poor kid just needs some quiet recovery time, I think!

Bet you made him feel better by getting him early!

I hope he feels better VikingRunnerGirl. It's cold here and if it is there make the poor dude a hot chocolate and arm his tummy.

Yes that's an awesome deal on the Halloween costume.

I'm crocheting a wash cloth for a friend. She needs about ten so need to work on those.

Yup sure was!

Well tomorrow they are posting my 'boss''s job, so here's hoping I get a winner in there!

Finished a square on lunch, at my desk. Didn't go out....was nice to sit in the quiet and crochet!

Have a good nite all!

kuddles

Hi Cshort

Hope everyone had a great day. 

I got my craft room cleaned up and been working on piecing the 'ghan together. So hopefully by the time my reign is over I will know what I still need for it. 
Hubby has a dna test tomorrow. Still undecided on what I want the outcome to be so It has been put in Gods Hands. His WIll not mine be done. Would be great to have a baby around but would be wonderful to not have to deal with this woman anymore. Keep us in prayers tomorrow. 

Archived