2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

I had to go up to an L hook! Now I'm just about 5 inches but the K was just under 4.5...lol. Ah well. Hopefully using this big of a hook doesn't use Too much yarn. Anyways, after tearing out the ones I made with the 3 Other hooks, I finally have 2 done!

WOW! I'm using an "I" hook and my squares are right at 4 3/4 inches. The "H" hook gave me a square that was exactly 4 1/2 inches, but the squares felt so stiff, I didn't like them. These squares are softer and just feel so much nicer!

Great news on the two finished squares! Can't wait to see the squares!

I think the crocheters got the best deal for this week. At a knitting site they are not overly thrilled with the KAL so far.

That's a relief! I'm sure most of the people at the knitting site are experienced knitters (not like me, I'm a total beginner who has never actually finished a single knitting project). If they're not happy with the KAL, then I'm in good company! :manyheart Frankly, I have noticed that this latest attempt is coming along significantly faster than my first three attempts, so maybe (just maybe), I can get all eight squares finished by the next clue comes up.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, I realize it's kind of late to be wondering about my colors... I'm wondering about my colors!!! :eek

My original lineup was this:

[ATTACH]52189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52190[/ATTACH]

My Master Color is Rose Pink, and my Contrast Colors are:

A - Claret

B - White

C - Grey

D - Delft Blue

Now, I'm considering a revision, and thought I might go with:

[ATTACH]52192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52191[/ATTACH]

Master Color - Rose Pink

A - White

B - Black

C - Grey

D - Claret

What do you think??? :think I don't have a room to put it in yet, I'm just using yarn from my stash and want the colors to go together, that's my main goal at this point... Any of you with an eye for color have an opinion???

:ty I appreciate any thoughts you have!!

I will be able to do all but one square right up until I decide for sure which way to go, so you have 6 days to lead me down the right path!! :lol

:hug

although I love Blue, I'm really liking your second choice- very chic!

Okay, after ripping it out three times, I'm back to having 17 stitches on my needle. :knit This is the result of almost five hours of work and I'm really wondering if it's going to be worth it. I can't believe I'm supposed to get eight squares finished in one week. :eek

This is my "progress" so far. :faint

You have way more patience and fortitude than I do!!! As long as you have the clues, you could always catch up on the KAL at a later date--just a thought!;)

WOW! I'm using an "I" hook and my squares are right at 4 3/4 inches. The "H" hook gave me a square that was exactly 4 1/2 inches, but the squares felt so stiff, I didn't like them. These squares are softer and just feel so much nicer!

Great news on the two finished squares! Can't wait to see the squares!

:cheer Cheering you on!!!

I finished 2 squares- and I'm using an I hook- it's 4 1/2 X 4 1/2--:clap Now I'd better get some sleep- that alarm clock goes off very early!!!! Although I'd really like to sit and crochet a little longer, I'll regret it in the morning if I do!

You have way more patience and fortitude than I do!!! As long as you have the clues, you could always catch up on the KAL at a later date--just a thought!;)

It's not really patience or fortitude. I made a promise to my mother and she refuses to let me to forget it. :rofl Catch up and me do not go together very well. If I don't keep up, I'll get discouraged and end up with another knitting project that will never get finished. I'm going to try keeping up for now. I've been crocheting for 38 years so it comes easy and is very fast. Technically, I've been knitting for 34 years, but it's never come easily because I've never pushed myself. I'm hoping this project helps improve my skills.

:cheer Cheering you on!!!

I finished 2 squares- and I'm using an I hook- it's 4 1/2 X 4 1/2--:clap Now I'd better get some sleep- that alarm clock goes off very early!!!! Although I'd really like to sit and crochet a little longer, I'll regret it in the morning if I do!

Awesome! Get some sleep!

Week 1 (1/2 Done)

I am using the H Hook with Waverly Yarn and they are exactly 4 1/2 inches

Could part of the size difference be caused by the yarn we're using?

Well, my squares are done for the week! Now, having to wait again!! LOL

Here is my squares.

[ATTACH]52206[/ATTACH]

I did the color test and mine is Blushing Pink.

Beautiful! I haven't seen any set of squares that I haven't loved!

although I love Blue, I'm really liking your second choice- very chic!

Thanks, Joanne!! :hug

My son Michael (the crocheter) was in here "helping" me figure out the best color combo... you should have seen the combinations we came up with!! :lol Oh, my, we do get silly sometimes... :hook

Here is my squares.

[ATTACH]52206[/ATTACH]

Love the colors, Lynn!! :hug As much as we anticipated the start of this CAL, are we going to go crazy waiting a week for the next clue??? :lol Maybe I'll just leave off on what I have done and do a few more tomorrow... :scrachin You know, make it last a little longer!!!

Okay, after ripping it out three times, I'm back to having 17 stitches on my needle. :knit This is the result of almost five hours of work and I'm really wondering if it's going to be worth it. I can't believe I'm supposed to get eight squares finished in one week. :eek

I'm not a knitter, so you're leaps and bounds ahead of me!!! Good luck, and I hope it gets easier as you go along... :hug

Could part of the size difference be caused by the yarn we're using?

Yes I think so. I was going to use a Caron pounder for my MC and have decided I will probably go buy the waverly in an off white if I can find it at my Joann's. The pounder is thicker than the ILTY and though I've used them before in the same project, I don't think I want to on this one.

I made one square with ILTY and with the H hook it was 4.25. Not going to go to the I hook. My pounder square was 4.5 but I had to cinch it down pretty tight in the middle (used a magic circle)

Good Morning!!!

I plan on making a few more squares tonight after work- and then decide if I'm up to all the sewing that will be involved in putting this together. 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 squares are kind of small, which means there will be more of them---or maybe not--maybe some of these will be mixed in with larger squares:think

I do like a good mystery, though so will probably forge on ahead!:hook

Week 1 (1/2 Done)

I am using the H Hook with Waverly Yarn and they are exactly 4 1/2 inches

Here is my squares.

[ATTACH]52206[/ATTACH]

Both are super pretty!!!

I'll be working on wip's until the next clue. Hopefully I can finish at least one.

Good Morning!!!

I plan on making a few more squares tonight after work- and then decide if I'm up to all the sewing that will be involved in putting this together. 4 1/2 X 4 1/2 squares are kind of small, which means there will be more of them---or maybe not--maybe some of these will be mixed in with larger squares:think

I do like a good mystery, though so will probably forge on ahead!:hook

I am not convinced these squares are finished. I still think we will be adding more rows to complete these. I was considering last night that the 3 A, B, C, squares could get white added and the 9 (3 X 3) could get one of the A, B, C, colours added. This is all speculation at this point :think of course.

I used Waverly and an H hook, and my squares are right at 4 1/2 ". Guess you get lucky on the first try sometimes.

I finished one KAL square. It is slow going, but I love working with the Waverly after so many years of using nothing but RHSS.This first square is not too difficult a pattern as far as knitting goes, but I am using it as an opportuniuty to pick up a bit of speed and make nice, even stitches. It fills the bill for me.

I love seeing all of your color choices and it's great to see so many people giving this a try.

Joanne, you can bring your finished parts to craft club and I'll help you piece them all together. I doubt that they will all be this small.

I worked for about two hours last night and my knitted square is about halfway done. My speed is also already picking up. I'm determined to do this KAL. There are "catch up weeks" built into the clues. Also, hopefully the later clues don't have as many squares.

The crochet square I can pump put in not time (depending on the square, of course). So, I'm doing my best not to let myself get overwhelmed.

I got my squares done yesterday. I forgot to take a pic and then loaned one of them to my grandma when I took her stuff to her. I'll get a pic after I get the square back from her.

I was surprised...I usually never get to use the recommended hook for projects but the H hook worked perfectly.

I decided to make a baby blanket version of this using Aunt Lydia's Shimmer Fashion thread/yarn and a G hook. Hoping I have enough of the yarn.

I am not convinced these squares are finished. I still think we will be adding more rows to complete these. I was considering last night that the 3 A, B, C, squares could get white added and the 9 (3 X 3) could get one of the A, B, C, colours added. This is all speculation at this point :think of course.

You may be right, but something tells me that the way they are is the way they are. I say this after looking at the blocking templates. I so hope the design of this one is prettier than the last CAL in 2010. That one was okay, but not totally my cup of tea.

Archived