2012 Bernat Mystery CAL and KAL

Braxxi

I was just following links from an enewsletter and I found out that my colour personality is

Coral

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/color-personality/

I actually think that is a good match and it touches my choices for this CAL... if you let your mind wander :rofl

Take the test - it can't hurt ... right :?

Fun!! Here is my result: Creamy Latte

The beauty of neutrals is their versatility. This warming palette of creamy latte hues can be molded to fit any room and any style. Layer different tones -- varying from caramel to meringue -- for a rich yet light look.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think there is anything that does assign values. That is why I asked. It appears to be just random assignment of colours we like. That is why I asked - random is the most difficult choice.

I used this information to help me decide what colors to assign

http://blog.bernat.com/2012/01/04/waverly-for-bernat-color-tutorial/

I'm going with Birch White as the main color

Contrast A- Aqua Frost

Contrast B - Butter

Contrast C- Antique

Contrast D- Classic Navy

Now I guess I should get off of the computer and try one of these squares:hook

I don't think there is anything that does assign values. That is why I asked. It appears to be just random assignment of colours we like. That is why I asked - random is the most difficult choice.

:whew Very true!i just closed my eyes, and said A B C D :lol

I finished this week's squares. I am SO glad that this week was easy, my dd really wants me to finish her afghan. She's got me on a clock now :lol

Is anyone leaving tails for sewing later? I read that somewhere and so I left 12-15" tails. Not a great pic, my camera has moods, lol.

Here is how I assigned my colors (RHSS):

MC: soft white

A: frosty green

B: light raspberry

C: cafe

D: petal pink

I'm not sure how I am liking my colors, but I'm hopeful it will be pretty when all is said and done.

And now to show what a geek I am...I did some math today. According to the percentages given on the website for each color here are the yardages that "should" be required:

MC: 48% 985 yds

A, B & C: 14% 288 yds

D: 9% 185 yds

This is taken off the color tutorial page. They said that they fixed the percentages. Oh and I rounded it up. See, I'm a total nerd :D:lol

post-22492-135897738428_thumb.jpg

Just curious :think How did y'all assign the colours for A,B and C? The MC and D were easy for me but the middle ground :? :? :?

Last year I just picked randomly, and for the most part that worked out, but there were a couple of squares where I wished I had chosen differently. This year, though, I'm going to wait to assign the ABC until a square comes up that requires it. Like this week it doesn't matter, since you make one square with each of them.

Judianne - :( Sorry to hear you won't be hooking along with us. I certainly understand it's not for everyone though. I do know that Waverly is a little thicker than RHSS even though they are both worsted weight. I hope you do stick around and chat with us. :U

Here are some pictures of each of the different colors for clue #1. The two browns look more similar in color than they are in person. Though they might be close enough that I change my color C. :think

Beautiful!

Okay, I'm almost ready to surrender on the KAL. :faint I'm on the eleventh row and it took close to an hour to get that far. :eek I'll try to keep at it; surrendering is not an option!

Here are pictures of my squares for Clue #1 on the CAL! These really worked up quickly. I did rearrange my color choices.

MC = Light Sage (First Picture), A = Coffee (Second Picture), B = Claret (Third Picture), C = Warm Brown (Fourth Picture)

The last two pictures are the squares on the table and on the sofa the finished afghan is destined to be for! I do like this square and plan on using it alone for other afghans. :D

The Claret square is much darker than it appears in it's initial picture. And, the Warm Brown is more brown than the creamy color it shows up as. Although, I wish it really was the creamy color from the photos, that would have been a beautiful contrast to the other colors!

Oh, this looks like it will be perfect!! :)

Ok I know I definitely want the MC that I have. But what's the difference between each of the other colors?

:think probably should have thought/asked about this before I assigned choices. :lol

I'm not sure how other people do it, but I changed my colors around when I put them next to each other. I don't like colors right next to each other if their tone and weight are too close. I like some contrast between colors. Outside of that, I just tinker around until I like it. ;)

:whew Very true!i just closed my eyes, and said A B C D :lol

Ooooo! I wish I'd thought of that! Awesome idea! :clap

I am loving all these squares.

Just curious :think How did y'all assign the colours for A,B and C? The MC and D were easy for me but the middle ground :? :? :?

I went for

Light pink = A

Deep Straw = B

Rose = C

I can tell you how I decided although it probably won't work for everyone depending on what colors you have chosen. I noticed that in the colors suggested in the color tutorial by Bernat, the contrast D was turtle green and contrast A was aqua frost - both in the same color line with D being the darker shade. Then I noticed Contrast B and Contrast C (butter) are also sort in the same color line with contrast C (colonial beige) being the darker shade. So once I decided on my colors (using RH Soft), I decided white was MC (like Bernat suggested), teal would be Contrast D. Using seaform which is lighter shade but similar in color to teal, I made this contrast A, and then my two other colors (lilac and grape) I asigned as B and C respectively based on C being darker shade than B.

These are a lot bolder colors than I usually work with, but I thought I would take a chance. Since there is so much white, I figure that will help even things out a bit.

Now, I realize it's kind of late to be wondering about my colors... I'm wondering about my colors!!! :eek

My original lineup was this:

post-25611-135897738433_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897738441_thumb.jpg

My Master Color is Rose Pink, and my Contrast Colors are:

A - Claret

B - White

C - Grey

D - Delft Blue

Now, I'm considering a revision, and thought I might go with:

post-25611-135897738453_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897738444_thumb.jpg

Master Color - Rose Pink

A - White

B - Black

C - Grey

D - Claret

What do you think??? :think I don't have a room to put it in yet, I'm just using yarn from my stash and want the colors to go together, that's my main goal at this point... Any of you with an eye for color have an opinion???

:ty I appreciate any thoughts you have!!

I will be able to do all but one square right up until I decide for sure which way to go, so you have 6 days to lead me down the right path!! :lol

:hug

Beautiful!

Oh, this looks like it will be perfect!! :)

I hope you're right! I keep looking at my CAL squares and wonder if they'll come out the way I picture.

And now I'm procrastinating. I need to get back to the first square of the KAL. Come on with the great pictures! It's inspiring to see everyone's awesome squares! :jumpyay

Yay! Finally home and ready to start my sqaures :) I like to see the pictures of everyone's squares-all such pretty colors.

My color is Blush Pink

Bridging the dichotomy between sweet and sophisticated, this blush pink palette transcends styles and eras. Swirled with lavenders and minty greens, it carries you to a pastoral 19th-century English cottage. Or teamed with gray and black, or magenta and chocolate, the look evokes a Park Avenue flat circa 1950.

Now, I realize it's kind of late to be wondering about my colors... I'm wondering about my colors!!! :eek

[ATTACH]52189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52190[/ATTACH]

A - Claret

B - White

C - Grey

D - Delft Blue

[ATTACH]52192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52191[/ATTACH]

Master Color - Rose Pink

A - White

B - Black

C - Grey

D - Claret

What do you think??? :think I don't have a room to put it in yet, I'm just using yarn from my stash and want the colors to go together, that's my main goal at this point... Any of you with an eye for color have an opinion???

I will be able to do all but one square right up until I decide for sure which way to go, so you have 6 days to lead me down the right path!! :lol

I like them both! Although, my favorite color is blue, so I would lean toward the first set! But, both sets are great!

[ATTACH]52192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52191[/ATTACH]

Master Color - Rose Pink

A - White

B - Black

C - Grey

D - Claret

I love this new line-up. I think it would be totally chic and avant garde.

I just made a 3 1/2 inch square:angry

...I have decided that I don't work well with the unknown. Even when I make a ghan, unless the pattern is accompanied with a beautiful picture it's a no-go for me.

I'll continue to lurk here - but will use my black and purples for another ghan I saw in one of my books...but down the road, not right now.

I made a 3.5 inch one, too. Went up 2 hook sizes and got 4.5. Now I'm trying with a K!

I finished this week's squares. I am SO glad that this week was easy, my dd really wants me to finish her afghan. She's got me on a clock now :lol

Is anyone leaving tails for sewing later? I read that somewhere and so I left 12-15" tails. Not a great pic, my camera has moods, lol.

I'm not sure how I am liking my colors, but I'm hopeful it will be pretty when all is said and done.

And now to show what a geek I am...I did some math today. According to the percentages given on the website for each color here are the yardages that "should" be required:

This is taken off the color tutorial page. They said that they fixed the percentages. Oh and I rounded it up. See, I'm a total nerd :D:lol

I love your color choices! I hope those color percentages are accurate. I don't have any extras for most of these yarn colors.

I have 4 squares done and my sister has 3 :) I did the first ahead of time but stayed with her otherwise. She did well and her 3 are even the same size. We're both using a j hook and are coming up just shy of 4 1/2 inches.

I just made a 3 1/2 inch square:angry

...I have decided that I don't work well with the unknown. Even when I make a ghan, unless the pattern is accompanied with a beautiful picture it's a no-go for me.

I'll continue to lurk here - but will use my black and purples for another ghan I saw in one of my books...but down the road, not right now.

Didn't you do the same thing last year? :think Started and decided you weren't into the mystery part? :lol

Judianne - :( Sorry to hear you won't be hooking along with us. I certainly understand it's not for everyone though. I do know that Waverly is a little thicker than RHSS even though they are both worsted weight. I hope you do stick around and chat with us. :U

Here are some pictures of each of the different colors for clue #1. The two browns look more similar in color than they are in person. Though they might be close enough that I change my color C. :think

Great job :clap

Okay, I'm almost ready to surrender on the KAL. :faint I'm on the eleventh row and it took close to an hour to get that far. :eek I'll try to keep at it; surrendering is not an option!

Here are pictures of my squares for Clue #1 on the CAL! These really worked up quickly. I did rearrange my color choices.

MC = Light Sage (First Picture), A = Coffee (Second Picture), B = Claret (Third Picture), C = Warm Brown (Fourth Picture)

The last two pictures are the squares on the table and on the sofa the finished afghan is destined to be for! I do like this square and plan on using it alone for other afghans. :D

The Claret square is much darker than it appears in it's initial picture. And, the Warm Brown is more brown than the creamy color it shows up as. Although, I wish it really was the creamy color from the photos, that would have been a beautiful contrast to the other colors!

Awesome work :clap

Great work :clap. I also remember seeing the 12" tails for sewing later so yep, that's where I left them

[ATTACH]52189[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52190[/ATTACH]

A - Claret

B - White

C - Grey

D - Delft Blue

[ATTACH]52192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52191[/ATTACH]

Master Color - Rose Pink

A - White

B - Black

C - Grey

D - Claret

Well, I'm thinking I like them both....as someone else said, your second option will look elegant. I think the first one would be more fun/playful :) so, my question is.....what kind of mood are you in :wink. They will both look great IMO

I love your choices - I think you are going to have one of the best of the ghans at the end.

As to leaving tails for sewing :no:no :no ain't never gonna sew anything together. When it is ready to go I will decide what method to use.

I have all my ends tucked in - I am not convinced that they will not have us add to what we have done this week. It just seems like a possibility.:think

I like them both! Although, my favorite color is blue, so I would lean toward the first set! But, both sets are great!

Melani - I like your original colors.

I love this new line-up. I think it would be totally chic and avant garde.

Melani -

I like the second color choice - I think this will give you a very elegant finished product. I think the first color choice will give you a more country looking finished afghan.

Well, I'm thinking I like them both....as someone else said, your second option will look elegant. I think the first one would be more fun/playful :) so, my question is.....what kind of mood are you in :wink. They will both look great IMO

You guys are AWESOME!! I am not really in any kind of mood, although I like the sound of things like "elegant" and "avant garde" and "chic" (none of which actually describes me!! :rofl)

I have enough blues and greens that I could make another afghan in those shades if I wanted to, and was considering that ~ I'd want to wait until I could see the finished product first, though, rather than do two at a time and be even more mysterious... :lol

By the way, I'm using a "J" hook and my squares are coming out right around 5". I only mention that because others have... :wink

I appreciate your input very much, ladies!! I'm still thinking about it... :think

The squares don't take much time to make though, and I can make all but one until I decide... so I have plenty of time to second guess myself!! :confused

Okay, after ripping it out three times, I'm back to having 17 stitches on my needle. :knit This is the result of almost five hours of work and I'm really wondering if it's going to be worth it. I can't believe I'm supposed to get eight squares finished in one week. :eek

This is my "progress" so far. :faint

post-57183-135897738492_thumb.jpg

post-57183-135897738495_thumb.jpg

I just completed all of the squares. I'm using the "H" hook and mine are coming out exactly 4 1/2 X 4 1/2. However, I did a swatch for the first time and it was a little shy of what it should have been. I'm glad I didn't change my hook based on the swatch. Usually, I'm true to size with whatever hook the pattern calls for.

My sister is sick and has only made 1 square. I think our allergies are acting up because our sister that lives in Bama is a smoker and we both came back sick. I was lucky to have my nasal spray and was not affected as bad as she was.

Oh well, back to working on wips until the next clue.

Good night all.

I had to go up to an L hook! Now I'm just about 5 inches but the K was just under 4.5...lol. Ah well. Hopefully using this big of a hook doesn't use Too much yarn. Anyways, after tearing out the ones I made with the 3 Other hooks, I finally have 2 done!

Okay, after ripping it out three times, I'm back to having 17 stitches on my needle. :knit This is the result of almost five hours of work and I'm really wondering if it's going to be worth it. I can't believe I'm supposed to get eight squares finished in one week. :eek

This is my "progress" so far. :faint

I think the crocheters got the best deal for this week. At a knitting site they are not overly thrilled with the KAL so far.

Spice

Earthy with a kick -- this spice palette is internationally astute. The warm tones are inspired by exotic spices of globe-spanning origins. Paired with intense and pure blues and reds, the palette is decidedly Moroccan. For a look inspired by the other side of the Mediterranean, go Tuscan by adding accent hues of sage green.

Wish I would have picked something like this...as soon as I get the other colors done in the morning I will post Picts...since I just figured out how to do it...lol

Archived